Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default "generator" light illuminated... 73' Grand Ville

I noticed last week that the " GEN " light on my Grand Ville was occasionally flashing on and off... steady for a few seconds, then it would go off, flash, etc. It never failed to start... it was like that for at least 2 days. It was making a "growling" noise- I assumed it was the bearings... it started doing that weeks ago when I washed the engine. Well, we thought it would be cheaper to have it rebuilt at a local shop that normally does them cheap... well, I had my father drop it off on Thursday, mom picked it up today... they charged $40! They did not bother to tell me that before they fixed it... I wanted the original, so I shelled out the $40.

Well, got home from work, installed it and the "GEN" light it still on... occasionally flashing, but its more steady now. . We removed the cable to the battery with engine on and it stayed running, so my dad said it appears to be charging. The shop that "fixed" it is closed until Monday, so I cannot do anything then. I assumed this thing had a built-in regulator, but not sure... does anyone know, or have any ideas as to what may be going on?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:06 PM

take it to a napa or carquest and have the alt checked on the car. if it's not charging take the alt off and have it tested on a stand alone machine.

what you describe sounds like brushes sticking / bouncing or a bad wiring connection.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First of all - thanks for moving this to the proper forum...

For $40.00 I would have expected a better repair job than this. I was told it should be charging since it was still running when they removed the battery cable with the engine on. ?? I have no clue. Checked all connections and they are all clean and tight.

I think I just got a bum "rebuild".... and for $40.00, they will fix it. Now I gotta take it off... again, which with that hateful spacer, is no fun.

I was hoping someone would know if these cars had a built-in regulator by this year.

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm
I was hoping someone would know if these cars had a built-in regulator by this year.

Thanks.
THEY DID! DID THESE GUYS BUY A COMPLETE REBUILD KIT AND REPLACE EVERYTHING? I HAD THAT PROBLEM IN MY 71 G.VILLE. I REBUILT IT AND IT WENT AWAY. IT MAY NOT BE PUTTING OUT ENOUGH VOLTS TO KILL THE LIGHT.

ERIC

1971 bonneville hearse 455/4
1972 grand safari wagon 6 pass 455/4
1995 Firebird Formula 5.7 convertible
2002 gp 40th anniv. SC V6
2003 gmc sierra 2500hd 8.1 liter

***LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/GratefulParts***

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GRATEFUL...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Old 09-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Supposedly for $40.00 they did. When my mom went to pick it up for me, they told here this was rebuilt with "American" parts.. not Chinese parts like the aftermarket ones.. ?? It will go back tomorrow, thats for sure.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I called and they said they put in some new type of regulator and to disconnect something and see if the light went out and was still charging, etc. I do not know, its all starting to sound a little fishy to me.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I talked to my dad and he said that they said to unplug that connector to the regulator and it would be OK. Does that not sound strange to you? We did and it seem to be charging, but not my "GEN" light does not come on at all and I have a wire unplugged on the alternator, that does not look attractive.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I am headed off to work in it with the alternator unplugged @ the regulator.... wish me luck.....

Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, incase anyone was wondering (probably not), I made it there and back just fine... so its charging I guess. We called again and he said to plug it up now and see if its OK... if not, bring it back and they will put the "old style" regulator back in it.

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, final update... had to end up taking it back... something about they had installed the wrong type of regulator for this alternator. Got a new regulator, installed it and everything is fine now.