Old 04-14-2004, 08:50 AM

I am looking for a nice old pontiac but I have a question. What is the story on 8-lug wheels? how do they work and should I( avoid them. I think they look good but I dont want goofball parts that I cant get any more. Also, can you convert these things.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:50 AM

I am looking for a nice old pontiac but I have a question. What is the story on 8-lug wheels? how do they work and should I( avoid them. I think they look good but I dont want goofball parts that I cant get any more. Also, can you convert these things.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

they have drums that replace the stock drums,then the 8 bolt wheel bolts to the drums.You need to get the correct year drums for the car.Have to make sure there is enough lining left and also no rust between the lining and the drum.VERY nice looking and do perfprm a little better than stock.Tom

Old 04-14-2004, 05:00 PM

How hard is it to replace or find drums and other brake parts for them? I was looking around the site today and they do look good. The issue is do I have enough parts to change parts if anything goes bad?

Old 04-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there is a co.named custom circuit,they reline and sell complete sets.Do a yahoo search.Tom

Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The internal brake parts (the shoes, springs, hardware) are the same as the regular brakes, so you don't have to worry about any of that.

You can see a little info about which wheels styles fit which years at http://www.teufert.net/pontiac/8lugs.htm.

There are several styles of hubcaps and two styles of trim rings, but they all fit any year if you're not worried about originality.

Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but 1965-1968 drums are all interchangable, and late 1961-1964 are interchangable (again, if you're not worried about originality and date codes and that kind of stuff.) The 1960 and early 1961 front drums used roller bearings, but a special roller bearing to fit them can be bought (there's a guy selling them on eBay all the time.)

I believe that except for 1960 rims, all other year rims will fit on any year drum. Stock, they are all 14" rims x 6" wide, some people send their rims to Stockton Wheel in California or to other places to have them converted to 15", which gives you a lot bigger choice in tires.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with all of the above.

Rodger at Custom circuits is the best (and, I believe only) show in town. I also bought a complete set, like Pitts did, from Rodger. I have been to his place, nothing much, but he has the artfullness of getting it done correctly. Don't expect quickness, this is not his primary job. Last time I spoke to him it was his goal to stock sets in his warehouse (barn) for immediate shipment. I can not wait for that day.(Hopefully, this summer!)

Do a search on this site for 8 lugs and you will find additional information. If you want a copy of the paper that Rodger wrote about eight lugs, email me and I can send you a copy. I think that Pitts may have posted a web site that also had the same article.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:42 PM

Regarding that 8-lug reburb, about what does that cost for four?