WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Wheels/Tires

04-06 Wheels/Tires Stay stock or go custom?

Old 07-03-2006, 05:45 AM

Default Tire Wear vs. Wheel Alignment

I think many GTO owners are experiencing rear tire wear as I am. I recently purchased a 2004 with 17K miles after shopping, shopping, shopping.

I am experienced (30+ years) in wheel alignment and tire service. While looking at used 2004 and 2005 vehicles I noticed none had original tires at 30K miles and all were in a progressive state of premature wear because of poor rear wheel alignment. By feeling the tires, my experience indicated the rear tires are 1/8" to 1/4" out of line and the tires are operating in a severe state of toe-in.

Before purchasing my car I negotiated a free wheel alignment. Yes! The salesman cheerfully reported I was correct and they had reset the alignment. When picking up the car, I asked to talk to the Service Manager who apparently did not understand alignments and asked the kid who worked on it to come over. All he could tell me is that he set it according to specs. I then asked to talk to someone with some experience who was able to bring me a copy of specifications and the print out of before/after settings. The man knew what he was talking about but couldn't explain any satisfactory reason for adding more toe-in to correct a toe-in wear problem. Talk about doing things "bass ackwards"! Don't correct the obvious problem, just set it to specs! (reference: Reliable Chevrolet Big Lot, Springfield, MO)

While in Kansas City I visited the Andy Klein Pontiac dealership where I didn't meet with the service manager but a stand in CLOWN who assured me twice that TOE-IN DID NOT CAUSE TIRE WEAR, IT WAS CAUSED BY CAMBER AND CASTER! I looked him in the eye twice and assured him twice that he was DEAD WRONG! After making an ass of himself he put on the icing by assuring me that GTO and Corvette models were not supposed to get more than 20K miles to a set of tires. I looked him in the eye again and assured him that I sell tires and a 400 treadwear rating (G Force T/A) on the tires I sell are normally 50K mile tires if the wheels are aligned properly. He gave me confidence in the service department by concluding that "He could not help me." (I wonder if any manufacturer gives a damn about a customer's problem, I know Ford goes from one extreme to the other)

**The only conclusion to be drawn is that a high level screwup has occurred in the specs for the rear toe and perhaps camber setting also. No recalls of any kind are issued for the car. WE NEED A RECALL! GM Customer Service was nice but hasn't called back. DO WE NEED A CLASS ACTION SUIT?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Chief

I've only got 11K on my '05, and I haven't noticed any excessive tire wear. You might want to post on LS1GTO.com. You'll get more views and responses there.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:34 AM
Senior Chief

You are very correct about the toe setting affecting tire wear. From my memory those GTO's have outstanding handling characteristics. 20k is acceptable for that type of car. I know that you sell tires, but the 400 tread rating is a rating given to each tire by the manufacturer of each tire and I have yet to see a high performance tire meet their treadwear rating. You have to take into account th epower being transferred to the rear wheels causing alot of tire squirm, which does happen in normal LOW power passenger cars like cavaliers or taurus's. I have owned several 94 - 99 Trans ams and an eagle talon turbo with a 4cyl turbo all had low profile tires and none made more than 20k. They also use different materials in these tires to keep you safe at 140 miles an hour. And these material don't last long. I never think about tire wear when I purchase a performance car, I worry about the COPS!!!!!!!

Its hard to find a good alignment guy. We had one that could align a car to prevent tire wear not just to specs. I know what you are saying. Enjoy your GTO!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked for NTW now NTB for 4 years in college ( National tire warehouse)