Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AFB. Quadrajet first appeared on Pontiacs in 1967.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, I'm no OHC6 expert, but I thought the first Pontiac use of the Q-Jet was for the '66 4 bbl OHC6 in the A body (and continuing in '67 in the Tempest & Firebird).

Otherwise I agree, the V8s didn't get the Q-Jet until '67 and even then, only the Firebird & GTO 400s and the big car 428s got it, the rest still used the AFB.

Wasn't until '68 they went across the board with the Q-Jet.

So the 4 bbl 326s always used the AFB, not until the larger bore '68 350 did the small motor get the Q-Jet.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not familiar with the AFB at all. Are they spread or squar bore carb? Are they very expensive to come by?

A new question on the seat belts. Its my understanding that were not required untill 66 correct? But they were an option for the front seats only in 64? So would all 64s have bolt bosses to add seatbelts to the front?

Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM

The AFB is a spread bore, but the difference between bore size is slight.
Not particularly expensive to obtain for the more common ones.

All '64 s have seat belt bolt bosses.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well now I own a 64 tempest convertible.

Hope this link works.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MR%3AUS%3A1123

10 hour round trip drive. The tempest got 20mpg on the way back.

I'm having mixed feelings about the purchas.

Pro's
The body is pretty darn solid. Was under neithr the car, looking at the under side of the doors and trunk would make a body man smile. Paint is in just OK driver condition. It has dings and scratches. Top is real nice. exhaust is new and sounds nice (no drone). Drives pretty good down the road. Motor feels strong and the 2speed was plesent.

That was everything I was looking for but also more of a project then I was looking for.

Cons
It needs all new weather stripping. I got the bench seat back and it needs recovered, all the wiring is a choped up mess, the dash needs repaired where the radio goes and all the interior metal pieces could stand to be repainted, the blinker switch is bad and messing with the tail lights, Gas guage doesn't work, Door latches springs on both doors need replaced. The top pump needs work. I saw one of the cylinders was disconnected. The carpet is new but their was no underlayment. The motor needs some tuning as it tries to keep running when I shut it off. The idle is too high right now. Almost woudn't start when I filled up. I suspect the ignition switch is going bad. The seller was very nice. He gave me another gauge cluster along with another fuel guage cluster and some visors since they were missing. He also made a long trip to get the bench seat back.

Nothing here that realy scares me I just don't want to put the time in to fix it all. I'm considering selling it right away. If I don't I will have a lot more questions.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW YOU DID GOOD!!! NIIIICE RIDE... WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS???
I'M PARTIAL TO CONVERYS.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
WOW YOU DID GOOD!!! NIIIICE RIDE... WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS???
I'M PARTIAL TO CONVERYS.
Plan right now is to just list all the things that need fixed and prioritize.

I still can't get over getting 20mpg!

1. It very annoying not having a fuel gaug. I read that they are a 30 ohm sender.
2. Need to fix the blinker switch. That doesn't sound fun at all.
3. Going rob the seat belts from one of my brothers cars
4. Want to get the convetible pump working
5. Fix the door latch mechanism
6. Recover the front seat$$$
7. Replace iginition switch

Time for some QUESTIONS

* Any Members have some junk 64s they are parting out. I'm looking for some sources.
* The door vent window is missing the latch. I assume it broke off and is not fixable. How are the vent windows attached? I assume I would have to remove the door panal and could see how they are attached inside the door?
* Are the vent windows to the convertible unique or the same as the hardtop?
* Anyone have a scan of a wiring diagram?
* Did the 64s have any interior lights?
* I noticed the front bumper is not strait on the car and is rubbing the grill nose. I can't believe I didn't see this before. I hope there is some adjustment to be made?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Try...

taking a few degrees out of the timing. Just might fix the high idle/ run-on issues with one fell swoop. Worth a try...back it off 'til the idle comes down...see how she runs. Good luck. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
taking a few degrees out of the timing. Just might fix the high idle/ run-on issues with one fell swoop. Worth a try...back it off 'til the idle comes down...see how she runs. Good luck. Ron
What were the factory timing specs for the 326?

Initial?
Mechanical?
vacuum advance?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The title for my tempest says Pontiac LeMans. The mystery thickens!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
The title for my tempest says Pontiac LeMans. The mystery thickens!
I wouldn't read too much into that. The ladies at the DMV don't necessarily know what they are looking at, and can't distinguish between the various trim levels like you or I can.

BTW - the title for my GTO says "Lemans HT Cpe". http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...TO/Title-1.jpg

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Keith.

Found these specs for the 326 on yahoo answers. Still waiting for some of the catalogs to come in the mail.

Spark Plugs
The 326 engine was equipped with type 45S spark plugs. Spark plug gap was .035.

Distributor
The 326 did not feature adjustable ignition points as with most other engines. Instead, the distributor's adjusting screw must be turned in a clockwise direction until the engine misfires, then rotated in the opposite direction one-half turn. Dwell angle was 30 degrees. (What the heck are they talking about here with the "did not feature adjustable ignition points" then tell you how to adjust them?)

Compression
Each cylinder must produce a compression rating within a range of 140 and 180 pounds.

Fuel Pump Pressure
Fuel pump pressure at the outlet fitting must be between 5 and 6.5 pounds.

Idle Speed
If the 326 with the manual transmission did not feature the Air Injection Reactor (AIR) Emission System, the factory idle speed was 600 revolutions per minute (rpm). If equipped with the AIR system, idle speed was 700 rpm. The 326 with the automatic transmission and no AIR system yielded an idle speed of 500 rpm. This model equipped with the AIR system displayed an idle speed of 600 rpm.

I also figured out how the vent window installs and it looks like I can buy a new knob or latch for it.

Still looking for answers on these

* Did the 64s have any interior lights?
* I noticed the front bumper is not strait on the car and is rubbing the grill nose. I hope there is some adjustment to be made?
* Still looking for some member that might have some old 4 door parts cars.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car looked very good to me. It is a Tempest Custom convertible (Series 21), they did NOT make a Tempest convertible (Series 20).

The VIN prefix will tell you if it was originally a 326 or 6 cyl car, 814 or 614. A Lemans VIN prefix would be 824 or 624. Since all GTOs were V8 Lemans', the VIN prefix is always 824.

However, your interior is not original to the Tempest Custom, appears that somebody swapped a '64 Lemans convertible interior into it, the bucket seats were not available for the Tempest Custom convertible, but standard in the Lemans.

The Tempest Custom convertible had a bench front seat. From what it looks like on the dash, yours had the code 209 Dark Aqua & Medium Aqua std. all vinyl Tempest Custom interior originally. You will find the Trim code on the firewall Data Plate.

The Paint looks to be Aquamarine? That makes sense for the Aqua interior. Pant code for Aquamarine is P which seemed to be way more popular than the Pinehurst Green on my GTO.

The rear armrest panels are not familiar to me. The Lemans rear armrest panels would have had a courtesy light in them on each side.

I think the Tempest Custom convertible had those as well. I could be wrong, but the covering on them in your car is not correct for a Lemans or Tempest Custom convertible.

The Lemans convertible also had a courtesy light under the dash in the front. I'm pretty sure it was also standard in the Tempest Custom convertible.

There is a main Wiring Diagram in the Tempest Shop Manual, it also has the diagram for the Top Motor circuit as a separate view but you will also want to get ahold of the REVISED/CORRECTED main Wiring Diagram from the Service Craftsman News. It was in SCN No. 3 for '64.

I have attached a copy of the SCN page if it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64-scn-3-11.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	287498  

Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John U DA MAN! Thanks for the scan.

prefix is 814.

I had the original bech put back in the car and gave him back his bucket seats. He spray dyed the door panels and back seat black. The original bench seat is a two tone white and blue(Dark aqua?)

He did confirm the paint was AuqaMarina.

I will do some looking and see if their are any wires for the coutesy lights both under the dash and on the rear arm rests.

I will see if I can find that SCN No. 3 from the Service Craftsman News. That new to me.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're welcome. The scan IS the SCN page.

Now you should get a copy of the Shop Manual and Body Manual to get the other Wiring Diagram details you might need. They may be repro'd now? In any event a lot of them out there and worth the bucks I think as you sort the car out.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The door panels and rear seat are reproduction Lemans, which is a different pattern than Tempest Custom . Tempest Custom convertible interior colors were blue, aqua, or red. Saddle N/A on TC vert. If your bench seat has white on it, it is not correct. It should be light and dark blue or light and dark aqua depending on trim code.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will do.

Next question. How do I get to the blinker switch? does the horn piece just pull right off. I don't want to break it.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64woodwheel View Post
The door panels and rear seat are reproduction Lemans, which is a different pattern than Tempest Custom . Tempest Custom convertible interior colors were blue, aqua, or red. Saddle N/A on TC vert. If your bench seat has white on it, it is not correct. It should be light and dark blue or light and dark aqua depending on trim code.
He said something about using GTO door panels. I will post some pics this weekend of the bench seat.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Will do.

Next question. How do I get to the blinker switch? does the horn piece just pull right off. I don't want to break it.
The center emblem pops out. Remove the three machine screws you see behind the emblem. Keep track of all the parts and their order of assembly. Remove the steering wheel nut. With a SW puller, remove the SW. Remove the turn signal switch lever. Remove the lower dash trim from around the steering column. Remove the steering column retainer bracket and wire guard strip. Remove three screws that secure the TS switch to the column tube. Remove old TS switch. Install new switch. This is a PITA. The turn signal switch housing is installed by positioning it on the column tube so that it is retained by tightening the three screws. But only when it is in the correct position. Repeat prior steps in reverse order to re-assemble. I have never done one with the column still in the car. Might be easier to remove the entire column first.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you use a reproduction switch, they are designed for 65-66 column tubes. You will need to grind an extra notch in the end of the column tube for it to fit. (This applies to repro BPC switches)