Old 02-29-2020, 05:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default R.A.R.E. manifolds

Anyone here running the d-port manifolds from R.A.R.E. intended for 68-72 GTO/70-81 Firebird? How's fitment on our post '72 A-bodies? Getting ready to put a new exhaust system on the Can Am and thought I might upgrade the manifolds.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:02 PM

I did a similar install on my CanAm using 71 TA ram air III manifolds. On the A-body, you need to remove the LH frame brace or have a custom built head pipe made to miss it. I had my pipes done by Waldrons to mimic 74 A-body w/dual exhaust and head pipes for RA manifolds. From the mufflers back, they made a mirror image of LH side to fit the RH. Will also need a dual exhaust app trans cross member. Came out pretty nice.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

She currently has a 2-1/4" dual exhaust that at one time had twin cats (I've since removed them). The original crossmember is under the car, with the driver side hammered in a little for clearance. This won't do with larger pipe so I've already acquired a crossmember from a '73 Grand Am to replace it.

Thanks for the heads up on the head pipes. Going to likely have the system custom bent now as I was going to buy the head pipes from R.A.R.E. also but it sounds like theirs won't work. I have a pair of stainless 2-1/2" tail pipes that are "copies" of the '73 GTO tail pipes that I plan on running. Going to have to get a custom shop to install those so they may as well do the whole system.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had them on my 4 speed 1973 GTO. I had to modify the frame brace, but otherwise, a bolt in.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Pretty much the same as what everyone else said, it was a pretty easy install from what I remember from 16 years ago

Mark Twain