Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dave's 65 GTO

My father in law, Dave, helped me out more than anyone ever had before when I was medically discharged from the USAF back in 05. Back in 65-70 he had a 65 GTO convertible, 4 barrel 4 speed and while driving to Milwaukee for my VA appointment he told me its the only car he would like to have back. So I looked for one I could afford and picked one up in South Carolina from a member here, then had one of Hooter's friends haul it up here for me. The plan was to build it as a thank you from me for everything he has done to help me get back on my feet.

We just found out he has congestive heart disease, my better half isnt taking that very well, and my time to do something for him appears to have gotten much shorter. So all of my other car projects just went back burner and this winter I will do as much as I can physically drive myself to accomplish and go as far as I can afford. Its the one thing this crippled veteran can do for the one person in my life that treated me like a son and better than my own father ever has.

I wish I could have found a better car to build, this one needs a crazy amount of work done. I found a couple parts cars but they wont get me most of the body parts it needs. Its full of filler and everything is rusted. If I had a different one nearby cheap I would go with it instead. I have plenty of time, little in the way of funds, and I can make some parts that I cant find or afford. So please dont hassle me about using a different one, this is what I got and its rough. I have a drive train for it already, so that isnt a big deal, and anything that will fit from a 70-72 I already have. So I will be making lots of parts for this one. I am pretty sure I am the only nutjob who would even consider rebuilding this thing.

I got the shop ready and started finding out whats under the paint today, this might take me a couple months to do. Once the paint is off I'll be taking it apart to get all the rust off the frame, and out of the body. The plan is to get the frame done first, hopefully before the snow comes, and then concentrate on building a body. I've done this kind of thing before, so its not like I am new or expecting a quick/cheap build.

Yeah I am slightly out there, see for yourself.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thank you for your service,and what a cool thing to do for another person.I have some 65 parts you may have for your project.I will sell way below value,just pay the shipping to the destination.Listed below with condition.
1) Tail Lamp Housing L & R no rust,very nice,no bezel or lens,with mint gaskets $$50.00
2) Tail Panel Chrome-all studs in tact-driver quality $25.00
3) Master Cylander w/new cap and bale,manual steering $25.00 MINT!!
4) Voltage Regulator Staggered Lettering (correct) 515 $25.00 MINT
5) Radiator Petcock.new!!! Free
6) RC-15 Radiator Cap,new in box(repop) Free
7) Valve Covers Chrome-66 no hole for the grommet,but identical to 65 Chrome is pretty good ,bright,bought NOS 20 years ago $25.00
8) Armrest Chrome bases L&R New condition Free
9) Inside Mirror nice Free
10) Muffler Hangers nice R&L $20.00
11) AC Delco Chrome breather Cap for Valve Covers Free
There is probably more,unfortunately,I do not have any sheet metal.I know I have a complete Jack assembly,trunk mats(black and grey)I'll get back to you.Pm me if interested You are a good guy!! Larry Banks

Old 11-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We'll talk parts when I start to go back together, thanks for the offer. Right now I need to find out what I need that has to be bought (like floor pans and quarter panels), and if the frame is decent enough to continue.

Well he gave me a place to live, and they fed me while I was waiting for the VA to decide how broken I am. He loaned me a truck to move from Charleston SC to Michigan when mine died after getting to Michigan, and a bunch of other things. How many guys do that for the kid their daughter is with? Its the least I can do for someone who has helped me like that.

This thing is just a driver, its not going to be a show car or a restoration. I'll upgrade the brakes and suspension so it drives decent, probably with the 2nd gen Firebird parts I have. It will get a more modern electrical system and master cylinder too. The engine is a 71 400 I have had for a long time that hasnt been run much since it was rebuilt, maybe 500 miles on it, its getting a set of 670s. Dont worry about compression and pump gas, it wont be running pump gas since I make ethanol fuel. I want some compression in it for that reason, otherwise it would get some 5C heads. Probably a 2004R and a 2.93 Olds posi I had in my 70 GTO for a while.

The plan right now is relatively externally stock looking, probably with aftermarket wheels, and a comfortable interior. Since Dave is 6'4" give or take an inch, I wont lower it so it will probably look like a 4x4. And the seat tracks will be set up so he can fit in it, nobody will ride in the back anyway. Stuff under the hood doesnt have to be correct and date codes dont matter. To build a car like that from what I am starting with would be incredibly expensive, well it would be to me and Dave doesnt care, he just wants a GTO that sounds right and drives ok.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the "gasser" stance.
That year body style would make a cool look'n 4x4.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 11-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No it wont be a 4x4, just a near stock ride height, maybe a little higher so its easier for him to get in and out. If I made it a 4x4 he would drive it in the winter and the rust would come back way too fast. Why bother doing the work nice if that is the case?

The front end came off amazingly easy, no broken bolts, no stripped heads, just put the ratchet on them and they came right out. Surprised me that with all the rust this car has the bolts werent frozen solid, the toughest part so far was getting the rear bumper off, I had to use a sawzall to cut the rusted ends off the bolts. Then I just had to break them lose and they came right off.

It has manual everything, but it will probably get power steering since I want to use the box on here for my T37.

The part that worries me most is this, around both the front and rear glass there is hardly any metal left. Its going to take quite a bit of work to repair this unless I can find a donor.

The other nasty one is at least not visible when the trunk is closed. I need to rebuild the weather strip channel on the drivers side quarter, its just gone man. This quarter came off a Tempest and they did a butcher job getting it on there. I have a bunch of welds to fix and some metal to move around so it wont need 1/2" of filler. I was under the rear putting the jack stands in, when I glanced up I thought of George Bush Sr. and his "1000 points of light."

Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow a lot of work there.I can't wait to see how it comes along.I think what you are doing is great.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

I have a couple 65s here they may have some areas we can cut out to help you along. You have a major project on your hands but it's for a good cause. Pm and I'll give you my phone number and e mail. where in Pa are you ? Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1731.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	187811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1730.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	187812  

Old 11-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys are awesome, it shouldnt be too hard to find parts for this thing with your help. I really appreciate it, you have no idea how much it means to me. Im in Michigan, in the Upper Peninsula about a mile from Superior. PM sent 3 Deuce.

With any luck we will get the body off the frame today, and start sand blasting the frame. I need to get as much cleaning done as I can before the white stuff gets here. Looks like about a week left of decent weather. Once its all cleaned up I can work inside without worrying about the weather.

Just a cursory look around after clearing the biological stuff from inside and under it it looks like only the front floor pans and trunk need replaced, not an entire floor like the Mustang I did before. I can hope right? The drivers quarter is getting a new skin, the wheel lip is moved around and its full of holes. The pass side needs lower patches and a dent pulled from right behind the wheel well. If I can get patches for the windows, I could have the metal work done by mid December.

The frame looks good from under it, I havent had the body off a early A body before, is there any particular place they like to rust the frame? Like a typical spot you guys find.

Anyone near upper Michigan have a drivers quarter window and rear glass? Wisconsin, even Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa are not a problem. Im willing to drive a bit provided the weather isnt too bad up here, we get lots of snow and white outs are a daily thing.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

I may have the trunk w/s channel on a 65 LeMans I have here in lower Mi.......JB.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO View Post

Do you have PHS for the car? That pic shows a lot more holes than a GTO emblem would have needed.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

valkyrie9901 send a PM with contact info if you would please.

That quarter was replaced, and poorly too, with a Tempest quarter, the other side has only the GTO holes. Also the gent I got it from in SC off the forum here has the PHS for it, I need to get back in touch with him to see if he still has it. He said it was real, and the rest of it appears to be GTO stuff. Doesnt have a tach but that can be fixed. I know not all of them had tachs, it would just be nice to have one.

We're taking a lunch break before we pull the body off the frame. All the bolts are out and everything is disconnected between the two, so its a simple matter of lowering the frame with the body blocked up on something. Still working on the something... We're going to build a simple dolly to move the body around until I can get the rotisserie built and the floors patched so it wont bend in half when we mount it.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it off the frame and tomorrow we'll build a dolly heavy enough to load it on a trailer. Doesnt look like any nasty rust surprises on the frame, so thats all good.

Pile of front end.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the dash, the only thing holding it on is the steering column. Might go with a VFN dash, unless I can find one. The A pillars are rotted pretty bad too and the covers are very thin. Annoying but repairable.

Also got the frame sandblasted today and built a rotisserie, just need to make some fixtures to mount the body.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quite a bit of progress is such a short time span. Keep it up!!! Hopefully you can find a dash.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 11-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Senior Chief

Thats a lot of rust for a SC car! Was it close to the coast, exposed to lot of salt air? I wish I had soem parts to offer to help you. I'm sure your Father in Law will be thrilled when he gets the car!

Johnny
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont know where he got it, but he was in the upstate a long way from the coast. My guess is pine needles collected under the trim and rotted it out. The windshield was stuffed in with the rust already there though, someone tried to stop the leaks and failed.

We built a rotisserie yesterday, headed over to pick up the frame right now. My neighbor has an industrial blaster and a bigger welder, my little 110v sheet metal rig wouldnt be enough. More pics later tonight.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Chief

At this rate you will have it going in no time!

Johnny
Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelFun View Post
At this rate you will have it going in no time!
Well I am limited in how much I can do each day, and I have been pushing myself a bit too hard the last few days. Eventually the pain will catch up and I will be stuck in the house for a week or more. If I can do a job sitting down, or at least most of it off my feet, I can still do ok. Its the getting up and down, going to get tools, and standing that really hurt. I am finding ways around the limitations, but there is no way I could do this for a living.

The goal is having it drivable by the time the snow is melted, so late May early June. His birthday is May 5 so that would be a good deadline to shoot for. With enough pain meds and a helping hand from friends it might be done by then.

It started misting yesterday before I was done with blasting the frame, so I left it overnight and went back for it today. It turned orange with a no-slip finish, tried a wire wheel and found it would take all day. So I broke out the smaller blaster and hit it again. Seems to have cleaned up nice.

I'll probably go with new boxed control arms out back so we can run a swaybar. I figure a WS6 power steering box, springs and swaybar up front from a TA should make it a fun car to drive. If I can get discs cheap enough it will get them, otherwise drums would work ok for a driver. Tomorrow we'll mount the body on the rotisserie, pull the suspension apart, and prep the frame for rust encapsulator, epoxy primer, and paint.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:34 PM

Hey big brother. You got your hands full on this one thats for sure! There certainly are some rust issues there. In fact, you may have more rust than you do car! No worries though. If you put your mind (and your tools) to it, you can get it knocked out in short order.

All of you who have offered help to Todd on this one, THANK YOU! Its great to see a bunch of guys care enough about someone elses project to get involved (even though you ARE Pontiac guys) . Again, thanks for helpin my brother out on this one.

Its a fine thing you are doing for Dave. Makes your little brother proud! He will certainly never forget it either Im sure.

PS... if you need a good engine for it, Im sure I can find a 440 around here somewhere. LOL!!!

Laine Stahr
US Army, Aviator
101st Airborne Division

Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Laine, a 440 sounds interesting as long as its a 400 block with a 4" crank.. Have fun with that Blackhawk you drive at work.

Im happy I didnt spend $900 on a rotisserie this one works pretty well for $200 and some time. I want some changes so I'll probably build another one and use this one for frames and pickup cabs.

A pillars are rough, this one is the worst. Pass side has a couple holes but there is still enough there to work with. Drivers side needs another one or lots of time building one.

Back seat area has two spots that need attention, otherwise not too bad.

Not much left of the dash, it was the wiring holding it in not the column.

If I can figure out how to get it on the trailer, the body will get blasted tomorrow or the next day. I need to run the VIN in Marquette and see if its clear, Im not going to spend much time on it if the title cant be put in our name. It would really tweak me off if it turns up stolen or some other crap like that.