Old 05-04-2020, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1962 GP AFB Original Gasket Question

Can anyone tell me what the holes in the lower gasket and the slots in the steel Spacer for? Left to right is how they were on. Left first. See pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92228A48-D19F-47CE-8145-4B2DF4524C7E.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	539163  

Old 05-04-2020, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to add to my confusion the gasket with my rebuild kit is 4 hole but I also ordered one from another source and it’s totally open. Just a square hole with both the primaries and secondaries all in the open square. What the heck?

Old 05-05-2020, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a bunch of gaskets left over from my days in 64-67 with a GTO 4bbl. I'm like most of us and never throw away anything the at looks remotely useful.

3 of the gaskets I have are like the ones to the top (or is that right) in your picture, They are probably left over from rebuild kits and were intended for some other applications I didn't have. I would have used gaskets from kit like my original if at all possible.

Other gasket I have is like the bottom (or left) in your picture with the two little holes near each secondary hole. I don't remember, nor does the parts book seem to mention a metal plate gasket. I have seen them in other applications but don't remember any for Pontiac in this era. But notice that the slots in the metal plate join the two holes on each side into essentially a single hole. I don't know without more information than I have what the holes are for. But as a guess I would think they are for a manifold vacuum signal to somewhere. Perhaps to power valves but I'm not sure. Are there holes on the bottom of the carb that align with these holes? If so then the other gasket with no holes that align with these would tend to render the holes useless. In this case I would suggest not using that gasket not the metal plate.

As for your gasket with only a single large opening I think that is intended to be used on a single plane manifold. Pontiac factory manifolds tend to be dual plane so should probably use the four hole gaskets.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you’re right. There’s semi circle an arc around the secondary holes that match the arc slot in the metal plate. The top baffle type gasket is so full of crud it doesn’t have any openings. I’ll go into my shop later this afternoon and try to clean up the top baffle gasket. I’m wondering if anyone still makes these 3 gaskets? It does seem they send a vacuum signal for a purpose. Thanks

Old 05-05-2020, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

make sure you have hood clearance,with the 3 gaskets. factory used this(photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake gasket.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	539232