67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:34 PM
Senior Chief

Yep, Got that one from Don, NOS in the box. My car had a repro on it and I have the original tach in a box. Guts of the original were a mess so I ponyed up for that one. Don is right the bezels are much thicker then original or NOS.

Don's tachs are nice so get them while he has them.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Senior Chief

Randy,
Will your tachs work on a LS motor? 2006 GTO?

Bert

I want my driveway to look like I'm stuck in the 70's!!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 PM

It could be a bit of a trick question. As I understand it the tach has to be calibrated for a 4 cylinder as that is how the stock computer outputs the tach signal, that is unless the computer has been reprogrammed to output the tach signal as an 8 cylinder. My tach will trigger off of any pulse or square wave that is around 9V in amplitude. From reading the forums some cars output this level and some don't. If it doesn't then a pull up resistor must be installed to make it work. In the end Yes I will work with you and calibrate a hood tach for a 4 cylinder and can include a pull up resistor that you can install if it its needed. I built one for a 2015 Challenger last year as an 8 cylinder and he ended up sending it back to me to re-calibrate as a 4 cylinder. In the end the Hurst Logo Hood tach I custom made for him worked, it was just a bit of a learning curve for both me and the customer.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM
Senior Chief

I was having a disussion with a guy the other day about this and he said he had done this for a customers car and he said he thinks he hooked it up as a 1 cylinder...he wasn't positive though. Make any sense to you?
Email me at bertmac1111@yahoo.com and lets see if we can work something out.
This would be going on a 1970 GTO running all 2006 GTO motor, wiring, computer dash, etc...

Bert

Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM

It would possibly make sense if he triggered off of just one of the 8 coils, however if he used an ECU tach output lead not so much. Here is a thread on it from another forum. http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...rking-ls1.html where the consensus is that the ECU outputs a 4 cyl tach output signal unless reprogrammed. I will PM you.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

I think he triggered off one coil pack.. I got your email and will get with you on the tach later

Thanks
Bert

Old 02-08-2017, 03:15 AM

I sent my tach to Randy for repair. He received it on a Monday and had it shipped out on Thursday - certainly one of the quickest turn-arounds I've experienced. He took my tired and malfunctioning original tach and refurbished it to look almost new and work just like new, his workmanship is fantastic!. I checked the calibration using a timing light with a RPM feature (so it was calculating the RPM off the first spark plug wire) and the tach was spot on at 2000 RPM and 3000 RPM. For the past 5 years it has been off by 10% and recently it started working sporadically and off between 25% - 50%. So in summary, fast turn-around, fantastic workmanship, and to top it off, a very reasonable cost. Thanks Tim John for the recommendation, thanks PY Forums, and most of all THANKS Randy!

1969 Firebird Convertible 400 Ram Air/HO (WQ), 4spd (M20), saf-t-track, hood tach, A/C, P/B, P/S, AM/FM Stereo, P/A - (24 options on the PHS)

My album: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hp?albumid=665