Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Samsung Freezer/Fridge puddles the Floor

So the home we got came with a Yuge Samsung Freezer/Fridge. It puddles the floor since Feb. I removed the Ice Maker & Water line, and the puddle continues to show cyclic. Luckly our Tile floor& grout are water tight.

Internet info show "Everybody complaining about their Samsung Freezer puddling the floor": the Defrost Drain Pan and Fan combo do not perform.

Either the drain path to pan cloggs with ice (you unclogg it and it re-cloggs)
The Drain Pan cracks (stress from ice buldge)
The Fan gets iced over so it dont turn.
The condense coil get an ice block, locks fan up.
The Defrost cycle needs/gets reprogrammed by a Tech (no joy)
And any combo you can think of. As if they all fail by design whether 2-weeks new or 6 years old.

Anybody solve this? We're likely going to buy a replacement but hey this Freezer/Fridge looks spendy, and i'd like to fix it for good. IF POSSIBLE.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 05-17-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have the same issue with my Samsung. Only puddles once in a while but still works fine. Still haven’t pulled it out to take a look. I did read that it was a common issue. It’s probably 6-7 years old.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:15 AM

Samsung= attractive appearing junk. I bought a new fridge last year. Ice maker keeps freezing up despite doing all the recommended fixes.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, i removed the ice maker due to drip freezing over. And we like ice trays.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine gets water in the crisper drawers...almost an 1" deep. I have to keep dumping them out.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 05-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So we ordered a White 20Cufoot Fridgerator. Gonna be just fine & look better too.

The Samsung Fridge is goonna get sold off to the Local Appliance shop. I usually jump into fixing such stuff, butt hay In this case i assume it is a design flaw that many folks spent >$2000 on these beasts and have no joy with them.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was having those kind of issues with my Fridgeadair for the first couple of years ... I did a bunch of searching and found the "Service Codes" that would allow me to manually cycle the defrost, reset the defrost etc. Haven't had a problem for the last eight years or so.

The service codes were the typical .... hold this button for this long, then push that button, listen for this beep or that light etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a Samsung too. If you pull the back interior panel out you will probably find a lot of ice build-up. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Whirlpool. No problems since. Now, I have a $2000 storage cabinet in my garage. Nobody wants it!

Old 05-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, the Samsungs, the LG's, etc they look fantastic, with all the LED lights, and all the other features. But performance wise, I think they are more trouble than something like a basic Whirlpool, or GE.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. Well i hope to let the local appliance shop get a bargain.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 PM

Same problem here with my 6 year old Samsung. It fills up under the crisper drawers, till it runs on the floor. Gotta break out the shop vac every 3 to 4 weeks and remove the water. it also gets water in the drawers. Nice lookin TURD!

68 GTO Street/Strip
06 GTO daily driver
Old 05-18-2020, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is an example of the typical factor service manual you can usually find on the internet with some searching.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...28hmedbsr.html

Old 05-18-2020, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I fixed this problem on my frodge a few years ago. It's quite common. There is a little drain and tube within the fridge that gets clogged. Typically, the little bit of condensaton get's drained into a little pan inside the fridge where it wicks away. There was a retrofit kit that I got at the appliance parts store that mitigates the whole clogging and wicking . I forget now what it did, but I believe that it had a larger hole in the drain that didn't clog as easily. No problem now.

"A blocked defrost drain is one of the most common causes of water leakage. This happens when food particles or other debris clogs up the drain hose, which can lead to ice buildup and, eventually, water leaking out of the freezer and refrigerator.

Fix: First, try flushing the drain from inside the freezer with warm water, using a turkey baster or a small funnel. You can also try using a pipe cleaner or a straightened coat hanger to forcibly remove the clog. If this doesn't fix the problem you may need to manually remove the debris that is clogging the check valve at the end of the drain hose."

Old 05-18-2020, 09:24 PM
Senior Chief

I just happened to see this today
https://youtu.be/JrloHZis2NM

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigGT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Samsung owner here as well. Our started acting up a little over 2 yrs old, just past the warranty period. First I had a hard time finding a certified service tech. Our freezer was not working properly, would barely keep things cold. Service guy took the back panel off and every thing was frozen over. His explanation was there was not enough insulation in the cabinet. He put more in, cost me a $175 service call and it has been working perfect since (at least a year and half now). HE told me this is a common problem with samsung.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Local shops wont touch Samsung or LG. Wont take them for free either.

Online Chat with Samsung..real candid with the chat, fella typed/responses as if i was the first to complain. I may getacall by Thursday.

The Fridge works great. The Freezer appears to work.

Stoopid idiots put a touch panel on front; hard to press, beeps at ypu, and forget its name upon a power blink.

Who'd buys this over-priced craap. We didnt. I put it on craigslist for$60

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 05-19-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a very good local appliance guy, been dealing with him for years (actually his father and now the son has taken over). He is my go to, doesnt work on Samsung, but said he gets calls all the time. As someone in the consumer service business I cant figure out why he wouldnt? If he gets that many calls sounds like a boom of business. Only thing i could think is that the authorization must be cost prohibitive. I ended up calling Sears.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One guy here figures additional insulation solved the puddle,problem (for that model). As for the suite of variations i dunno, but seems an opportunity to make dough.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:37 PM

Samsung won't acknowledge the issue, but it's well known. My wife located a retrofit kit and with a couple of tweaks from a service guy it's been working great since then. Supposedly the new ones don't have the issue. Hopefully as my wife wants the same model in the new house.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Samsung was a few months out of extended warranty when it went bad. Stopped cooling in the fridge section. I had to take the shelves and everything out of it to take the back panel off. It was froze up as was the top ice maker. I used my wife's hair dryer to defrost it. Put it back together and it ran fine for about two months before it froze up again. As you can see in the picture there is no ice on the coils. the open spot to the left of the ice build up is where the fan sits. When the ice builds up enough it hits the fan blades causing them to eventually stop turning, thus no cool air in the fridge.
In the thread I started there is reference to a lawsuit against Samsung for this and supposedly over $600,000 has been paid out. I joined the lawsuit in early February but haven't heard a thing from the attorneys handling the case.
Here is the thread I started about this back in January.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...50#post6105650
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_203236.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	540656  

Last edited by fyrffytr1; 05-20-2020 at 10:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fyrffytr1 For This Useful Post: