Old 03-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default "Pulling" to the right when I apply the brakes (69' Caprice/Bonneville)

Hi guys... sorry this is a question for my Chevrolet, as the info about this on the Chevrolet forums leave more to be desired.

For a long time now I have been having a problem with my 69' Caprice "pulling" to the right when I first apply the brakes. We were thinking it was sticking (left front) and it still feel like it is, because when I let off of the brake after a stop, for a few seconds, it feels like the LF brake is sticking. We have installed a new master cylinder, new front brake pads, and a caliper on the left front and have bled and bled the brakes, but its still pulling. Has anyone had this problem before? Any advice appreciated!

BTW - this car has power front disc brakes option and is probably the exact same setup as the 69-70 Catalina-Executive-Bonneville.

Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How old are your rubber brake hoses (flex hoses?). The rubber inside can break down and clog the line. This happened to my '68 bird.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:25 AM

The rubber hoses can also expand or contract if they are old or the metal lines can be kinked and the pressure will be less at that brake or it wont let it release as fast. Is the suspension good, no binding of the caliper on the slides or a bent slide or mounting bolt, slides and bolts lubed? A worn or loose steering linkage piece or bad A frame bushings or ball joints can make it do that when pressure is applied too. I had a car that you could see the wheel go back a little when the brakes were applied because of a worn out lower ball joint, would pull like crazy, would most likely be the right side though for that. The clogged line idea sounds like a real good first choice, any junk in there will do weird things. I'm no expert by far, just a few things I have run across over the years.

Allan

Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Suspended

never replace one caliper, always in pairs, could be the new one is working and the other one is not. Also use lube on slider bolts with new o rings. are pads properly aligned and ends crimped, pads with squeaker in right direction and is anti-squeak lube applied as well?

Old 04-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try swapping your tires around, if you have a bad tire it could cause a pull like what your discribing and it may not be brakes at all.