Old 03-24-2020, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you go on Edelbrocks web site it will provide the height for their Performer intake which they state is the same as a stock 4-bbl intake. They also list the height for the Victor EFI intake. You can compare the two. Throttle body dimensions will vary as to the style, 4150 or 4500, and the manufacture. Butler sells kits for use with the Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake for use under a factory shaker hood. I presume it can be also be used for a Torker II intake, but not sure. Somebody here will comment on that. But I've never heard of them used on the much taller Victor intake unless the carb flange has been milled down.

On the Year One Bandit Trans Am project with a 535 combo Jim Butler used a Victor intake with the carb flange milled down 0.650" to help it fit under the hood. With the cut down intake he used a WFO drop base unit for the TA Shaker scoop. Tested on the engine dyno at peak power rpm it gave up about 15 hp by milling the intake.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 03-24-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
If you go on Edelbrocks web site it will provide the height for their Performer intake which they state is the same as a stock 4-bbl intake. They also list the height for the Victor EFI intake. You can compare the two. Throttle body dimensions will vary as to the style, 4150 or 4500, and the manufacture. Butler sells kits for use with the Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake for use under a factory shaker hood. I presume it can be also be used for a Torker II intake, but not sure. Somebody here will comment on that. But I've never heard of them used on the much taller Victor intake unless the carb flange has been milled down.

On the Year One Bandit Trans Am project with a 535 combo Jim Butler used a Victor intake with the carb flange milled down 0.650" to help it fit under the hood. With the cut down intake he used a WFO drop base unit for the TA Shaker scoop. Tested on the engine dyno at peak power rpm it gave up about 15 hp by milling the intake.

I wonder if I call butler would they be able to mill it down for me? That way I can order it ready to go and port matched to the heads I’m gonna buy

Old 03-25-2020, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you call Butler mention the Bandit project and make sure you clarify details. In the November 2007 issue of High Performance Pontiac magazine article about it they stated..... "A modified and ported Victor intake was used with a Holley HP series carburetor, or a Super Victor intake with F.A.S.T fuel injection."

There was a hood scoop used on the car. No mention of the carb flange milled down 0.650" within the article, I obtained that information from the author of the article in a phone call.

What did they use to adapt the Victor intake to the scoop ? What is a "Super Victor" intake that is used with the fuel injection ? And what type of fuel injection ? Even if a cut down Victor intake is used will a direct port type fuel injection using a throttle body fit under a hood scoop ?

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 03-26-2020, 11:40 PM

So I called butler and the guy I talked to said they don’t have the specs for that anymore and strongly suggested to just go with TBI and I wouldn’t notice much of a difference............he said to use the Holley Xflow.....when I called Holley they suggested the same thing......wellllllll........I thought a better throttle response and being able to run more efficiently would be worth it but maybe not

Old 03-27-2020, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you wanna do port injection, do as Steve suggested and look at the height of the SuperVictor on Edelbrock's site. Then look at an Accufab throttle body. They are very short compared to a carb. You might be able to make it fit without milling.