Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I think the idea around that is more splash lube and was something suggested quite a bit for a while by various builders when running a solid roller.

1000 wouldn't be bad in an auto if there was a decent converter behind it.

I have this 455 here idling around 900 out of gear, and it only drops to 750 in gear. Has one of those new 9.5" Converters in it from Cliff that drives really nice. I hardly feel it go into gear.

Dad seems to like his 571 idling a little faster too. It idles down to 700 in gear and idles pretty good but he likes it idling up around 850 or so in gear which is up just a smidget over 1000 out of gear. I think dad just likes the sound of the camshaft idling a little faster. Again one of Cliff's converters and it's pretty nice going in and out of gear. Nothing head snapping about it.

The Z my wife drives, I like it idling up around 1050 to 1100, but it's a stick car so doesn't matter much. Just makes it a bit easier to take off, and it makes a little more vacuum for the brakes that way since we are up at 5,000 feet and lose 2-3 inches of vacuum thanks to the laws of physics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
All my pontiacs are stick shift.Like FJ says more splash for the needle bearing. Tom
makes sense.