Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-29-2023, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For 99% of Pontiac engines it does not matter a hill of beans if you want to use a 60 lb pump or a 80 lb pump. Both will get the job done.
Its a personal preference thing.
Right now its just something to talk about.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2023, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Great information!

Thanks for all of the great replies gentlemen, I do appreciate it. I will ponder my options for a bit and will report back. Dave

Old 11-29-2023, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing maybe not touched on, especially with high pressure pumps, if not restricted on the top end somewhere, the oil can actually squirt on the valve covers and not lubricate the cup, tip and springs properly. That is the reason Pontiac put the deflectors on the oem heads.
I know some of these steel roller tip rockers have a bad wrap about galling, but I bet where they’ve failed is the oil is being squirted over the rockers with no defectors.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds

Last edited by J.C.you; 11-29-2023 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

20W-50 engine molasses in a street-driven car is nucking futs.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Location location location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
20W-50 engine molasses in a street-driven car is nucking futs.
Here in the southwest it's just fine. I've run 20W50 in every old vehicle I've ever owned and no problems BUT it's always pretty warm here.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-29-2023, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless it's 150F in the shade, you'd be better-served with thinner oil. Better/faster lube at start-up, less power consumed by the oil pump, and less pressure-drop across the oil filter especially when the engine oil isn't up to operating temp.

Old 11-30-2023, 02:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not sure it was mentioned, but the 80 psi and 60 psi pump are the same pump, with different relief springs. They don’t act that much differently until hot, then only after the pressure rises above 60 or 70. Idle pressure is usually the same. Cold start up with heavier oil some engines can burry the gauge with a 60 spring. I have both 60 and 80 psi springs and spring retainers if you want to not switch the pump. I am guessing it has an 80 spring. Should act better with a lighter oil, if it’s been running, probably fine the way it is too.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I am not sure it was mentioned, but the 80 psi and 60 psi pump are the same pump, with different relief springs. They don’t act that much differently until hot, then only after the pressure rises above 60 or 70. Idle pressure is usually the same. Cold start up with heavier oil some engines can burry the gauge with a 60 spring. I have both 60 and 80 psi springs and spring retainers if you want to not switch the pump. I am guessing it has an 80 spring. Should act better with a lighter oil, if it’s been running, probably fine the way it is too.
Another option is to add a 0.060"-070" shim and a 9/16" relief ball to get around 70 psi. This mod helps keep the oil pressure steady at high RPM as well as the relief ball stays seated longer. End plate fitment and gear play help with some pressure too if we are looking for other options.

My 400 has the 80 psi pump and it burries the needle on cold start up using 15w40 oil. Been running years without a problem. Mid gauge ish at hot idle with a stock distributor gear vroom vroom.