Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Little pluming help

My mothers downstairs sink is leaking, tried replacing just the cold side stem, seemed ok, but my mother said its still leaking, so I bought the whole facet...……..by looking at the pics does this seems doable or do I need to get a plummer over there.

Thanks for any help

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumming (1).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	532654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumming (3).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	532655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumming (5).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	532657  

Old 02-22-2020, 08:43 AM
Senior Chief

Is it leaking from the valve or spout? Either way it’s and easy fix. Replace rubber washer and o ring at both valves. Unlike modern faucets,the old ones have rubber parts that eventually wear out.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, if it were me I'd tackle it, but when you start disturbing galvanized plumbing it can be a total nightmare, especially if it's really old. It really depends upon how badly the interior of the pipes are corroded, which has to do with mineral content of the water and the age of the original plumbing.

It looks like the ends of the pipes have unions on the and if you are able to get the nuts loose you should be able to replace the entire faucet by just loosening the hot and cold pipe unions, and screwing them back on to the new faucet. The thing you need to do is to keep from twisting, or bending the rest of the pipes that rise upwards by using a pipe wrench as a backup when you're loosening the nuts at the union. Flexing old pipes can cause leaks upstream from where you're working on old galvanized plumbing.

I never call anyone to fix stuff, but that's the way I was brought up by my father. He was a mechanic all his life, as I was also. I also worked as a plant maintenance mechanic for a few years so I have automotive background as well as general building maintenance experience.

Tools are another consideration, and I have accumulated plenty of them over 50 plus years including torches, pipe wrenches and large crescent wrenches, which can be a big help when working on plumbing projects.

Jack Pumphrey, known in the race section as "Lil Jack" owns a plumbing company, you could always PM him, and ask his opinion too.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-23-2020, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey guys, thanks for the tips, the pipes are pretty old, so hoping I don't screw it up worse than it is.

Rich

Old 02-23-2020, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Just be sure to firmly hold the short nipples (RED) above the faucet with a pipe wrench.
Then with an adjustable or channel lock pliers loosen the unions(GREEN).
It should be a breeze if you bought an exact replacement.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-26-2024 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could try just replacing o ring after removing handle and unscrewing stem. Sometimes stem may be very tight. Then check oring, and seat it may need a little dressing up for oring to seat properly. You can buy necessary tools for seat at hardware store. What's the worst that can happen,another leak,upstream? You will learn next time you'll feel more confident. If you've worked on your cars you can do this.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The unions are brass, the replacement faucet should be brass( if it is the exact same faucet) so just take care not to twist the galvanized piping when you loosen and remove and replace!

Old 02-23-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Just be sure to firmly hold the short nipples (RED) above the faucet with a pipe wrench.
Then with an adjustable or channel lock pliers loosen the unions(GREEN).
It should be a breeze if you bought an exact replacement.
Jeff, that's what I did, everything looks good, knock on wood. No drips

Thanks again guys

Rich