73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Snowflake T/A wheels on a Can Am

Considering snowflake 15x8 wheels for my CA. Have found a couple of decent sets out there but can't make a decision on whether to get gold painted, gray painted or plain unpainted w/polished outer lip. Saw one set that was white painted inside, didn't look to bad. He had it powder coated (clear) after being refinished. Also choice of center caps. T/A center caps with red or gold bird, harder to find caps with red backround and pontiac arrow. Anybody have any pictures.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The gray centers would go best with the dark grey lower rocker panels on the C/A.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe those lower stripes are black on a CA. So I like gold personally. Gold and black goes . White would be appropriate too, since they would be similar to the white/silver rallys that CA's came with.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM

have seen them both with the gold and the grey.
They both look good. Heck, what doesnt on a Can Am.
If your serious, there are some pics over on the Poncho Pride.
There are quite a few Can Am owners over there. Great guys with great cars.
http://ponchopride.4.forumer.com/index.php?act=SC&c=8

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
1991 Sunbird V6 convertible (wifes)
Old 06-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just my opinion, but gold snowflakes would look like hammered dog poop on a Can-Am. Sure they look great against black, but the entire car is not black. They definately would clash with the tri-color decals.

Here's a shot of mine with 15x8's on it. They were bead blasted and then the high spots polished (inserts of flakes were left bare aluminum). They've got 255/60's mounted on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad-CanAm.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	56258  

Old 06-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool!!
Gold centers are best left to the S.E. T/A.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 AM

Here's my before pictures of the Can am's snowflakes and the after pictures

after

These would have been the correct 15X7's available on the Can ams and they came with the smooth,stainless center caps and starburst Red arrowhead emblems on those caps.They are finished in Argent silver in the pocket areas.

Of course 15X8's are fine too and I looked for them for my Can am first, before using these that I had. I reccomend the swap alltogether, it gives the Can am's a much different look than with the Rally II's in white.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice job on the rim restoration. Yup, the 15x7 would be correct. I told my father the same thing, but he liked the look of the 15x8 that was on my 79 T/A better, so we went with that.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 PM

I have had the factory wheels on my Can Am since brand new. In my opinion, they are the best choice for the overall look of the car. I think the boys at GM did a great job on their selection of wheels for that car.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by can_am4me
I have had the factory wheels on my Can Am since brand new. In my opinion, they are the best choice for the overall look of the car. I think the boys at GM did a great job on their selection of wheels for that car.
If I remember right, you have the white Ralleye IIs. Is that correct?
Wheel choice is a matter of personal styling preferences. I personally never cared for the white Ralleye IIs. I like the American wheels I have on mine.

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM

theres the great thing about choices.
To each his own.
At least we all agree on the big picture. Its a Pontiac!

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
Old 06-22-2006, 04:50 PM

15x7 Rally II - standard equipment on Can Am
15x7 snowflake - factory option on Can Am
15x8 snowflake - factory option on the Trans Am only

Still looking for that rare factory "Mandarin Orange" Can Am. Finders fee paid.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Default Snowflakes of a different color!

I agree with Squire John...Paint them what ever color you like best! Here's a set on our 1973 Grand Am. I didn't want them painted the same as on our Trans Ams - Gold on one and Argent on the other. On this set - they are painted the same color as the 1980's Aluminum L82 Corvette Wheels - Champagne with metalic I think. According to my wheel guy - this is the same wheel that used the snowflake lugnuts, only difference was a slight dimple in the center.

Alvin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FrankNTrudyClubGA14.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	61082   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrankNTrudyClubGA2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	61083  

Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 AM

Alvin - Very nice, I like 15x8 a little more than 15x7. Gives them more depth.
How were they refinished? Painted only? Painted & cleared. Powder
coated & cleared? Can we get a little closer of a picture better
showing the color and detail.

WW3 - Can you tell me a little more about how yours were redone. I've been
checking out a lot of snowflake wheels at shows and such and so far
yours are the best I've seen. They're to nice to be painted and
cleared? That has to be powder coated. How do they look on the
car.

To both of you - did you have your wheels media blasted first before refinishing or were they redone by any of those guys who remachine them. I recently purchased a set of really decent 15x8's after seeing how they looked on Brian Bakers car. They're in good enough shape and shine that I could mount tires on them now and not be embarassed. The recesses don't look like they've ever been painted. Did they ever come with a bare aluminum finish from the factory or were all painted or coated in some fashion. If they were/are painted it would look to be a very thin coat of argent silver. They definately not the gray painted that I've seen. I recently saw white 76 Lemans that had a set of 15x8s that had the recessed areas painted white. Can't say I didn't like it. Can't say I really liked it. Jury is still out. My choice is to leave it bare or to them refinished like both of yours with a grayish/silverish metallic type color and have the outside and lace areas remachined or polished before putting some type of clear coat on them.

Bob

Old 08-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even though its strictly pontiacs these days, I still remember the fun times in my old vette. From '78 to '82, the optional vette wheels were natural aluminum, no paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA_logo.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	61390  

Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the compliment. Here's the scoop on my wheels. I gave up trying to bring them back with stripper and hand polishing. So I started shopping for one of the outfits that resurfaces them, I spoke with Tom Hegland ( Tata455@aol.com )in Minnesota and based on his sales on E-bay and seeing enough of the pictures of his finished product I shipped them off to him.
From what I gather,once received they are inspected, media blasted, painted the correct color of your choice(mine was Argent) and then put on a CNC lathe to re-cut the finish. And yes, they are then powder coated in clear and shipped back.They cost a little under $600 shipped to get back to me, but your right they are virtually flawless and garner allot of attention at shows. They are easy to take care of,just wash and dry, and are one of the best decisions I've made in restoring the Can am.
Less than year later, I had a problem with a couple of them having spots in the clear. Tom absolutely and completely stood behind his work and refinished all 4 for free! That's the kind of service that will get him the 4 GTA wheels I have that need refinished for the '92. And my undying loyalty for aluminum wheel refinishing. He posts wheels for sale over at CP in the classifieds and maybe even here too.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My rims were bead blasted, and then polished by hand. The "recesses" were left bare.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Smile Freedom of choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm1977
Alvin - Very nice, I like 15x8 a little more than 15x7. Gives them more depth.
How were they refinished? Painted only? Painted & cleared. Powder
coated & cleared? Can we get a little closer of a picture better
showing the color and detail.

To both of you - did you have your wheels media blasted first before refinishing or were they redone by any of those guys who remachine them. I recently purchased a set of really decent 15x8's after seeing how they looked on Brian Bakers car. They're in good enough shape and shine that I could mount tires on them now and not be embarassed. The recesses don't look like they've ever been painted. Did they ever come with a bare aluminum finish from the factory or were all painted or coated in some fashion. If they were/are painted it would look to be a very thin coat of argent silver. They definately not the gray painted that I've seen. I recently saw white 76 Lemans that had a set of 15x8s that had the recessed areas painted white. Can't say I didn't like it. Can't say I really liked it. Jury is still out. My choice is to leave it bare or to them refinished like both of yours with a grayish/silverish metallic type color and have the outside and lace areas remachined or polished before putting some type of clear coat on them.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the compliments. We enjoy them too - very low maintenance. This set of wheels was refinished by Wheels America. They started out as 4 wheels that I had collected over the years from junkyards (when you could still find such things there). I used this set to test there finished product...if they screwed up no harm, no foul right!!!? I didn't want to take the chance of them messing up on my OEM wheels. They cleaned them, blasted them, then painted them. THEN...I got a call from the guy behind the counter (while I was at work naturally) asking what color I wanted. I told him I wanted the factory Argent color just like I wrote on the service request slip, he didn't know what I was talking about, so after a lengthy call I told him dove grey, or whatever, just make them look good. After painting them, they lathed em and then powdercoated them clear. When I picked them up I was not so sure until I mounted the tires and put them on the car. Man, in the sunlight, midnight or regular light they look great! So now you understand my title - "Freedom of Choice". Don't let anyone else dictate to you what they should be. Do them the way they look best to you! At least your not using a set of Buick, Olds, or Ford wheels and calling them Rally II's. Personally I'm glad for the color on this set, the Argent centers were originally a Satin finish and if you put clear over them my personal opinion is that they won't look very good. I attached two smaller images per your request (hope it helpd you) - but the true color doesn't come out in the images, a light champagne metalic under the clear powdercoat. Very simular to the 80's Anniversary Corvette Champagne metallic paint. There all always plenty of experts. LOL. But Hey - life's too short. If you want to paint yours Gold, Green, Red or White, just do it and the heck with it. "Freedom of Choice"!!!!!!

Good luck to you no matter what you decide.

Alvin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WS6GA15smallfrt.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	61510   Click image for larger version

Name:	WS6GA16rearsml.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	61511  

Last edited by Alvin; 08-09-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:57 AM

Hey guys ... check out these snowflake center caps that

that I saw on a CA recently. Going to see if I can get more Info.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9200106.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	61761  

Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 AM

now thats neat. That reallt personalizes the Can Am

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X