Old 10-18-2015, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, I hear ya. This setup (which I feel I must remind everyone) came with my car. It's got one of those basic probes you slide into the radiator between the fins to measure temps. I checked to make sure it was still in place, it is. Then I realized it's outside the found shroud, at the edge of the radiator, so at highway speed in cool temps, it's probably below the set turn on speed due to airflow around it and through that part of the radiator.

Today, I hope to yank that fan. Unless I go to the Pontiac show in Port Jeff instead. Not sure I have time for both.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, in keeping with my theme of, if it ain't broke, BREAK IT, well, ya.

The prior owner, in his infinite wisdom, used Allen he'd bolts to hold the pulley to the pump. I got two bolts lose, twisting my Allen wrench in the process. I bought a new Allen socket to use, which promptly stripped the bolt heads!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll have to pull the water pump now and have a machine shop get the bolts out.

I'll pissed. Cheap tools from home depot. Wrong bolts. ARGH

Since i have a spare water pump, I may try and use that. I can take the opportunity to clearance the plate.

Because this pump is unknown to me(it can with the car as a spare) what should i look for make sure it's good before using it? It turns by hand, but didn't spin if i try to spin and release it. The one on the car spins freer.

Video being uploaded.

Also, what do people like for gaskets here. Use a gasket on each side of the divide plate and also some Right Stuff or black RTV?

469, M21, 3.42

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 10-18-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think the shroud is going to fit either. Too far from radiator.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that brown water what came out of your radiator?? If so flush the system a few times, clearance the pump!

Old 10-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes that is brown, but it Evans waterless coolant and it's sort of brown to begin with. Its lifetime coolant.

Here are the pictures of my waterpump removed. The clearance is about .10 so I will bring it down closer somewhat.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I checked the clearance before I cleaned off the gasket material and it was about .12 inches. I got it down to about .04 inches at the lowest point. I think it's pretty good.

I'll clean it up and then bring the water pump to a machine shop to get the bolts removed.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John62 View Post
Show us before and after and then go from there.
John,
Here are the pics you asked for. Everything look ok?

I'd appreciate the opinions on how to reinstall. Gaskets on both sides of the plates? RTV black? Right Stuff?

I think someone suggested putting some Right Stuff on the two sleeves?

Also, my bolts came out EASILY. Do I put anti seize on the two 9/16" bolt threads?

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used some high tac on the gaskets to keep them in place, I did right stuff the sleeve area. I think you will see a difference with the clearenced plate.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Suspended

I can't tell but is that divider plate all rusty and missing parts of the edges, hard to tell in the picture. If it is you will need a new one. Your on the right track here. You only need one gasket, the plate should fit recessed in the opening. Your clearance is now better, remember the gasket will add some space so if you get a thick gasket, clearance that divider plate till it almost touches. Like others have mentioned make sure it is recessed in properly and the rubber grommets stay in place when you reinstall. That is a good impeller so you should be good there. I work more with the 8 bolt covers so you need to look if any, mainly lower bolts go into the water jacket, if so you need pipe dope or thread tape. A little anti seize is fine but not necessary. Like JSPont said, a little high tac or black RTV to hold the gasket and cover any uneven surface and Right Stuff the sleeves. If you drill the heads off those allen heads your pulley will be loose and you may get vise grips on the thread/studs.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The pictures make the plate and surrounding area look much more brown and rusty than they are. Flash is weird I guess. Nothing is that brown and it's not rusty.

Here's a better pic

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Suspended

I think your right, that will require two gaskets, the 8 bolt only needs one as that plate sits inside the opening but yours sits flush. Sorry for misinformation.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No worries. I figured it was different than the 8 bolt designs that you said you spend more time with.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes make sure you clearance the plate with the gasket, the fel pros are pretty thick.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, I had two different thinkness gaskets on hand to use.

I got the bolts off today. Had a local shop do this to the allen head bolt and then it came right off (note to self, learn to weld already!)...

Oh, and here's that video I shot of the backup water pump. It spins freely, but doesn't spin on much after I let go like my current one. Is that normal?

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes they do not spin freely, I think it has to do with the seal. That's why guys go to electric water pumps to save that horsepower it takes to turn the pump.
Yes get a welder if you can, its fun and has many uses. It pays for itself after your first few projects. My welder paid for itself 100 times over when I made my turbo headers and exhaust.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But...it takes energy to turn any pump, and the electric pump takes energy from the alternator which is spun by the engine. The alternator is only 50% efficient in converting mechanical energy to electrical energy..you don't get something for nothing.

George

Old 10-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you guys see the radiator shroud pics in my album? This is an OEM 18" shroud and it looks like when mounted, it will stand over an inch away from the radiator core. Can anyone tell me how far their core is from, say the heads? I'm wondering if my radiator is thinner than a stock radiator. I don't want to cut away a hole for the radiator hose just to find this shroud is still 2+ inches away from the core.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is to far away to work, look at cutting it to fit or see if your radiator is mounted different from the stock.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
That is to far away to work, look at cutting it to fit or see if your radiator is mounted different from the stock.
His radiator is mounted different from stock. In 1964 they used a down flow style so what he has here is a custom install.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, but it's in the stock lower mounts. Oh well, so I guess I either need a custom shroud or a new, OEM style radiator. Anyone know how much custom shrouds run? I'm inclined to get a new radiator if the cost is similar. How is the stock radiator held in place on top?

469, M21, 3.42