Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "76 Trans Am Resurrection

This is the first post with many more to follow describing a '76 Trans Am restoration. The car has 56,000 total miles, last had a SBC with TH350, had been in storage for about 15 years. PHS shows it left the factory as a 400 cu. in. Trans Am with Muncie 4 speed.

Body is straight, chassis is relatively rust free. Engine is out, front sheet metal is off the car.

We built a '73 455 .040" over, with 6X 4 heads for this car. We used a Lunati flat tappet roller cam 10510702. Will use cast iron intake with stock '73 Quadrajet. RA exhaust manifolds will be used.

We will use a Super T10 Transmission that we already have.

First, a few questions. The front suspension is stock, which means the rubber bushings need to be replaced--not simple with no engine in the car. We're on the fence whether to replace the front stub frame along with the suspension components.

Also, what's the best flywheel/clutch combo you all have found?

Should we use the HEI distributor that was on the engine, or go to something else?

Pictures to follow--I promise.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lunati flat tappet roller? which is it?

I would check the frame for cracks and reuse the components, best rubber bushings you can find, UCA's can be Delrin.

McLeod clutch is nice; low effort but good grab. Hays flywheel starter gear may be in wrong spot (too far back).

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...85#post5568885

Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry! Flat tappet hydraulic cam.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
This is the first post with many more to follow describing a '76 Trans Am restoration. The car has 56,000 total miles, last had a SBC with TH350, had been in storage for about 15 years. PHS shows it left the factory as a 400 cu. in. Trans Am with Muncie 4 speed.

Body is straight, chassis is relatively rust free. Engine is out, front sheet metal is off the car.

We built a '73 455 .040" over, with 6X 4 heads for this car. We used a Lunati flat tappet roller cam 10510702. Will use cast iron intake with stock '73 Quadrajet. RA exhaust manifolds will be used.

We will use a Super T10 Transmission that we already have.

First, a few questions. The front suspension is stock, which means the rubber bushings need to be replaced--not simple with no engine in the car. We're on the fence whether to replace the front stub frame along with the suspension components.

Also, what's the best flywheel/clutch combo you all have found?

Should we use the HEI distributor that was on the engine, or go to something else?

Pictures to follow--I promise.

Couple of things: The car would have been built with a Borg Warner Super T-10 if it was originally a 4-speed. GM stopped using Muncie 4-speeds around late January/February of 1974. My '74 T/A was one of the last ones built with the Muncie. So, a Super T-10 is correct for the car.

I would replace the suspension bushings. I have replaced all of mine with the Energy Suspension Polygraphite bushings. Grease them up well and they shouldn't make noise. No noise issues yet with my '71 and it has been 11 years so far. The Delran bushings are maybe a better choice, but are much more expensive.

I haven't used anything other than the stock flywheel and clutch, so can't offer any advice there.

I would use the stock HEI with a good coil, quality wires and a weight/spring kit tailored to your engine.

Is that cam a Lunati Voodoo? If so, you should be really happy with performance. I built my '78 W72 engine with the Voodoo 701 (one step milder). The engine is otherwise stock with the Q-jet rejetted for the cam. On the engine dyno, we got 346 HP and 432 lb/ft of torque with the torque curve over 400 lb/ft from 2300-4400 RPM.

Good luck, sounds like fun!

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 02-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Dick, that Quadrajet will be OK, to start with....

I think you need to build up a 66 tri power for it, and somehow make an air cleaner for it to make the shaker still functional!!! I have thought some...that a big car tri power air cleaner might be something to start out with,cane go from there. I'd like to try it, I likely will never get to do it. You have tri power power parts. You are a couple steps closer to pulling off such a deal, than I.
Stay warm
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...