Old 10-17-2016, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Column Gear change question?? 1965

I have given a tilt steering column with auto gear change lever to a good mate of mine. He is adapting it into a 1960 Chevrolet Nomad wagon which he is also converting into a mirror image RHD.

So his question is: If for example the car is in Park and you want to pull it into drive or reverse, do you have to pull the gear change lever towards your body before you can move the lever?

The reason he is asking is, he cannot see how this works? Right now, if the column is in place in the car, there does not seem to be any resistance to stop it moving from Park right through to Low (1).

Hope I've made this clear????

Appreciate some advice on this. Thanks. My only experiance is with floor mounted gear changes.

Ian

Old 10-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, you are supposed to pull the shifter towards you to move it out of Park.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, and if I'm not mistaken, the PARK 'detent' is part of the sprung linkage associated with the column lever.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Thanks guys. He just called me and he has located the notched detent section which stops it jumping across the gears.

I think the issue was, on a Chev, when you pull the lever back, it moves the entire shaft inside the column. He was looking for the same sort of mechanism.

But on the Pontiac, the way he described it, the notched section is buried deep inside the column and difficult to see.

What he does say is, the Pontiac column is much better constructed than an equivalent Chev column.

BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT DON'T WE.....