Old 05-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Senior Chief

I have told this story before, but it has been a while so I'll tell it again for those of you that are newer to the board. At age 16, I was on the pit crew [GO FOR] of a friend that ran an "A" Altered. It was a 32 Ford 5 window cp. if I remember correctly. I had a passion for drag racing and thought my Dad's 55 Pontiac was one fast street car. I borrowed his car one night to pick up a couple of friends and head to Fresno Ca. and the "Rasin City Drag Strip" to help out my friend with the Altered. After a full night of nitro and tire smoke I was as pumped as one could get. We headed back on our 50 mile trip home and the three of us couldn't stop talking about how fast the top fuelers were. My friends lived about 15 miles from my Dad's house and I was around a half mile from their place. We were stopped at a stop sign, and the need to show just what my Dad's old Pontiac could do was overwelming.
As I prepaired to leave the stop sign, all common sense and rational thinking left my brain, and the Drag Race Demon took over.
I told my friends that if they thought those Top Fuelers were fast, they were about to feel some real power. I wound that little 287 cid up for all she was worth in nutral and dropped it into DRIVE. If that car moved an inch, I would be surprised, I heard this loud SNAP and the car just sat there. I put it in reverse, and back into drive, still no movement. I had no idea what could be wrong so we walked to my friends house and at 1AM had to call my Dad and let him know his car was broken. As I sat there for the half hour it took my Dad to get there, I was frantically trying to think up a believable story to tell him.
Now my Dad was a Pontiac Mechanic, and a good one at that, so when I couldn't think of a good reason to explain why the U joints were spread all over the road, and the drive shaft was laying on the ground, I told him just what MY son told me, "Dad all I did was take off easy and it just broke. Why ya blaming me"? Ya Right. After we [he] got it fixed, I was on foot for what seemed like eternity. Goes to show ya, what goes around comes around!

www.pontiacfever.freehomepage.com/images/67_tempest_fair_grounds.jpg

Old 05-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Senior Chief

I have told this story before, but it has been a while so I'll tell it again for those of you that are newer to the board. At age 16, I was on the pit crew [GO FOR] of a friend that ran an "A" Altered. It was a 32 Ford 5 window cp. if I remember correctly. I had a passion for drag racing and thought my Dad's 55 Pontiac was one fast street car. I borrowed his car one night to pick up a couple of friends and head to Fresno Ca. and the "Rasin City Drag Strip" to help out my friend with the Altered. After a full night of nitro and tire smoke I was as pumped as one could get. We headed back on our 50 mile trip home and the three of us couldn't stop talking about how fast the top fuelers were. My friends lived about 15 miles from my Dad's house and I was around a half mile from their place. We were stopped at a stop sign, and the need to show just what my Dad's old Pontiac could do was overwelming.
As I prepaired to leave the stop sign, all common sense and rational thinking left my brain, and the Drag Race Demon took over.
I told my friends that if they thought those Top Fuelers were fast, they were about to feel some real power. I wound that little 287 cid up for all she was worth in nutral and dropped it into DRIVE. If that car moved an inch, I would be surprised, I heard this loud SNAP and the car just sat there. I put it in reverse, and back into drive, still no movement. I had no idea what could be wrong so we walked to my friends house and at 1AM had to call my Dad and let him know his car was broken. As I sat there for the half hour it took my Dad to get there, I was frantically trying to think up a believable story to tell him.
Now my Dad was a Pontiac Mechanic, and a good one at that, so when I couldn't think of a good reason to explain why the U joints were spread all over the road, and the drive shaft was laying on the ground, I told him just what MY son told me, "Dad all I did was take off easy and it just broke. Why ya blaming me"? Ya Right. After we [he] got it fixed, I was on foot for what seemed like eternity. Goes to show ya, what goes around comes around!

www.pontiacfever.freehomepage.com/images/67_tempest_fair_grounds.jpg