Old 08-08-2020, 12:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 79 Trans Am - 403 Olds Cylinder wont fire.

Please help.
I have a 79 Trans Am that has a Cylinder with plenty of compression and spark but wont fire.
I recently purchased the car and the dip stick was wrong and I ran to much oil for about 50 miles and I am not sure if that had anything to do with this. Engine seems to have more of a shake to it at idle than when I purchased it. This could have been like this when I bought it - I don't know for sure.
When I pull the plug wire off the second cylinder from the front on the passenger side there is no difference on or off. I switched plugs thinking the plug might be fouled and no difference. And that plug runs fine in another cylinder. The dead Cylinder has plenty of compression with plug removed and engine running (only ran for a few seconds to check compression) with the plug out. If a valve was stuck I don't think I would have compression.
Any Ideas?
I can put a compression guage on it to check tomorrow- what should the compression be?

I also posted this question in the street section.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, pull all the plugs and check compression at each cylinder. Turn starter for 4~5 revs at each cylinder. Write down each result and look for a variation between cylinders of 10%...that is, they should all be within 10% or so of each other. That's probably more telling than the actual compression level. Works better for me if I depress the accelerator to open the carb.