Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default AH NATURAL

THANKS JOHN V. My resto book is loing gone somewhere. had PAUL and JIM''s autograph on it... DARN
Carbs will stay as is; my ole' buddy TOM V. set them up that way, but I DO appreciate the info.
The fan will be returned to natural. Car was built 4E so that closely fits what you reported!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Boost Engineer

I can see where the Rochester Carburetor Engineer might think that some Tri-Powers might run better in the Hot Summer Weather in southern Illinois. (:>) with the pump rod in the outer hole. So you see it was more than just a High Altitude mod, folks.

As my car was 4A, Bill, the Curved Linkage could be installed on your carbs and be correct too, if you ever went mechanical.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good point,Tom. Question. If a dealer had installed the mechanical kit, in the '60's, what would they have removed AND what would they just plug off. That would make or keep it correct>

Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Boost Engineer

My car still had the Vacuum Can mounted. The Thermostatic Valve on the intake cross-over had a looped section of vacuum hose connecting the nipples. The Vacuum Nipple on the front carb has a piece of lead shot installed in the vacuum passage, (a common carburetor passage blocking method). There was no vacuum diaphragm or vacuum switch installed. The vent port/tube on the front carb had a rubber plug installed over the nipple of the tube. The carbs still had the heavy springs on the secondary carbs. The rear lever/shaft was installed by Rochester Products on Job #, Crows foot peaning of the screws. The Curved Extension had the longer accelerator cable stud that also attached the Curved Extension to the carb lever.

Those are the changes I remember clearly, my pumps were in the inner hole, LOL.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

Default comments

Bill

The engine looks great, nothing beats raising the hood of a 64-66 Goat and seeing an engine like yours.

I never worry whether a bolt head is plated or natural, it takes the enjoyment out of restoring these great cars. I want my engine to look stock but not to the point of worrying about minutia(sp?) Try to follow the factory guidelines but you'll see that there were many areas that are still vague as to what is 'correct'.

regards and happy cruising this summer..

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 05-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Senior Chief

Bill:

I started this response twice, and deleted it twice. I feel very uncomfortable providing a critique of someone’s work, even when it is requested by that individual. However, with the engine not yet mounted in the car, I would be remiss in not offering some suggestions. It would become rather difficult to act, if you decide to do so, once the engine is installed. Reluctantly, I offer the following suggestions for your consideration.

Ron Cozzo is correct in that the distributor bracket and its bolt are natural. The bracket in the photo appears to be zink chromate. Zinc chromate has a much brighter appearance than clear cadmium, with cadmium being the plating of choice in 1964 for most of the nuts, bolts, washers and brackets. The distributor body is painted black in a 50º sheen. However, I do not believe that your application utilizes the lower Delcotron Mounting Brace (I believe Ron referred to it as a bracket), but would use the Delcotron Extension Plate, which would be silver (clear) cadmium ‘cad’ plated.

I can’t tell if it is just the photo, but the exhaust manifolds appear extremely light, perhaps the result of an application of a ceramic or jet spray coating (I am not familiar with either). Before rust became visible, the manifolds leaving the foundry/machine shop would have a darker cast gray appearance with a slight sheen to them. Spray paints and dressings are available to provide this appearance. (I wish I had ceramic coated my manifolds, as I am having a whale of a time with rust.)

Just a general comment. I noticed that the back side freeze plugs are not painted, which leads me to believe that new freeze plugs were installed throughout. I have seen some recent offerings where the freeze plugs have had numbers stamped in them. The originals were blank, with no stampings provided, and any visible inscriptions on the plugs should be hidden.
When the engines were painted, the corporation wanted them done efficiently = $, quickly =$, and per QC standards = $. To facilitate this $ goal, the use of the chrome valve cover required the use of jigs. A jig properly positioned above the valve cover would still permit paint overspray on the valve cover gasket, which was originally cork, and some overspray on the bottom lips of the valve cover. However, the valve cover retaining bolts would have little, if any, paint coverage. I have seen the results of improperly positioned jigs, where they appeared to ride high on one side, and low on the other. In these instances, the overspray rides higher up on one side, but is not present on the low side, with the valve cover lip, cork gasket, and upper ~1/4 in. of the head free of any paint. Where the bolts are exposed, some paint has been noted on only the outside edge of the bolt, with little noted in the recessed surface of the bolt head. And again, this would only appear on two of the four bolts. Surprisingly, over the years, I have seen little evidence of paint overspray on the bolt heads, but significant amounts on valve covers.
As a result of the use of the jigs, you can often see the demarcation line where the paint stops on the top of the bracket that is used to secure the oil dip stick tube. This bracket is secured by the front, right side valve cover bolt. Because of the use of the jigs, the oil dip stick was removed to facilitate the placement of the jigs over the valve covers, and the dip stick handle/bell would not have been on the engine when the engine was painted, and should not have paint coverage.
As the fuel filter bracket was painted attached to the engine, the retaining nut was present, and should also be painted engine blue.
I checked my notes and I specifically addressed the water pump bolt located at the 12 o’clock position that also secures the upper alternator strap. This bolt should be painted engine blue.
However, unlike the water pump bolt, the two bolts securing the throttle bracket should not be painted, and should be cad plated.
Can you comment on the left side valve cover, as I believe by mid January, the supply of the original valve covers minus the hole and plug would have been exhausted.

In the small catalog “A device for shrinking time and distance” there is a picture on page 7 showing two small hoses feeding to/from the Carburetor Thermostatic Vacuum Control Assembly. In the photo, the two hoses are shown as being painted engine blue. I typically do not give much credence to factory photos, but believe this photo does depict how normal production engines were painted. On the Vacuum Hose to Reserve Tank Connector Tee that I removed from my April built car, there was still evidence of engine paint on one of the ports (“A” in picture) of the Tee. I believe it was the practice of the plant to mount these two hoses prior to painting the engine, and as such, would be painted engine blue. When I obtained this car, the entire vacuum system except for the hoses, was still intact, and unmolested. Unfortunately, a prior owner replaced all the hoses, and I don’t know if the Tee was also painted, or if the paint was transposed onto the Tee when it was inserted into the hose. As there is no other evidence of blue engine paint on the remaining surfaces of the Tee, I believe the Tee was not present, and that the paint was transferred to the Tee when it was inserted into the hose following the painting of the engine.

I have included a picture of the fan and fan clutch for your reference.

The starter cable was routed (except earlier production) behind the rear of the left manifold and through a cad plated metal tube. An asbestos tube/sleeve (sort of a brick red in color – two in photo still need to be cleaned) slipped over the metal tube. The sleeve provided protection against the heat, and protected the cable insulations from damage from the sharp upper surface of the metal tube.

Bill, if you have a junk yard nearby, you might be able to find the correct valve cover breather cap (trapezoid). I have found several of these push on caps on other GM products, and recall finding some of the ones pictured on large and small GMC and Chevy trucks. The only difference is that the GTO’s are chromed, and the others painted black. All other details are the same.

If your carb tags are repro (my eyes aren’t that great), you have just turned your three carburetors into 1966 GTO carbs, assembled in December, 1965. My April built car had carbs assembled in March and April, and only the center carb tag was anodized, and it was done in black. Hold on to your original tags if you still have them.

Thanks again for inspiring me in learning how to include digital pictures in this forum. I wish I had learned earlier, as it would have been nice to have digital pictures of unrestored parts and assemblies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 151.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	285787   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 143.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	285788   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 150.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	285789   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 142.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	285790   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 147.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	285792  

Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Senior Chief

Bill,

A couple of more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 149.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	285798   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 146.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	285799   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 144.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	285800   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 25, 2012 Selected GTO Pictures 145.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	285801  

Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up PICS

Jake64 - Glad you are able to post pics as they are very helpful!

I believe there were two fans used on the 64 GTO's and I see you show a black painted curved tip fan which is shown on a 64 GTO 4 BBL. test car article in pic below. Is the bigger aluminum straight blade fan seen on other 64 test cars and on a recently posted 8000 mile survivor used with the 3.90 equipped cars ??

Pics of a few Vacuum components - Tee #538962 showing the paint (blue on nipple protected from heat by the hose and exposed paint being burnt) and two different length Tee brackets. The long one is whats on my 66 Vacuum Tri-Power car. Not sure when the short version was used?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64 4BBL. August 64 Car Craft.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	285814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Power Vacuum parts (4).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	285816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Power Vacuum parts (5).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	285817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Power Vacuum Parts (7).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	285818   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 GTO YR Engine Bay (32).jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	285819  

Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 Oil Fill Cap - Non Calif.

An NOS example I just acquired. The seller told me this is the AC box that it was in when he found it and it's missing one end flap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NOS 64 AC Oil Fill Cap (2).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	285822   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOS 64 AC Oil Fill Cap (3).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	285823   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOS 64 AC Oil Fill Cap (10).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	285824   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOS 64 AC Oil Fill Cap (11).jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	285825  

Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LABOR OF LOVE

Spent Memorial day shoehorning the engine back in where it belongs. Didn't even scratch anything. BOB V. says I'm "old old school". I was "nervous as a ____________ in church"!
Now lots more detailing!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ENGINE IN 001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	286035   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINE IN 002.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	286036   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINE IN 003.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	286037   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINE IN 004.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	286038  

Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default WORK WORK WORK

Now I'm waiting on the correct alt. fan and my aluminum bladed fan to get back..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ENGINE IN 005.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	286039   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINE IN 006.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	286040   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINE IN 007.jpg
Views:	37
ID:	286041  

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks fantastic. I'm not that up on 64's; so the wire loom bracket in 64 in on the top of the passenger valve cover? I know on 65-66 it's on the driver's side valve cover.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If the 65 vacuum system is the same as 64 , your line from the vacuum switch on the center carb to the rear carb pot should be reversed--- smaller radius bend to the switch.
Some pictures on this old thread.http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=620328 #4 #10

Last edited by Carl A; 05-30-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Boost Engineer

Carl A is correct. Steel Vacuum Line needs to be flipped end for end.

An easy mistake, Do not know if I installed that steel line that way years ago.
If so, brain fade.

Tom Vaught

Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK I TURNED THE STEEL LINE AROUND. DOES THAT LOOK TO BE ABOUT THE CORRECT POSITION?? I'll cut my vac hose next. Does the line come to close to the rear air breather base. LMK!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	286155  

Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Boost Engineer

You can shift the metal line somewhat forward, by increasing the length of the rear hose going from the line to the Vacuum Diaphragm.

Tom Vaught

Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They made bent tip fans in both steel and aluminum. Your blades should be aluminum. The steel fans weigh more. There are also different fan blade widths on some of the strait blade aluminum fans. The Pontiac fan clutch are different than the aftermarket fan clutch. The clutch has a date code in the front that was put on with some kind stamp.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
OK I TURNED THE STEEL LINE AROUND. DOES THAT LOOK TO BE ABOUT THE CORRECT POSITION?? I'll cut my vac hose next. Does the line come to close to the rear air breather base. LMK!!!!
Bill - Seems to need a little tweak / bend so the steel vacuum line matches right up to the vacuum switch nipple where the OEM ribbed hose holds them together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1966 GTO YR Engine Bay.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	286156  

Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BETTER? ABOUT AS GOOD AS I GET IT. lmk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vacuum line 001.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	286170  

Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, here are some attachments that might help.

First is the factory illustration. It depicts the '64 big car so not everything is absolutely identical for the GTO, but that particular line should be identical.

Rest of it are pics somebody sent me some time ago of what appeared to be a pretty original set-up. Hopefully enough of that line is shown to give you a good idea of it.

The rubber hose at the diaphragm was supposed to 7/32" x 1-1/4" according to the Parts List associated with the Illustration (item 12).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tripower1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	286175   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0050.JPG
ID:	286176   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0053.JPG
Views:	35