Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 PM

Default How I solved my overheating problem

In other threads I have described how my newly rebuilt 4 cylinder was running hot enough to light up the "Hot" light at idle, even though it didn't seem hot. The block wasn't too hot to touch; neither were the radiator hoses nor the radiator itself. I eventually tried running the engine with a meat thermometer in the radiator, and it showed that the coolant temperature was between 170 and 180 degrees - hot, but not overheating temperature.

Today I solved the problem: a NOS temperature sender. I bought one that came up on eBay, and replaced the one I bought from NAPA, and no more hot light at idle.

Now, once I put the front stabalizer bar and seatbelts in, all I need is a dry day to take my '62 out for my first drive in 2 years.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:32 PM

Default GAUGES!

I strongly recommend installing some aftermarket gauges somewhere to monitor the vitals. Oil pressure, Coolant temperature, and maybe Volt meter (or Ammeter). Do not rely on (possibly) 44 year old light bulbs to inform you of a problem.

I paid 'big bucks' for a digital (electric) Coolant temp gauge (Nordskog??? - Summit racing) and thought I had a coolant problem in my '69 GTO and replaced a bunch of stuff before I suspected the fancy gauge. A simple installation of a $12 mechanical gauge which revealed I never topped 190 deg whereas the digital gauge would consistently read 30-40 degrees higher! Even with a replacement sending unit, it read high. I had adequate grounding from the engine to the fire wall. That made me furious! I'll *never* buy the electrical gauges - I'll always use the mechanical type.

Simple gauge installation should take only about 2 hours. Time well spent.

Good luck on the maiden voyage. I hope the car serves you well.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nevermind, I thought you said overEATing.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run a set of Stewart Warner mechanical gauge's. Oil pressure & water temp. I left the oil sender in & working & tap'd into the gallery next to the distributor for the gague. I pulled out the temp sender & put the water temp connection in place of it. They have been working perfectly for over 9 years.

With the "idiot light" by the time it comes on for real, usually the engine is allready way overheated!!!