Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-08-2020, 03:23 PM

Question Trying to refinish interior of race trailer

I have a 28 foot trailer that currently has what seems to be vinyl covered plywood.
I’ve been trying to find this stuff every where but no luck. The finish seems to be wrinkling up and lifting in sections. I’ve been peeling a couple of spots and it almost looks like a plastic paint maybe.

Not really sure which way to go. I started this because I had some spots (on ceiling and a couple of spots on walls) that the plywood seemed to be ruined by water leaks. I’ve since redone done the roof but I do have 2 whole pieces of ceiling plywood that have to be replaced.

Recommendations welcomed.

Old 02-09-2020, 05:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm69 View Post
I have a 28 foot trailer that currently has what seems to be vinyl covered plywood.
I’ve been trying to find this stuff every where but no luck. The finish seems to be wrinkling up and lifting in sections. I’ve been peeling a couple of spots and it almost looks like a plastic paint maybe.

Not really sure which way to go. I started this because I had some spots (on ceiling and a couple of spots on walls) that the plywood seemed to be ruined by water leaks. I’ve since redone done the roof but I do have 2 whole pieces of ceiling plywood that have to be replaced.

Recommendations welcomed.

Just replace damaged sections with complete sections of plywood - paint to match.

Unless you are anal - in that case rip out all the material and install new.

Jim

Old 02-11-2020, 09:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Trulyvintage;6108603]Just replace damaged sections with complete sections of plywood - paint to match.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did that to mine 4-5 years ago. Skylight leaked over winter, ruined 2 sheets in ceiling and stained walls. Patched the roof then got 2 sheets luan and some paint - looked like new. Mine was painted ply to begin with but could probably mimic the vinyl with a gloss white.

Suppose you could try a trailer repair shop see if they can get the vinyl faced ply.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A good finish would be FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel). You can get the stuff at Home Depot. It can glue on to a clean, dry surface to avoid fasteners on the face. There are divider strips for the joints. Finished product if done properly looks really nice and is very durable. Its the finish that we use when remodeling commercial kitchens. Down side is that it is somewhat expensive and will add a bit more weight than lauan plywood. Home Depot also sells a thin Masonite paneling board that has a factory applied white finish that will wipe down nicely.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:57 PM

Question

TAKerry,

No big deal if your off, but how thick and what is the weight for the FRP compared to the luan? If I'm not mistaken the existing stuff in the trailer is about 1/4".

Masonite also???