Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-31-2021, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Generally for the OP , I’d always go with more than needed it’s never gonna hurt, and I can see why your engine builder would want that helps keep his name good. Most engine failures naturally aspirated or boosted will be from going lean!

I try not to use 90s in my fuel systems ever, especially boosted, n/a I use 3/8 line or better, my boosted cars I do the math for what’s needed but never go below a 1/2 line. I typically ru aeromotive a1000 n/a and king sumos on boosted or Weldon pumps.

That being said my RAV dual quad is currently running on a Holley blue and has one 90 in the system because I cobbled it together w what I had in the shop that day .and what was already in the car for the RAIV lol. But I’m also not doing banzai runs w it right now either .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 10-31-2021, 02:18 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post

None of the cars I’ve set up have ever had any issues w o2 sensor not working properly, but I have heard those stories as well . A true every day street car sees enough use and abuse it will eventually fail but fail in a way you’ll notice it usually.

Again nothing is absolute but the wide band o2 sensor properly installed and batting abuse, is going to be your best way of watching your air to fuel ratio available today

Again I’m going from my own experience not watching someone else There’s no way to know if his lowest guy in the totem pole touched that O2 sensor with a something on his hands or what happened .
You can choose to believe or do whatever you want.
Your not required to listen to my thoughts or personal experience nor is anyone else.
AGAIN YOU ARE MAKING ASSUMPTIONS, but have never been to his shop.
Steve does the dyno testing and no one else. No lowest guy on the totem pole as you are implying.

But you can have your opinion and I have my experiences, on the Dynos at
Ford Research. THOUSANDS OF HOURS OF TESTING EACH YEAR.
We had 14 research cells with state of the art equipment.

Post what you wish from your experiences, I posted from 14 years of daily dyno experience at my job. JOB vs hobby.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A dyno is a controlled environment. Real driving , convertors, rears, ignition systems and a track/ street day tell the whole truth. Weather and humidity also.
Yes Tom we all know how smart you are, but you are your biggest fan. You drop names all the time and your resume. Just curious, what car do you run? Do you just help everyone with theirs? I have not been on here for a while and when I check back I remember why. My car would run out of fuel when it was a N/a car with a 1/2 inch line and a good mechanical pump. My friends BBC with a 3/8 line same pump making 150+ more H.P. than me never had an issue. As we can see from these posts, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat and what works for some does not work for others. Cheers

Old 10-31-2021, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very true JSpont

Dyno's are a tool in a controlled environment that can't mimic real time experiences.
To take that further, there are a lot of formulas one can use to determine fuel delivery requirements for any engine once installed in the car, but those formulas do not take into account frictional losses and G-forces that the car will see in use. So it's always best to cushion the fuel system on the bigger side of things for a little safety margin.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-31-2021, 07:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
A dyno is a controlled environment. Real driving , convertors, rears, ignition systems and a track/ street day tell the whole truth. Weather and humidity also.
Yes Tom we all know how smart you are, but you are your biggest fan. You drop names all the time and your resume. Just curious, what car do you run? Do you just help everyone with theirs? I have not been on here for a while and when I check back I remember why. My car would run out of fuel when it was a N/a car with a 1/2 inch line and a good mechanical pump. My friends BBC with a 3/8 line same pump making 150+ more H.P. than me never had an issue. As we can see from these posts, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat and what works for some does not work for others. Cheers
Well JSPONT, you have perfect timing.

Of course I am my biggest fan, when you actually did something with your life, you have a right to brag a bit.

What car did I run? sounds like a personal attack vs a question about achievements helping others in Drag Racing and other racing venues.

1) I supplied a bunch of parts for Marty Palbykin's GTO when he was 2 seconds faster that any other Pontiac Powered vehicle out there. 6.96 at
I believe 206 mph years before anyone else. Marty is building a new car, it may be the first car to run 300 mph in the quarter.

2) I helped the Butler Family for years, Helped Rodney with his 65 GTO first and of the two turbos on that car one was free because I made a deal to get it for him. I also helped Rodney and Travis on their 63 Tempest that went
6.28 at 227, or 6.27 at 228. Either way it does not matter. I helped with the aerodynamics on the 63 tempest.

3) I could post about the Keen family (but they are Ford Super Street World Champions and PRO MOD Champions and you don't like to read of my accomplishments about other brands.

4) 14 Years SCCA Scruitneer. That means I did the Daytona 12 hr and the 24 HR races. My Ecoboost Designed engines won Le Mans in 2016.

I could post more but compared to your attempt to drive a car with a boosted engine that would be bragging. Certified by Bob Bondurant to drive a Ford GT race car at 200 mph and have done that. You will never see 200 mph on any thing in your lifetime.

So JSPONT I don't have anymore time to listen to your poor attempt to discredit me. Isn't Going to happen. I will not get into the Patents I hold either.

Tom V.

"My car would run out of fuel when it was a N/a car with a 1/2 inch line and a good mechanical pump. My friends BBC with a 3/8 line same pump making 150+ more H.P. than me never had an issue." That says you did not have a clue on how to put together a proper fuel system.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 10-31-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did everyone forget the OP said it was a street only car?This board seems to always go that every car will be something like 10 second race car.Tom

Old 10-31-2021, 07:35 PM
Boost Engineer

I agree Tom S.

Now I have posted my reply to JSPont, if the mods want they can remove my post and his attack and we can get back on street fuel systems.

Tom V.

Old 10-31-2021, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup Tom you just proved my point. You should have all them folks add you to their signature. Steve Morris would be nothing with out you I am sure. Nut hugger is a term for people who hang on other ones accomplishments. You would be better off listing your Ford accomplishments. Even though I do know some of them from past posts. Marty could have never gone that fast with out you I am sure. TBH big money, testing and time is what it takes. I will agree Marty was way ahead of his time. Pretty sure you will still respond even though you said you have no time. Looking forward to it. I will leave you with this, no one wants anyone's resume on every post, guy has a street car looking for a decent fuel system. I will not respond to you in this thread anymore and crap up the guys post. Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to JSPONT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 08:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Old 11-01-2021, 09:10 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
You would be better off listing your Ford accomplishments. Even though I do know some of them from past posts.
Then nothing more needs to be said. Is There?

For a Street Car a 7/16" Relief Ball Regulator from Holley works great.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12...RoCL7sQAvD_BwE

Same deal with the good 4070 Carter Electric Fuel Pump

https://shopfasttrack.com/products/c...hoCUnsQAvD_BwE

Tom V.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:28 PM

I ran a Tin Indian built with Kauffman High Ports with a Holley Blue for years. Drag Race only, Noisy but worked fine. Before that I had 467 with SD Performance cast heads with a Carter Mechanical Race pump with stock lines. Ran 12 flat in a 72 Grand Prix and 10.5 with a 225 shot on NOS. I now run a 535 High Port with a Holley Whisper pump. No noise. So depends on how your gonna run it, If you go electric find one that's quite.

61 Tempest

Old 11-06-2021, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks for the input!

Thank you everyone for the input - it really helped me understand the difference between mechanical and electric pumps.

I ended up going with the Holley 110 gph mechanical pump. I asked the builder "What would you do if you were me?" and he said mechanical. Reading through this thread helped me understand a lot of the "why."

Engine was delivered yesterday:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3cresized.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	577044   Click image for larger version

Name:	17resized.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	577045   Click image for larger version

Name:	6resized.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	577046   Click image for larger version

Name:	14resized.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	577047  

Old 11-06-2021, 01:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Since he installed a block off plate for the fuel pump on the timing cover, want to sell the block-off plate to me?

Tom V.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Senior Chief

Personally like electric - is easy to prime before starting.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Since he installed a block off plate for the fuel pump on the timing cover, want to sell the block-off plate to me?

Tom V.
No - I’ll need it if I change my mind later!

Old 11-06-2021, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Tom V.
i imagine youre aware of this but they are like $10-$12 new at oreilys. would cost almost half that for him to ship it.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:05 PM
Boost Engineer

No I did not know that.
I made a block-off plate years ago for the engine currently in the car, No mechanical pump for many years.
I now have 2 other engines going together and thought buying one vs MAKING another one would be simple if he wanted to sell it.

I will check out O'Reilys and get a couple or the plates for my other engines.

Tom V.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mr gasket #1516 & quite a few other options from $10-25. oreilys is local & has them in store at my locations.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...late/mrg0/1516

Old 11-06-2021, 10:14 PM
Boost Engineer

Thank You 78w72

TV

Old 11-07-2021, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Thank you everyone for the input - it really helped me understand the difference between mechanical and electric pumps.

I ended up going with the Holley 110 gph mechanical pump. I asked the builder "What would you do if you were me?" and he said mechanical. Reading through this thread helped me understand a lot of the "why."

Engine was delivered yesterday:

Your engine looks sweet! I can’t wait to hear how it runs. and if you race it what numbers it lays down. Keep us posted on progress.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!