Old 07-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default "Step by step" instructions needed- speedometer cable replacement 71-76 full-size

Does anyone have a factory service manual for the 71-76 full-size models? I would like to know the exact instructions they (General Motors) give for changing the speedometer cable on the 73' full-size models. I am assuming that it would be exactly the same for the 71-72 and 74-76 models. I have had it with my speedometer not working and would like to replace the cable ASAP. I have a new cable, but dreading having to go under the dash to remove the cable there. Hoping there is an easier way. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Suspended

you should have the factory service manual for your car both available on CD or paper. You will have to go under the dash to unhook cable sheath from speedo and cable linkage inside comes out the speedo end of sheath, or if you have new sheath and cable, then whole assembly can be removed and replaced.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks. So either way, I am going to have to fit my hand/arm up under the dash to loosen this thing? Something I did not want to do, but I am tired of not having a speedometer, so I guess I will be forced to.

Is it something with the 70s Pontiacs? Seems like I have never seen one with a working speedometer. Back in the early 80s, we had a 74' Catalina- speedometer did not work (if I recall correctly). My uncle had a 70' Trans AM- speedometer did not work, it also did not work on his 77' Trans AM. I was just wondering if it was a trend or something.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Suspended

don't know about 70s cars, all mine on 70s cars work. That is 8 cars total. just get your hand or finger or screwdriver up on half moon shaped clip, push it in toward the speedo, while pulling on the cable sheath. usually comes out easy

Old 09-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks. I was hoping that the cable would pull out of the transmission end of the cable, but no such luck. I will try tomorrow evening to get my hand up there, or take it to a tranny shop and let them try to replace it. I just would like to do it myself, because you never know when they may hurry and damage something else in the process.

I really do need to get a shop manual for this car.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can you believe I still have not replaced this cable?

Now I am ready to do it. I am wondering if I should just remove the trim around the instrument clusters and see if I can gain access like that. First, I may see if I can get my hand up in there.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FINALLY I found someone to do this for me! I work with a older man (in his late 70s - works at the store part-time, because he is retired) that used to be a GM mechanic at GM dealerships "back in the day" - from the late 50s to the late 80s! He worked at a Chevy-Pontiac-Cadillac dealer in the early 70s (mostly worked on Pontiacs and Cadillacs where he was at) and knows these cars like a book - or so he said. He said if I get another cable he would change it for me. He said all he would have to do is like engineer said, reach up there and do it from there. I hope is memory has not faded and its not as hard to reach up under there on this particular car as some he may remember.