Old 08-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default 73 Firebird buckets seat in 70 Lemans.

I really like the look of 73 Firebird bucket seats and am considering putting them in my 70 LeMans that came with a bench seat. The bench seat is gone and I have bought 70 LeMans bucket seat mounting bracket set.

https://www.opgi.com/interior-access...SABEgI5-PD_BwE

What I am looking for is the 73 Firebird bucket seat mounting hole (or pad) to hole distance; length and width. If you have this measurement could you send it? If I had the bucket seat I wanted I would perform the measurement my self; just turn the seat over and measure the mounting pad distance.

I suppose this measurement is the same for different years of Firebirds and Camaros but I don't the year span.

Thanks,
bt

Old 08-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This doesn't really answer your question, but it might help...

When we put '95 Camaro buckets into our '72 Camaro, we put the '72 seat brackets on the '95 seats and they bolted right in... The '95 brackets would not have worked.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'70 & 71-74 F-body buckets, the fore & aft center to center length of where their bucket seat track attaches to the floor is 16". Much shorter span on a '66-72 Strato bucket seat like used in a 70 LeMans Sport/GTO. Looking at mid 11 inches for same dimension (have a-body buckets up in the racks, so am measuring the base of a '66-72 A-body power seat track). Will have a stripped interior bucket seat GTO pulled out to measure further late Monday.

On the mounting holes in the stamped steel seat structure, the 2nd Gen F-body measures 12.5" center to center. The A-body's Strato bucket measures several inches more.

Nearly any type of bucket seat could be adapted, but will throw this out: Stock 2nd Gen seats are not that sturdy in a performance vehicle. Whether they're '71-74 or 75-81 F-body bucket seats, its very common to break the drivers side LH seat track behind the front mounting foot. Many years ago in my modded '80 turbo car I broke several LH outer seat tracks. I'm 6-3 & was around 190lbs in mid 80's. Finally figured out the spotwelds that hold the stamped steel structure of the lower portion of the 2nd Gen F-body seat, those spotwelds tear & the lower seat shell rocks slightly. That in turn will eventually cause the outer track to break up front behind the foot. Not talking a high mile car, i was breaking the lh track @ under 25k miles. In the mid 80's, the drivers side adjustable track was under $40, good price @ the dealer. I'd buy another & eventually break it. Same part was discontinued years later @ over a $100. Today, much more spendy if one can find one, NOS. To combat this being repeated, in preparing my earlier 2nd Gen T/A's bucket seats for new foam & reupholstery I've stripped the lower shells down to bare metal & reinforced the lwr seat shells welding in small curved pieces of sheet steel I've cut out of scrap hoods & hand formed w a body hammer. Not noticeable when the lower cushions are installed. also took time to make sure the installed seats exhibit no lean to the center of the car.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:25 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info. This is just what I was looking for. It seems I have two options; find and recover A body bucket seats or search the junk yard for any bucket seats that meet my measurement requirements.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same looking buckets used in a 73 GTO.. AND GP.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:58 PM

1973 thru 1977 Grand Prix buckets will work but you might need to use stock frame brackets. Seat belt mounting is also a variable as GP seats bolt to the lap belt retractors.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertracker View Post
Thanks for the info. This is just what I was looking for. It seems I have two options; find and recover A body bucket seats or search the junk yard for any bucket seats that meet my measurement requirements.
I would run the A body seats. I ran 85 IROC seats in a 68 Cutlass - looked weird at best.