Old 10-23-2002, 09:24 AM

I had to to sell it after marriage and 3 kids came along. I was triple black acrylic paint and very little chrome. For the last 15 or 20 yrs. I've kept my eyes open for another one close to this but with no luck, was wondering if there was any help out there? thanks, Bill

Old 10-23-2002, 09:24 AM

I had to to sell it after marriage and 3 kids came along. I was triple black acrylic paint and very little chrome. For the last 15 or 20 yrs. I've kept my eyes open for another one close to this but with no luck, was wondering if there was any help out there? thanks, Bill

Old 10-26-2002, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3400 lb Pontiac Executive, how the heck did you get it to that weight.
My '68 Catalina was at least 4200 lbs and that is being very conservative.

Old 10-26-2002, 08:22 PM

With time details get better. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I know my low option GP is 4300 lbs. Also never had 425 hp motors is 68, 390hp was the 428HOs rating. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] Still a great story, I am hope I never make the mistake of selling my GP. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

He never said it was the stock engine. I also don't know how it could weigh so little. 68 prix, what are the specs on your car?

You don't go huntin' bear with a stick, you get a tank with a mega cannon.

Old 10-28-2002, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad's '95 GP weighs 3200#s.

My '66 Bonne weighs 4200#s.

A '68 Executive is the same wheelbase of a '66 Bonne with just as much sheet metal.

Do the math. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 10-28-2002, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And a 428 was NEVER available in a Executive.

Executives were a poor-mans Bonneville.

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:47 AM
On Vacation

Where did you get the idea it was not available on that model?

Old 10-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez, this title was too inviting [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Agree with Spartan, one could order a 428 or 428HO in any B series...a Catalina, Executive, GrandPrix, or Bonneville. I doubt a handful of Exec's received the top option engine though.

Question is...How does one make a 428HO '68 Pontiac weigh 3400lbs?

Old 10-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Answer, you cut a 1000lbs of ugly off them! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2002, 04:19 PM
On Vacation

On a related note, my friend knows of a '68 Strato Chief with a 427 . . .

Old 10-30-2002, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The car would not be made with that motor. It could be ordered if someone wanted it. It was not a standard motor for the executive.

As far as I know a Strato Cheif was a Canadian car in '68 which could be ORDERED with a 427.

Old 10-30-2002, 12:35 PM

68GrandPrix,
My GP has crank windows, Rear window defrost and AM/FM radio. It had a vinyl roof that I removed.
The stock 400 was bored .030 over and Comp Ram Air 4 replacement cam installed. A gasket match to the Performer RPM and 5 angle valve job are all that are done to the heads. I run some modified 1 3/4 headers and modified 3 inch torque tech exhaust. I also run a vacuume secondary 750 Holley.
I installed a 12 bolt Chevy with ladder bars. I was running 3.73 gears and just upped to 4.56s. I have run the best of a 14.2 with a 0-60 foot time in the high 1.80s. The governor was not allowing the trans to shift properly so my times suffered.
If you want to know more feel free to e-mail me about my car.

Old 10-30-2002, 01:00 PM
On Vacation

Joe, the 428 was an RPO in all full-size American Ponchos.

And yes, the 427 is correct.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know it was an RPO for any B-Body Pontiac but they really just didn't make any or VERY VERY few like that. It's hard enough to find a Bonneville with a 428 much less an Executive. IF there is a 428 Executive out there, its one RARE bird.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:57 AM
On Vacation

I'm sure they're very rare, but before you said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And a 428 was NEVER available in a Executive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I was just curious where you got your information because it was something I have never heard.

Old 10-31-2002, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I should have elaborated a little better, The Executive wouldn't come of the factory line with a 428 as a standard motor. That would have to be special ordered which I am sure probably almost never happened. The Executive was the cheap alternative to the Bonneville. If someone was concerned about the money they were spending they wouldn't spend the extra dough to upgrade to a 428.

I have found ALOT of B-body Pontiacs in my searches and have NEVER seen an Executive with anything other than a standard motor. I spend my time looking for the fullsize '66s and I can tell you that I have never seen nor heard of a '66 Executive with a 421. Everyone I have seen had the base YD 389.

Just for kicks I would like everyone to keep thier eyes peeled for a '68 Executive with a 428. I can guarantee that IF you find one in the first place, it will have a 400.

Old 11-01-2002, 01:11 AM

O.k. guys, I admit it. I transposed the weight figures, it was 4300#'s. I ordered it from the factory loaded just like I said still have an old title. Ordered from Knisley Pontiac in a town called Washington Court House, Ohio in spring of 1968. Went through two motors in first 6 months I owned car. Distribitor popped up through hood on first engine and second engine spun cam lobe, but the third one the factory sent was best engine I've ever owned. The only drawback I saw was placementof tach out on hood. But it was still one fine car. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate all the comments. Bill