Old 05-22-2016, 02:38 PM

Default Build sheet questions

So I found my build sheet today under the gas tank if my 70 GTO. First question: is there anything I can do to clean it up to be more readable? I think it's stained with gas. Secondly, a second build sheet was taped to ours with the line number that follows ours so I assume it was accidentally taped to ours and was the car after. Anyone ever heard of this before? It's a palisade green automatic car. I'd love to get it back to the owner of that car if possible.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:04 PM

Update on the build sheet attached to ours, I believe it's a 1970 Catalina wagon "25236" vin. (Correct me if I'm wrong) it's an automatic with a/c.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
First question: is there anything I can do to clean it up to be more readable?
Cleaning a buildsheet

May work for the gas stains also?

Might scan the sheets the way they are right now for backup/safety reasons?

We would be interested in pics of the sheets also.

Pretty cool to find 2 sheets but it does happen quite often.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTtransam View Post
. Secondly, a second build sheet was taped to ours with the line number that follows ours so I assume it was accidentally taped to ours and was the car after. Anyone ever heard of this before?
Yes - it happens.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Senior Chief

I don't like to use lacquer thinner. I use prep solvent. Lay the buildsheet in an old clean cookie sheet and let soak for a couple of hours or so. Then remove the sheet from the cookie sheet and over an appropriate container pour clean prep solvent over the sheet to clean any left over grime off. Then hang with a clothes pin to dry. This was a tip from Scott Tiemann from many years ago and it works without damaging the sheet or ink.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTtransam View Post
Secondly, a second build sheet was taped to ours with the line number that follows ours so I assume it was accidentally taped to ours and was the car after. Anyone ever heard of this before?
My 70 still had another car's build sheet attached to the bottom, looked like it was ripped through the middle of the second sheet instead of on the serrations. It was also found on top of the gas tank and had TAC written in black grease pencil on it. The one I found inside the car was perfect, like the person had taken a little more time to tear from the printer and place.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Cleaning a buildsheet

May work for the gas stains also?

Might scan the sheets the way they are right now for backup/safety reasons?

We would be interested in pics of the sheets also.

Will try to post pictures of the sheet when I can. Unfortunately you can't read much of it right now.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIVJUDGE View Post
I don't like to use lacquer thinner. I use prep solvent. Lay the buildsheet in an old clean cookie sheet and let soak for a couple of hours or so. Then remove the sheet from the cookie sheet and over an appropriate container pour clean prep solvent over the sheet to clean any left over grime off. Then hang with a clothes pin to dry. This was a tip from Scott Tiemann from many years ago and it works without damaging the sheet or ink.
Thanks for the info! Going to give it a try this weekend!

Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Cleaning a buildsheet

My Pontiac Plant built '72 GTO line #17 had the build sheet for a '72 Catalina line #16 in the trunk.(I still have it)

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv