Old 03-05-2004, 08:28 AM

I'm having a hard time finding steering linkage parts for 1965 GP's. Full size (Bonneville, Catalina,etc..) is available but no one can tell me what the difference is.
Are the frames front cross members different?
Spindles configured differently?
I gotta believe the full size parts can be made to work. Just would hate to pay shipping to measure and compare and find out the full size parts can't be made to fit. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:28 AM

I'm having a hard time finding steering linkage parts for 1965 GP's. Full size (Bonneville, Catalina,etc..) is available but no one can tell me what the difference is.
Are the frames front cross members different?
Spindles configured differently?
I gotta believe the full size parts can be made to work. Just would hate to pay shipping to measure and compare and find out the full size parts can't be made to fit. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The '65 Grand Prix uses the same chassis and suspension as the Catalina. The front suspension on all full size 1965 Pontiacs is the same, except for maybe the springs (i.e. Bonnevilles may have softer springs than a Grand Prix.)

If you're ordering ball joints, control arms, tie rod ends, center links, etc. just tell them you want Catalina parts and you'll be fine.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

Somewhat related to this topic, I found out that a 69 Firebird centerlink will work on a 65 Grand Prix. The only problem is the Firebird center link will just barely rub the front of the oil pan sump when the steering wheel is turned fully left or right. The Firebird centerlink does not have or need an offset bend in the middle of it to clear the oil pan, like the fullsize's part does.
I ran my GP with the link taken from a junk 69 Firebird 400 for quite a while, back when the only available fullsize centerlinks where $200. Now Performance Years has them $125.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the info Stuart.I was thinking that would be the case. I couldn't imagine what would be different. But when I called Performance Years to ask a couple of questions, I was told that their 65 tie rod ends, sleeves and center link were for full size not the GP. And they don't have those parts available for 65 GP application. It made me tilt my head and say "What!?". This worries me I might get the wrong part and get stuck with shipping costs.
I think I'm going to look elsewhere for parts.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably what confuses them is the fact that the 69 and newer Grand Prix chassis parts interchange with the A bodies, not the regular big cars.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-07-2004, 08:47 PM

Try Kanter. I purchased the entire front end rebuild kit from them a couple years ago.

65 Catalina 2DHT, 389 bored 0.060 over, Crower 60916 cam, #16 heads, CR Q-Jet, TH400, Continental 13", 3.42 Posi, Frame-off resto, RARE Long branch manifolds, 2-1/2" Pypes with X-pipe and Goerlich Turbo mufflers
Old 03-09-2004, 08:27 AM

Ditto what 65cat said. I had no problems......

I wish I could find that box of parts.......

Old 03-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All 65 FS steering parts are the same. I have never figured out why parts houses differentiate between GP and the other FS cars from 68 and older. I honestly don't know of any chassis differences other than spring application, and slight variations in frame dimensions. Go with the $125 center link...it's worth it compared to what they used to cost. Application is good from 65 to 70 for that part...I'll be buying one myself, since one of the rubber dust boots on mine got destoyed when it was taken off.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:52 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I thought all the full size were the same. Just had to get some confirmation from fellow car people since Performance Years was so adamant that there is a difference.
Now I laugh when I hear parts suppliers making claims of having knowledgeable help.