WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 General Tech/Discussion

G8 General Tech/Discussion G8 general tech and discussion area.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried that link but it wasn't working. I copied this link from the G8Board and it seems to work fine. Great video.

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.h..._referrer=staf

BJ

Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oops, sorry Milt - we did a simultaneous post!

BJ

Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM

Not a problem BJ! I tend to goober things up every once in awhile.

milt
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Update! GM announced an increase in the incentive on GXP, effective today, you can get $5,500 off MSRP through the end of this month.

If you are on the fence about these cars, watch the video above and then get busy finding one because they are disappearing fast! Remember they only made 1,829 of them.

BJ

Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So basically they just called the Camaro a piece of crap and said that the car they are killing, the GXP is a better car than a BMW at half the price.

Hmmm I wonder how that will play at the next marketing meeting.

They had one thing right though, I think anyone on the forum could make better choices than GM top brass has.

Stan
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, that's about right. If you go to the Camaro5.com forum (link below) you can see the list of the top problems that new Camaro owners have reported. They have stopped shipping the SS models with six-speed manuals because they keep breaking the ouput shaft. I think Tremec is not too happy about getting screwed in the bankruptcy so the fix is probably taking loger than GM would like. Tough situation for those Camaro owners. "Shoulda had a G8"!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30865

BJ

Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Senior Chief

Kirkland Pontiac in WA has a PSlate Auto if anyone is looking. 46,585.00 plus fees minus 4000.00 K rebate as of 7/24.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio ps View Post
Kirkland Pontiac in WA has a PSlate Auto if anyone is looking. 46,585.00 plus fees minus 4000.00 K rebate as of 7/24.
Ouch.

I'll wait for the Chevy version.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Chief

For G8 GT in Long Island, N.Y., 4K in rebates, 1K off from dealer and a 1,500 rebate IF YOU OWN AN INFINITI OR A NISSAN!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio ps View Post
Why are they asking over sticker????? Greedy new car sales BS!!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pat:
I think the closer they get to being all gone the more the dealers will try to get a premium on the really rare colors. Pacific Slate is the most rare color for the GXP...I think only 47 made in that color.

If you think that's bad, I was bidding on a dealer training version of a special GXP brochure that showed up on ebay and it sold for $96! Crazy stuff!

Right now, I'm trying to find all the stuff I can that will go with my car so that 38 years from now when everyone is driving in Chinese-built electric pod-cars, my car will have tons of documentation that will make it sell for a small fortune at Barrett-Jackson!! I'm telling my sons that this is their retirement! LOL.

In other words, I'm doing all the things I should have done back in 1971 when I got that brand new 71 LeMans!

BJ

Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post
Why are they asking over sticker????? Greedy new car sales BS!!
As a seller one needs to get the maximum price for their vehicle. As a buyer I would think you would want to pay the least possible As long as both parties meet their goal...... It's called conducting bidness. I emailed the dealer and informed him that I want the car and will pay cash for it but he had to have a more realistic price. That was on Saturday. I did not get a response yet.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While you guys are singing the praises of this car, I still feel:
1) It is way overprice and will depreciate like any other car (not quite the same rate, but it'll depreciate).
2) The roofline is way too curved and looks almost like one from an AMC Pacer.
3) The engine is a Chevy derived V-8.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
1) It is way overprice and will depreciate like any other car (not quite the same rate, but it'll depreciate).
I disagree. You're getting BMW/Mercedes AMG level performance for less than half the price of some of those cars.. Go check out the MBWorld forum and search GXP and see how many positive comments there are on that forum regarding this car. Every road test writer has sung the praises of this car and whether you like the looks or not, it nonetheless remains the fastest, most powerful, production car that has ever worn the Pontiac badge. It may have a chevy-derived V8, but it will be the last ever V8 4-door sedan (with better than GTO-level performance) with a Pontiac badge and that is good enough for me. If you have not yet driven one it is hard to imagine just how nice these cars are. I've been driving the orange GT for over a year and at 361 HP with 395 Lb Ft of torque it was amazingly fast and I grinned everytime I got in it. (Now my wife does that!) When I got the blue GXP, it just blew away the GT on the Seat-of-the-pants Dyno and has a great exhaust note to boot!

BJ

Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What new car doesn't depreciate? Nobody is buying them to collect them....well maybe some are gambling on that but 90% are not.

Roofline is too curved? Well looks are and will always be subjective.

LS3 is not Chevy derived. Chevy doesn't make LSX engines. GM Powertrain does.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
What new car doesn't depreciate? Nobody is buying them to collect them....well maybe some are gambling on that but 90% are not.

Roofline is too curved? Well looks are and will always be subjective.

LS3 is not Chevy derived. Chevy doesn't make LSX engines. GM Powertrain does.
If money's no object, then sure it's okay to spend $40K on a car. But it will be worth $22-$23K MAX in two short years. They are charging you $8,000 over a GT for a better V-8 and slightly better handling and not much more. That's value?

Yes, looks are subjective, so we'll leave that alone. It's definitely not a Pontiac V-8 under the hood and to me that means it's half a Pontiac. You might as well change the look, which may occur someday, and call it an Impala SS. But lots of people could care less what's under the hood, as long as it's fast, so they buy it and that's okay for them.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If money's no object, then sure it's okay to spend $40K on a car. But it will be worth $22-$23K MAX in two short years. They are charging you $8,000 over a GT for a better V-8 and slightly better handling and not much more. That's value?

Yes, looks are subjective, so we'll leave that alone. It's definitely not a Pontiac V-8 under the hood and to me that means it's half a Pontiac. You might as well change the look, which may occur someday, and call it an Impala SS. But lots of people could care less what's under the hood, as long as it's fast, so they buy it and that's okay for them.
In addition to the better V8 and performance (415 HP/415 Torque) you are also getting better suspension, a six-speed manual option not available on the GT, 14" front rotors with Brembo calipers, XM radio, Bluetooth and a few minor interior enhancements. The difference between what I paid for the GT and GXP after all discounts, etc was only about $4,000 and yes, I would call that value.

I cannot overstate this enough that this is the fastest, most powerful production model ever to wear the Pontiac badge. I don't care if it was made in Australia, China, Great Britan, Detroit or where ever...it has a Pontiac badge and it will be the last great car to ever wear that badge. So what if it shows up in China as a Buick - how many thousands of those do you suppose will be made and then how many do you think will wind up on the streets of the USA? I think not many if any at all. How many Stryker Blue Metallic GXPs are there in the USA? Answer: 56! I think that equals value and collector status. How many 71 Judge Convertibles were made: 17. What are they worth now compared to what they cost new? Here's to hoping that this one will be similar to that 20 plus years from now. I didn't buy them just for transportation.

I bought both of these cars because:
A. I like Pontiacs
B. I wanted rare colors
C. I wanted something to leave for my sons so they could someday say: "I remember the day my Dad brought this car home and I still have the window sticker, the build sheet, the dealer sales order, the owner's manaual, the picutures, the brochures, the emails between Dad and the dealer, the original numbers matching drive train, etc. And oh, by the way, it's a Pontiac and they went out of business right after Dad got this car."

There probably are a bunch of folks who bought them for other reasons and the value may very well drop rapidly for a few years - but again, my reasons for buying were for the long-term potential value and by the time that point gets here, I won't really care and my sons will do what they want with the cars. But you know, I doubt that anyone buying 71 Judge Convertibles back in 71 really had any inkling of an idea just how valuable they would be today. Maybe we should ask Gramps - who just won GTOAA Concourse Gold with his Lucy Blue 71 Judge Vert at Co-Vention...he's the original owner and can sure attest to how much his car has appreciated!

That's just my and I certainly respect yours.

Thanks,

BJ

Old 07-29-2009, 04:15 AM
Senior Chief

My crystal ball is broken and I can't see the future. If I still have it 20-30 years from now, who knows. I purhased it because I liked it and you get one heck of a nice car for thirty five K. What's going to happen when Obama requires the auto makers to produce cars that get 36MPG. We'll be back to car speedometers that read 85MPH. When I pulled into a Checkers last Sunday, the kids with the imports were doing a double no triple take on the GXP. I think they wet their pants. They wanted to come over and look but were scared. It was like, "Let the big dog eat". If it does come back as a Chevy it won't be the same. They'll make a cheap gazilian of them, but there will still be only 1829 Pontiacs and 56 Blue ones. All kidding aside, we're not some cult here. It really is a good car for the money. Go see for yourself.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dealers are willing to give bigger discounts on the GT so the difference between a GT and GXP is much more than $8,000. The 71 Judge vert is also a car that's 38 years old and is still around so hence the huge value. Your car is new.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Well after following the comments of on this thread concerning the whys or why nots of GXP ownership, allow this old fart to share his thoughts. I've been a pontiac guy all my car owning life. When GM made the announcement about the G8 GXP, I contacted my car saleman and told him to get me one. After I waited and waited and waited I got the call to come pick it up on Thursday. Drove the '06 GP GXP to trade it in and picked up the new one. Friday GM made the announcement about the Pontiac going away. I immediately started having the "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" syndrome.

I had just come back from Nam flying choppers and had money burning a hole in my pocket with the potential of earning lots more as a flight instructor at FT. Wolters ( Mineral Wells, TX) when I drove by the Pontiac dealer in my '65 Iris Mist with a black vinyl top and parchment interior; "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" #1; and saw the '69 Judge with black interior, black vinyl top and hood tach. About an hour latter I'm cruising in the orange Judge, "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" #2. Got orders back to Nam with a short TDY to Ft. Rucker, AL. There it was, a '71 Lucerne Blue Trans AM, "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" #3. There go d'Judge. Made it back from Nam and got stationed at FT Hood, TX. Got wife ( "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" ?), got out of Army and moved to second biggest one horse town, Stephenville, TX. For some unexplained reason wanted a Vette. Found numbers matching '66 coupe heater car with 360 hp 327, 4 sp, "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" #4. Got offer for TA I couldn't refuse; bye, bye TA. Got "Should'a, Would'a, Could'a" #5 & #6, '68 350/350 4sp and '69 425/427 4sp numbers matching black vettes. Got divorced (NOT BECAUSE OF THE CARS). So long cars. Moved to Abilene, TX (THE biggest one horse town) in 1979.

Fast forward to present. You think my history with cars will have an impact on how I'll handle this ownership? You bet'cha! I'm going to drive it likes there's no tomorrow. It ain't for sale.