Old 04-26-2024, 09:55 AM

Default Distributor

I have New spark plug wires Coming For my 67GTO. I. Set the crank mark at top dead center, #1 cyl on compression stroke. The car ran when i pulled the engine. I never pulled out the distributor. The vacuum advance is pointed at driver fender, but the router is pointed at the center of firewall. I read it should be pointed more toward the brake pedal.
Attached a pic, does this look ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	632661  

Old 04-26-2024, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET View Post
I have New spark plug wires Coming For my 67GTO. I. Set the crank mark at top dead center, #1 cyl on compression stroke. The car ran when i pulled the engine. I never pulled out the distributor. The vacuum advance is pointed at driver fender, but the router is pointed at the center of firewall. I read it should be pointed more toward the brake pedal.
Attached a pic, does this look ok?
Attached is the pic I found of the correct orientation for distributor install on 66 389, hope it helps https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1714143465
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Distributor install.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	632662  

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you did not move the distributor relative to the engine, just start wiring with # 1 at the dist. rotor position and go counter clockwise. If you want it to look correct, you need to reposition the distributor. Looks like the previous person inserted the dist slightly off. It will still work correctly if you start with the #1 wire at the rotor position.

To get it to look correct, leave the engine at #1, top of compression stroke. Pull the dist, and reinsert such that the rotor rotates into the desired position. You may need to adjust the position of the oil pump drive shaft slightly to get the dist to drop in, since the dist rotates as you drop it in due to the helical drive gear.

George

Old 04-26-2024, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like George said.
I have found that holding the distributor with vacuum advance pointing 90° of engine centerline and turn rotor to point the same way, when distibutor is mounted the rotor will be properly located due to the helical gears.

http://gtoaa.org/