WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > General Forums > GTOG8TA.COM Late Model Stuff

GTOG8TA.COM Late Model Stuff New products, updates, and other GTOG8TA.COM info.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Default High Horsepower Grand Am?

I've owned a 3400 Grand Am before it lasted me till 348xxx miles. Well kept but ran it hard and tranny gave up. I figured in replacement i'd get a Ford F-150 Lightning Or a Porsche Cayenne turbo. Now you may be asking why in the world i would consider a GA over these (obviously) more powerful vehicles and That's something im asking myself. But i loved my grand am i got it only with 12,000 miles and it was a great car I've always wanted to make it faster, granted. 210 Hp just isn't enough. I know these 3400's can withstand some modification to an extent but it's the transmission i worry about. I'm not too intune with GM vehicles (I'm a ford guy) but something about the simplicity of the Grand am and the reliability made me love it, Sure it had it's cheap mid 2000's interior and were notorious for a curling dash but i liked the car oddly enough it was such a good experience i really am considering another one over the lightning or the porsche. Something about the Ga's that intrigue me so much. They're quirky little cars. I just want to know if i were to get one, How would i make it be able to get to atleast 400ish horsepower without the trans blowing on me. There just isn't a huge aftermarket for these cars😕

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 PM

It is possible but will not be very cheap. You my be out of luck on upgrading the 3.4 but your trans is the same as in the grand prix which has a pretty good aftermarket. You would want to start with a 4t65e-HD out of a GTP (yours is the standard 4t65e). You will need to have the PCM tuned as the gearing is different. I know a few of the GTP guys are running some serous power through the HD trans but they are beefed up. I would look at www.3800performance.com and www.zzperformance.com and tell them what you are wanting to do and they can point you in the right direction.