Old 04-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default H4 Headlight Conversion

I decided to do an upgrade to H4 headlights and add a headlight relay to my 65 GTO The conversion went great with no issues. The lights fit perfect and required no modifications. All I had to do to the relay harness was to extend the passenger side wires by about 4". I am sure that I probably could have routed the wires differently and it would have been fine, but I wanted them to run where all the other wires run under the radiator support. The headlights actually look stock, except for the blueish color due too the bulbs. The wiring harness seems to be the same that others sell for double the price. It all was very easy to install and only required a couple of hours of my time.

Here are the items I ordered and used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262426012140...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Take care,
Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170421_134315_resized_1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	452611  

Old 04-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

Looks good I did the same lens conversion except I used HID bulbs instead. The HID kit came with the relay harness. I like the new style LED bulbs on superbrightled my buddy put in his truck. I'm going to prob make the switch because I am having ballast issues with the hid(they were just a cheap set)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968 LeMans Convertible - 462 w hydo roller comp cam forged flat tops- 6x-4 heads- performer intake - 800 cfm QJ- edelbrock 110 gph mech fuel pump- 4 row copper rad- followed by a Th400 w/2300rpm stall then a nodular 10 bolt posi w 3:90 gears ( need 3:55 bad
Old 04-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

Pardon the dust I'm in process of a new paint job

1968 LeMans Convertible - 462 w hydo roller comp cam forged flat tops- 6x-4 heads- performer intake - 800 cfm QJ- edelbrock 110 gph mech fuel pump- 4 row copper rad- followed by a Th400 w/2300rpm stall then a nodular 10 bolt posi w 3:90 gears ( need 3:55 bad
Old 04-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbktrek View Post
Pardon the dust I'm in process of a new paint job

Those look really nice. I am glad I did the conversion. I understand the dust. Mine just came back from getting painted and body work and I have kept it uncovered so I can work on it. It is covered in pollen. Oh well, I will get it cleaned up once it is all back together.
Dale

Old 02-12-2020, 03:26 AM
Senior Chief

how are your headlights working out for you? any issues after a few years? I am looking at doing the same thing to my car in the spring.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 vent View Post
how are your headlights working out for you? any issues after a few years? I am looking at doing the same thing to my car in the spring.
I really don’t drive it at night but the headlights were a great addition. They installed without having to do any modifications and are a lot brighter. Just be sure to install a headlight relay because the stock light switch won’t handle the load. The relay is easy to install and makes the system a lot better.

Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 02-19-2020, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The H4 conversion is a great move, as is doing a relay setup.

With the H4 housings, you can pretty much use a multitude of bulbs, it's about the most common out there.

All I can say is if you do go this route, get the glass housings. The PAL ones I used were very inexpensive, and would recommend them to anyone. The only thing you need to mod is the bucket, for the larger center, and the reference tab.

For my 4 headlight setups, I buy hi/lo bulbs for all 4, and wire the lo and hi elements to run when on hi. That gives you 8 elements as opposed to 4. It's bright.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-19-2020, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
The H4 conversion is a great move, as is doing a relay setup.

With the H4 housings, you can pretty much use a multitude of bulbs, it's about the most common out there.

All I can say is if you do go this route, get the glass housings. The PAL ones I used were very inexpensive, and would recommend them to anyone. The only thing you need to mod is the bucket, for the larger center, and the reference tab.

For my 4 headlight setups, I buy hi/lo bulbs for all 4, and wire the lo and hi elements to run when on hi. That gives you 8 elements as opposed to 4. It's bright.

Yes, the glass lenses are a lot better than the plastic ones, that is what I used and they look very stock. I don't remember having to modify the buckets, the new lenses fit them fine without any issues.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 02-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, there's usually a 'nub' on the lamp housing that locates it so the lens is pointed correctly, since usually the lens is directional. As in, side to side, up and down of the light projection.

I guess some don't come with that, and it's up to the installer to mount them right.

The PAL ones I have on the 442 have a large 'cup' where the bulb mounts, with a retaining bail wire. Those required me to hog out the center of the mounting cup. Not a big deal. Also had to relocate the alignment 'nub'. I did a relay setup on it to unload the dash switch, and that too gives you brighter lights (zero voltage drop). I have halogens in them.

So the ones on the GTO tribute are the Octane brand, and, I honestly can't recall if I had to doctor the mount housings. I will have to go back and look now. I loaded those with LED bulbs, so didn't have to mod the forward light harness for relays.

The PAL ones I believe accept several types of bulbs, maybe that's the difference?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Halos8.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	532502  

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 02-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's some pics from the 442 install, the AutoPAL housings, the bucket mod, and the wiring for all 4 elements on Hi.

You can see the relay setup in the last pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AutoPAL001SM.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	532503   Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoPAL2SM.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	532504   Click image for larger version

Name:	BucketSM.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	532505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight7SM.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	532506  

Old 02-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes, there's usually a 'nub' on the lamp housing that locates it so the lens is pointed correctly, since usually the lens is directional. As in, side to side, up and down of the light projection.

I guess some don't come with that, and it's up to the installer to mount them right.

The PAL ones I have on the 442 have a large 'cup' where the bulb mounts, with a retaining bail wire. Those required me to hog out the center of the mounting cup. Not a big deal. Also had to relocate the alignment 'nub'. I did a relay setup on it to unload the dash switch, and that too gives you brighter lights (zero voltage drop). I have halogens in them.

So the ones on the GTO tribute are the Octane brand, and, I honestly can't recall if I had to doctor the mount housings. I will have to go back and look now. I loaded those with LED bulbs, so didn't have to mod the forward light harness for relays.

The PAL ones I believe accept several types of bulbs, maybe that's the difference?

Very nice.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 02-21-2020, 03:24 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
... For my 4 headlight setups, I buy hi/lo bulbs for all 4, and wire the lo and hi elements to run when on hi...
I usually use four dual-beam lamps on my vehicles with quad lights (changing two sockets to 3-wire ones). But my purpose is just to provide more light on low beam.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Hey HWYSTR455, how do you like the LED's compared to HID's?

Old 03-02-2021, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The LEDs, or most, require proper 'aiming', or in other words, they have to be properly 'clocked' in the housing. Otherwise, the beam pattern can be all over the place, depending on your reflectors in the housing.

They now make '360 degree' beam LED bulbs, which doesn't require clocking, which is what I would recommend. Plug & play.

But, just to say, I did go back and forth on some of the LED bulbs because the ratings are not accurate when it comes to lumens. Also, have to be careful when looking for 360 degree beam bulbs, many list them as '360 degree' 'adjustment', and not beam pattern.

All in all, the best thing about LED bulbs is the low power draw compared to other bulbs. You don't have to do the relay boost/mod when using them. They also make several diff color bulbs, so you can chose the one that works best for you.