Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom that makes sense now. The overall would have to be 2.136 and that would make the smooth portion of the threaded end agree. I guess us cowboys out here in nowhere land would have called it a shoulder just below the hex.

The kits for the A and B body would have had specific parts now becoming more apparent. The drawing I have is for the B body and shows the accelerator(throttle) rod and oddly angles over to the curved extension mid hole. I guess this would have been the throttle ball stud hole. The one you list as 1.125 long.

I have been assembling the kit on my benched A body trip set up and with the stud dimentions you gave. The throttle cable has to angle over to the center carb similar to the B body rod. This angle is not something I see in the limited pictures of the set up on A bodies. I first thought that it could be the throttle cable mount bracket and associated with the cut and reweld however moving the bracket closer to the rear carb would cause interferrence. I then used the J strap longer hex stud and all seems to straighten right up.

Another observation. That black or blue return spring is mentioned in the Ames catalog. Anyone get one of these and noted the smaller diameter and blue color?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a revised drawing of the cable stud and spacer for the "other" throttle lever extension. I used the info posted by Tom V., War Eagle, and my own measurements.

The overall length is not exactly what Tom V. measured originally, but closely matches what I understand from his later postings.

Also, regarding the hex spacer made from 5/16" hex stock---the ones I've made do fit and work fine. If someone lets me know where to buy 11/32" hex rod, that would work, also. It would be better to use the size that Pontiac supplied in the "kit."

Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tripower '64 GTO Throttle Stud 001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	273521  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick another fine mechanical drawing. I guess I was thinking that the area just below the hex, with smooth shoulder then the thread, would total 7/8, just as you said in an earlier post. This would allow the .124, the .138, then the spacer of .312. The exposed thread for the nut would be .301. A fairly comfortable thread surface.

I think to get the 11/32 hex you might have to drag out your dividing head, or spin index to get it from 3/8 hex stock or round bar.

Last edited by War eagle; 02-05-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dimensions for the thread length and smooth round length will result in two threads showing beyond the castellated (spell checked OK) nut. I'll post pictures of the stud installed showing details the next few days.

I'm going to stick with 5/16 hex material for the spacer. War Eagle, what does the drawing you have show for the hex spacer size?

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I'm going to stick with 5/16 hex material for the spacer. War Eagle, what does the drawing you have show for the hex spacer size?
Dick, I am going to check and see if one of our fab shops (that deals with the screw machine guys) could whip up a batch of these studs for a fair price. Seems like the Curved Linkage is out there and more examples are being posted but having the right stud would be the final touch. It would be a no profit deal.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick the kit instructions I have are for the large car and uses the tri-angle extension. This uses no spacer but does show that the lever on the carb is drilled at the index bump and a bolt and nut secures the extension at the top and another bolt and nut at the bottom. The drawing is marked 541158 Mechanical Linkage Instruction.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did a quick check at McMaster-Carr for 11/32 stock with no luck in any material. In any case I suspect it would have to be cad plated to make it right.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by War eagle View Post
Dick the kit instructions I have are for the large car and uses the tri-angle extension. This uses no spacer but does show that the lever on the carb is drilled at the index bump and a bolt and nut secures the extension at the top and another bolt and nut at the bottom. The drawing is marked 541158 Mechanical Linkage Instruction.
That is the Super Duty 389 Mechanical Linkage Instructions I believe. I have a copy of that print also somewhere.

Has a nice little "box" on the print (with the 4 different progressive linkage settings you can get with the 4 holes in the Tri-angle Extension and the two hole rear extension arm).

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

good to know Tom.

I did find some stainless steel 11/32 hex bar but they wanted 60 bucks to package. However if someone lives in or close to Sante Fe something california, The Fry steel company will let it be picked up without the huge packaging price. 1-800-423-6651. I would have bought 36" ( one pound) for the 7.35 but not with the 60 bucks just to package then pay frieght too!!! There is also a 9.00 cut fee. The 12ft stick would be best and hacksaw to 36" and send. The stainless benefit would also probably look good without plating. Let Dick know if anyone lives in that area.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Well if "Santa Fe something", California has the 11/32 Hex stock (In Stainless) then it should be available in the Detroit Areas through one of the major Stainless Steel material suppliers I deal with. I will check on it tomorrow.

Tom Vaught

Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom any luck with the 11/32 stainless hex bar?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Boost Engineer

Been out visiting the eye doctor for a eye infection so visiting with the stainless boys has been delayed a bit.

Will still try and see what the story is for everyone.

Tom Vaught

Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone got a Pontiac Engineering drawing showing the '64 Tripower mechanical throttle linkage with the curved extension (the one we've been discussing)?

Several of us have the drawing with the triangular lever extension, but I've not seen any with the curved type.

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Got my eye cut in 3 places yesterday to get rid of the infection so still not "looking" hard for 11/32 stainless hex stock.

Tom Vaught

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm still looking for info so we're sure these parts are "correct." War Eagle and Tom Vaught provided quite a lot of info that allowed me to go ahead and put together kits. PY now has the '64 GTO-only kit in their catalog.

I have attached copies of the factory drawing of the 9777070 linkage kit (big Pontiac) introduced in 1964. I finally bought one of these linkage sets off eBay today, but I don't think it has the long ball stud to secure the top of the extension to the original center carb throttle arm. I'm hoping the hex spacer is included, however, so I can get my repros exactly right. I have not ever seen the 9777060 linkage set drawing for the '64 GTO.

I've also attached the 541158 kit drawing. This linkage was introduced in 1961 and uses the large triangular lever extension. I finally got one of these lever extensions as part of a '62 Tripower off eBay, but this info is of very little use for our GTO's. I'm sure some GTO's ended up with the 541158 kit installed, but I've never seen one.

In any case, if someone has what they think is an original "long ball stud" or "long straight stud" for the center carb throttle connection, please let me know. I would love to get a picture or borrow whatever pieces you have to get measurements. I've attached the best picture I have of my repro assembled showing the "long stud" but would like to be sure of the dimensions.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tripower Rod & Tube Factory Blueprint.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	334937   Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 Mech. Linkage 9777070 Right half 001.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	334938   Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 Mech. Linkage 9777070-left half 001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	334939   Click image for larger version

Name:	'62 Tripower 001.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	334940   Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 GTO Linkage Detail 009.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	334941  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow In your state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I'm sure some GTO's ended up with the 541158 kit installed, but I've never seen one.
Dick, I was watching that ebay auction of the linkage you secured. Although it seems to have an extra hole drilled in it it's a nice example of those rare early mechanical kits.

Have you or anyone else gone to see the 64 GTO in the Colin Comer collection which is advertised as being in your state (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)???

I have heard he is not the friendliness person, but it would be worth a try for pics and measurements of his linkage shown in the engine pic?

PS - Always wondered if his car still has the vacuum reserve tank mounted in the RH inner fender?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64 Early Mechanical Linkage (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	334944   Click image for larger version

Name:	64 Tri-Power Early Mechanical Linkage.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	334945  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried in 2011 to see this car to collect details that don't show on the pictures I've seen. Colin Comer said he goes "west" in winter for a few months. I haven't tried to contact him again, but it's certainly worth a try. He's less than two hours from my house.

Do any of you ever wonder how this will all go when we're gone? This manic attention to detail that we persist with will change. When you look at a Model T Ford or '30's Packard, details like throttle linkage, cooling fan design, color of the ignition coil, bolt head design, and carb color don't mean much since no one is left that knows what these things looked like when the car was built. A survivor like Colin Comer's '64 GTO will deteriorate with time until someone restores it to what they believe to be "factory original." One thing this person will have available that the old Fords & Packards do not is detailed pictures. Don't we all wish we had digita cameras when our GTO's were new? Will anyone care 50 years from now like we do?

Sorry for the rant, but I often wonder if anyone else thinks about this.

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

More than I care to admit!

We are just the temporary caretakers of these cars for now. When we are gone these wonderful automobiles will find a new caretaker.
Just enjoy the experience of these cool old muscle cars while you can. :-)

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.