Old 03-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default "67 Grand Prix Front Coil Springs

I'm working on my front suspension. My car came with HD F40 HVY LOAD SPRGS.On the build sheet box #13 has a ZL type. I ordered HD springs from Ames. Perf. I removed my springs and compaired heights of the new springs to the old. The new springs are taller? Has anyone came across this? Thanks Scott

Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Measuring unloaded coils will not really tell you anything.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

Plus, if you are replacing the springs, wasn't it because you felt they were worn out? New springs, assuming they are the correct ones, will restore the correct ride height and ride quality back to original specs.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm pretty sure my car spings were the original ones? They did seem wore out and tired. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM

I've put two sets of front springs on my car; had to cut each set to get the proper (stock) ride height. I used a composite blade in a circular saw to cut them. Only reason why two sets is I cut the first one too much (I hate when that happens, haha)

'68 Catalina convert. w/ 428, OEM long branch exh, QuadraJet, 3:23 Posi, GP front grille, GP bucket seats and GP tilt.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's what I'm thinking. Of course I didn't measure my car before I took the old springs out. I did check it before to see if it was sitting at the correct ride height and it was.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If the springs were originals, they'd be 45 years old. During 45 years of holding up over 2 tons, I would bet the originals springs had sagged some, and the car would sit lower, so I'm not sure what good measuring would do, other than giving you a base line. Another thing to consider, is what tires are on the car? Are they the same original size bias or radials? I think that since radials squat, the car would sit a little lower.

And don't new springs tend to "settle" a little after the weight has been on them for a few weeks. I seem to remember when I replaced the 4 coils on my 70 Bonneville, there was a note in the packaging stating something like the new springs may appear different height than your originals, but they are designed to deliver the same ride height and characteristics as the originals. Before I changed springs, my rear Rally center cap was barely visable behind the skirt. After the new springs, the center cap was about perfectly centered on the edge of the skirt, just the way it shows in any brochure picture, and the car raod much better.

Last edited by David Brown; 03-02-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It took my father's 77 Vista Cruiser a few months before it finally leveled off.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My car (GP) felt like the suspension was tired. The ball joints and bushings were worn out. Can't wait to get it back on the road. I'm sure it's going to feel like a new car! Just finished sand blasting the control arms.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a feeling the new coil springs were TOO tall!!! It's about 3" to 4" taller than before. What's the best was to cutt the springs and not cutt too much?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0311122016 (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	277999  

Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Before I cut new springs, I'd talk with the spring manufacturer, or the tech people where you bought them. Confirm that you got the correct springs for your particular car with your particular options, and that they are designed to give you the results you want. I have seen similar concerns and the answer has been that just new springs may appear taller when they are uncompressed, but they are designed to perform like the originals when under load. Plus, with thousands of pounds pushing down on your old springs for 20, 30, 40+ years, they are going to be somewhat permanently compressed. Otherwise, why would you be replacing them?

Even if your goal is to lower the car, talk to the spring tech people. Once you cut them, there is no turning back. And there are better ways to lower a car than cutting the springs. When I replaced springs on my 70 Bonneville, they were for sure taller than the old, original ones, which were sagging. After the new springs were installed, it had the correct ride height and it rode and handled MUCH better

Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm making some calls on my new front springs. My car is sitting at 10.50" at front rocker panel. With the old rear springs still in the car. Factory spec. is 9.13"

Old 03-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What tires are on the car? Sometimes the "correct" radial replacement is a different diameter and height than the original bias ply, and same radial sizes sometimes vary in diameter and height between manufacturers. I have checked for sizes and specs on various tire manufacturers web sites and compared them to original sizes. Below is a link to tires size cross reference.

http://www.carnut.com/specs/tires.html

Last edited by David Brown; 03-14-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tires aren't my problem. With my exsisting coil springs my car was sitting at the correct height. My original tires were H70-15 Red lines. Now I have 235-70-15. My new tires are .1 shorter

Old 03-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Agreed, the tires are the same. I was just saying that I was told by a spring company tech that the new spring may be taller when there is no weight on them, but they are designed differently than the originals and will give the right height, ride, handling etc when the weight of the car is on them. Now maybe that was BS, I don't know. I do know mine were definitely taller too, but after installation, the car was at the correct height and it rode and drove much better. That is why I called to talk with them and confirm that I had the correct springs for my car and options, before I installed them, or cut them.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bead blasted and painted my original springs. I reinstalled them today and am a happy guy again (lol). Now the car sits 26" compaired to 27 3/4" to the top of the wheel well. My original felt and road good. Just felt if I was going to replace my ball joints, bushings and tie rods, I should replace my springs. Working on the rear this weekend and also bought new springs. I'll see how that goes? At least there easier to change out. Does anyone have a measurement of their top of wheel openings, just to compare.I know the real measurement is taken from the rocker panels. Thanks Scott