Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Harbor Freight 12 speed Bench Top Drill Press comments

Bought a 12 spd bench top drill press for portable use.Sometimes I need to drill steel away from shop.
I waited till price was low. Anyway no matter what speed I've tried the motor does not have torque. Drilling 1/8" steel with sharp 1/4" bit,grabs then stalls motor, time consuming, battery hand drill better. So local motor repair shop finding used motor for me. So beware.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Take it back. There's always smaller drill presses on craigslist and marketplace.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the Wren 12" variable speed at Home Depot for a job I had to do with some very long metal that I couldn't get into my other machines for lack of room. Figured it was worth it for the one job even if I destroyed it in the process.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-12-i...4214/204994931

To my surprise I'm still using it, it's actually not bad for a chinese piece of garbage. The variable speed, digital readout etc. work pretty well.

However it will require the usual partial disassembly, proper lubrication etc. If it starts making a funny noise ... you have to pull apart the drive and get some lube in there.

With some proper spindle bearings and a chuck that isn't total crap it would be even better.

Course if you can find a used US built unit that would be a great option too ... make sure it's a name brand that you might still be able to get parts for, or that uses standard industry parts.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Bought a 12 spd bench top drill press for portable use.Sometimes I need to drill steel away from shop.
I waited till price was low. Anyway no matter what speed I've tried the motor does not have torque. Drilling 1/8" steel with sharp 1/4" bit,grabs then stalls motor, time consuming, battery hand drill better. So local motor repair shop finding used motor for me. So beware.
When buying anything with an electric motor, from whomever, look at the amps. While there is more to it, generally more amps allow for more power. According to the HF specs (unless it’s a misprint) this drill press is rated at only 3.85 amps which seems pretty low for a press with a 5/8” chuck capacity. I have hand drills with more amps. That said, with that amperage you should have no problem drilling 1/8” steel. Either the 3.85 amps is over rated or it’s a bad motor.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for input. I just hope the castings dont break when I get a good motor. It's just sometimes I need a drill press out somewhere to drill alot of holes in steel usually 1/4" thick stock,time consuming with hand held. I never know what I'm getting into sometimes,'oh yeah I'll help'!

Old 03-08-2020, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does changing the belt configuration(spd) help? Nice one on CL Barto pa(Allentown CL)

TOM

Last edited by salem1912; 03-08-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tried low speed,higher speed,medium speed. Still stalls. Motor as was said doesnt have the torque. Funny that a 3/8 old Sears can do a better job. I'm getting higher torque motor as soon as shop can find one in their stock of used. You need one with bearings because of vertical application. I have their table top belt sander it works but there again you can stall it applying to much pressure. Live and learn to read specs.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had one from HF a few years ago, same problem. No power.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 03-10-2020, 03:43 PM

My philosophy is to always buy the HF tool first. If/when that breaks or fails, do some research and spend a little more.
I've wound up replacing 1 out of 10 things, saving much more money this way in the long run. That drill press is likely fine for woodworkers doing little hobbyist jobs. I have the same-size band saw and rebuilt all my kitchen cabinets with it. Works great but no doubt it would fail if I tried to do heavy lumber, let alone steel.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shoulda- coulda- woulda- saved my money and bought a mag drill! Then I wouldve had a drill I could drill in all positions in metal. Looking at Dewalt.

Last edited by sdbob; 03-11-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Add word