Old 12-22-2019, 06:48 PM
Suspended

Nice and solid. The WD-40 couldn't penetrate the coating since it wasn't cracking or peeling anywhere.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For removing undercoating, a heat gun is okay, but I normally use a propane torch since it heats it up faster, so the job moves along faster. You just have to be very careful not to catch anything on fire. Keep a fire extinguisher, or bucket of water or sand close by just in case. So, propane torch in the left hand heating up a small section of undercoat at a time, and a 1-1/2" or 2" wide putty knife(metal blade) in the right hand coming right behind the heat, scraping it off pretty easily.

Lay down some 3.5 mil plastic sheeting to catch the scrapings and mess and keep your floor clean.

Scrape off as much as you can. Then to remove the remaining residue, put some mineral spirits in a spray bottle and spray the mineral spirits on a small section at a time, and use some #3 coarse steel wool to scrub it off. Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands. It dissolves pretty easily. Finish up by wiping it down with mineral spirits on an old terry cloth towel. It'll be pretty clean at that point.

Beyond that, to prepare for painting, you could sand and wirebrush the metal and try removing as much rust as your can. Sandblasting would be best for removing rust, but of course makes a bigger mess. After cleaning that up, then spray with epoxy primer, and then finish as you wish. 78 and older normally had a red oxide primer bottom. 79-81 normally were black oxide bottoms. Epoxy primer is available in either of those colors and would be more durable than the original lacquer primer the factory used, and would be good enough by itself. I like to spray over the epoxy with some urethane clear, flattened to a satin gloss, which looks nicer and provides added protection. Or you could paint over the epoxy with body color if originality is not important.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:34 PM

Thanks Grand73Am! Sounds like you have it down to a science!

Old 12-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Macho View Post
Thanks Grand73Am! Sounds like you have it down to a science!
You're welcome . I used to restore old cars for a living, so I developed my own method.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:28 PM

Progress has been fairly slow. I pressured washed the underside again. Got lots of dirt off but undercoating not so much. I am trying to refinish parts as I take them off. Power steering pump and and front sway bar are done, and have purchased new ps hoses and sway bar bushings and links.

I cleaned some on the driver side outside rear frame rail this afternoon. I am pretty surprised at how much of the underneath side of this car is blue. Definitely going back this way. I like using a wire knot brush head on a hand held die grinder.

Go Chiefs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	529988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	529989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	529990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	529991  

Old 02-06-2020, 07:42 PM

Default Good news...

Quick update.

I purchased the car from a 25 year old kid who swore to the previous long term owner of 30 years that he was going to restore this car as a way of sealing the deal on the purchase. After getting the car home, he quickly advertised it to make a quick buck. That is where I came in the picture. I have since stopped any communication with the 25 year old kid. All I can say is that Karma always comes around. So in the process, I was able to make contact with the LTO. He purchased the car from his best-friends little brother. Said little brother is the one who ran the car into the ground.

Long story short, I got a text message yesterday that LTO had found the original disc brake/posi rear end for the car and that if I wanted it, it was mine! Very cool, and generous on his part! I knew something was up with the rear axle that is currently in the car, but hadn't done any research or asked LTO details. Turns out the original rear axle had locked up and he got tired of needing help moving the car around in his barn. So he got another rear axle that is out of an '81 turbo T/A and set the original unit to the side. I am stoked about getting the original axle back in the car.

Now I have the dilemma of shipping a rear axle from DE to MO!

Anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited by 78Macho; 02-06-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pm sent

Old 02-08-2020, 04:48 PM

A huge thanks to TAKerry!

He has generously volunteered his time to get the original rear end from the LTO, get it secured to a pallet and ready for an ltl carrier to deliver it to me in MO!

Can't say how grateful I am to folks in our hobby that are willing to go the extra mile to help another car guru out!

Will update after I receive the rear end later this month.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78Macho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Rear update

The original rear end for my car has arrived! A huge thank you to TAKerry! He met up with the former LTO and picked the unit up and took it to his shop. He mounted it on a pallet and I was able to secure FedEx ground to ship it to Kansas City for $220.

Here are a couple of pics!

PP, G009, 2

Thanks to Rocky for the code deciphering:
PP 3:23 ratio
G Chevrolet Mfg
009 julian date, 9th day of 1979
2 is second shift

Now I start into servicing and restoring the rear end. I am about 85% done with the underside of the rear section of the body. Next I will prep and prime it before some black paint and Atlantis blue overspray!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79 W72 rear 1.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	534502   Click image for larger version

Name:	79 W72 rear 2.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	534503  

Old 03-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad I was able to help, and glad you got it so quickly. Not sure if you did but I sent the LTO a text saying it had shipped, he was happy to hear that. I was very temped to wire wheel the casting info and see what it was but I figured that would be like opening someone else's birthday present! Thank you for your generosity as well.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:31 PM
Senior Chief

Looks great!

1979 W72 Fire Am
1976 Fire Am
Old 03-16-2020, 07:53 PM

Macho that was something for the LTO to contact you about your rear end and you're so right about karma. Way to step up Kerry that was great on your part.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:13 PM

Default Progress

Well it seems that most of us have some extra time on our hands these days. Hope everyone is safe and well!

I am getting very close to being done on the rear section of the underbody. I am plan to drop the rear axle and springs out by this weekend to finish up on the forward frame rails.

The jack stands under the rear axle were made in my high school metals class back in 1984!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79 W72 under 3.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	535198  

Old 03-23-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your stripper has WS6 according to the frame brackets and rear wheel disc. Rear disc alone doesn't always mean WS6 but the brackets do. Maybe the wheels are original too. All performance goodies!!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 04-04-2020, 10:00 PM

Default Still getting dirty

I got the rear end pulled out week before last. I am going to pull the leaf springs off the axle along with the brake calipers. Started working on cleaning the original rear end. It is still bolted to the pallet and is about 75% wire brushed. I haven't ever had a car down this far before. The 78 Macho underside had been cleaned and painted before I purchased it. This is some nasty work but I am very hopeful the finished product will look nice. I got most of the transmission tunnel cleaned this afternoon and the floor boards to the front edge of where the front seats bolt in. Planning on going back and do more wire brushing a few areas a little more before I do a final wipe down and lay some primer down.

Stay safe and well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79 W72 rear 3.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	536376   Click image for larger version

Name:	79 W72 under 5.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	536377  

Old 04-27-2020, 10:26 PM

Default rear leaf spring help needed please!

I am stuck and need help please! I posted in the suspension tech section as well.

There are four leaf spring insulator/cushions on each leaf spring sets. They are hard plastic and have a type of button that sticks through the end of the individual leaf. I want to replace mine. Help please!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spring insulator 1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	538578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring insulator 2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	538579  

Old 04-27-2020, 11:33 PM
Suspended

those are probably better than most for original leafsprings. Norwood was making new retainer straps years ago, maybe he had a source.
WS6 brace bars can be added and removed by anyone as well.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:31 AM

Default Score!

Thanks to Dadspackard in the suspension/tech section, Eaton Detroit Spring has "tip insert" replacements for $1.75 each! Wow, that was crazy!

Lots of separate work going on with the rear axle, springs, brake lines etc... hopefully will have some progress pictures in May!

Old 05-16-2020, 08:20 PM

Default Rear end progress

Here are a few pics of the rear end. I pulled the axle shafts in order to get the brake caliper backing plates off. Over all the rear end was in pretty good shape as far as rust was concerned. I have been using a heavy build primer. I have not been spending as much time as I should be but progress is starting to build momentum. Leaf springs are done, rear sway bar is done, I have new brake lines in from Ames, all new urethane bushings to replace the worn out rubber pieces. Will be ordering e-brake rebuild kit from Scarebird for the new calipers, as well as e-brake cables from local O'Reillys. 77 Trashcan is lined up to make a trip to MO from OK to purchase the extra rear end! I have purchased a very nice drive shaft and trans cross member from Camaropartsworld out of OH, thanks Doug! The drive shaft the "kid" sent (all wrapped up) with the car was too long and looked like it had spent most of its life in the bottom of a pond. The transmission mounting bracket on the cross member had been cut off and rewelded on the other side. Karma, its gonna get him! I have some minor bodywork to do under the car before I start spraying some primer and then black paint.

Stay safe and well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79 Rear axle primer.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	540360   Click image for larger version

Name:	79 Rear axle paint.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	540361  

Old 05-16-2020, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Making good progress.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over