Old 01-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Senior Chief

I found these over the holidays. Two '68 GTO convertibles. The both still have complete original drivetrains. Both have hideaways and white interiors. The red one has a hood tach and his hers shifter.The green one is a bench seat column shift A/C car. They were tangled up in a divorce and have been sitting since the 70s. What a shame.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto2.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	77895  

Old 01-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Those two goats look like theyd make good parts cars.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC6-Man
Those two goats look like theyd make good parts cars.
Yup, that was exactly my assesment.
The red car in the background has been in the family since new. Both the husband and wife worked at GM - he at Pontiac Motors and she at Fisher Body. The interesting thing is that when the red car was being built, they followed it down the line. Since they knew the person whos job it was to stamp the cowl tags, instead of stamping in the build date, the operator stamped in her full name ! I had never seen that before, but as we all know, almost anything was possible back then !

Old 01-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

those convertibles would be hard to make into parts cars

here's one in my hometown that has been killing me
original owner absolutely refuses to think about selling it, although he's friendly

He realizes it's just going to rot to the ground, but it makes him happy to remember all the memories every time he looks at it - has sat in the same spot since '85 under pine trees
It's super rough - holes through the body...5" of pine needles on the back deck...interior is a mold factory

but it's a real HO 4 spd all #'s matching bucket seat, console and some other options
he says 100's of people try to buy it all the time...it won't be going anywhere (although his wife would love to be rid of it)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gto1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	78089   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto2.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	78090   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto3.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	78091  

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE

Last edited by baron_; 01-06-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfolly
Yup, that was exactly my assesment.
The red car in the background has been in the family since new. Both the husband and wife worked at GM - he at Pontiac Motors and she at Fisher Body. The interesting thing is that when the red car was being built, they followed it down the line. Since they knew the person whos job it was to stamp the cowl tags, instead of stamping in the build date, the operator stamped in her full name ! I had never seen that before, but as we all know, almost anything was possible back then !
What is stoping some one from saving the cars now sounds like the ink's dry?

Old 01-07-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron_
those convertibles would be hard to make into parts cars

here's one in my hometown that has been killing me
original owner absolutely refuses to think about selling it, although he's friendly

He realizes it's just going to rot to the ground, but it makes him happy to remember all the memories every time he looks at it - has sat in the same spot since '85 under pine trees
It's super rough - holes through the body...5" of pine needles on the back deck...interior is a mold factory

but it's a real HO 4 spd all #'s matching bucket seat, console and some other options
he says 100's of people try to buy it all the time...it won't be going anywhere (although his wife would love to be rid of it)

Tell him it'll make nice cover while fighting off the invading commies.

That'll give him somethin to think about.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Department X
What is stoping some one from saving the cars now sounds like the ink's dry?
Well, I found out a few days after the visit, that my concern for the cars rubbed off on him and he is at least going to get the GTOs indoors and possibly try to do something with them.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 AM

A couple of years ago I picked up an ALL #'s matching 455HO 71 T/A. The car had been sitting outside since 1983. The car had 3" of water on the floors and moss growing on the dash... it was like a swamp inside. Needless to say it was more project than I could handle so I sold it.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:12 AM
Suspended

Back in 2001 I drove past a '65 lemans ho convertible with a 4 speed every day for 4 years Then one day I was on my way to buy a 37 chevy for 2300 bucks when I thought I would just stop in and ask about it. The Lady just shook her head and said we get about 2-3 enquiries a week about that car. heres the guy's number and give him a call. Well I did. He was the secound owner and said 'I want alot for that car" After a long pause and a little pucker I asked How much? Well i want 2 thousand bucks!. My next question was where do you live I'll be right over with the money. He lived five hours away. I told him I'll be 'Right over"! he laughed and said dont bother, I'll be down that way in two weeks. for two weeks I walked around with 2000 bucks in my pocket and finally bought it off him. For years later members of a local GTO club complained sometimes bitterly about showing up repeatedly to meet with the seller and he was a no show.
next story was a 75 grand ville about two miles from my house. drove past it every day on the way to work (nother job). First I thought it was a chrysler biggie size. then I thought it was a full size 78 Buik. Finally after driving by it for 7 years I stopped in and talked to the old lady. She only spoke spanish and asked me to talk to her Daughter when she got home from work. needless to say I did. I came over looked it over and realised it was a 455. I asked how much. She said $150.00. I paused for a long time and finally told her... now get this... I told her its worth more than that. She stood by her guns and said well thats what we want. take it or leave it. She then said and I'll have you know thats origional miles too! I looked at the speedo. 82ooo origional miles. Later I yanked the motor and was going to tow the carcass out into the deseart and shoot it up. I ended selling 1400 bucks worth of sheetmetal off it on this very web site.
Another short story, A 76 Grand Prix also 2 miles from my house. 62000 miles and $350.00 later it was mine. Popped its cherry for the above 65. and sold the entire car to a guy in tucson for 700.00.
Last story. Five years ago I met this guy who had a bunch of old cars. I told him about my lust for pontiacs. He told me about a 63 lemans he had parked in a shed since '85. I would bump into him about every year or so and ask about the 63. not for sale, not for sale. Finally one day he said 1700. bucks. I agreed that it was worth that much but didn't have that kind of money. A year ago we met again and he said he would like to sell it. I told him I loved that car and would buy it but no money. About 2 months ago A mutual friend said he still got it and is hurtin for money. I felt bad because his house burned down and it was neer Christmas. I felt double bad because I actually went over and looked at it again. Its a beauty but I'm short money and its christmas time. So I left emty handed. I came into some money and went over and asked him one final time howmuch? Five hundred. I said ok maybe. I went home and scraped together 430.00 bucks. It was tight like a crack whore pushing a pipe. Yeah that tight. I came up with a bell housing set up for a small block, a small block Holley intake and 430.00 bucks. and it was mine. that was just a few days befor christmas. Check that car out in th 61-63 tempest tech forum under pictures of your cars bottom of page five. Ha!

Old 01-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Chief

Here's a picture of two cars I just found driving thru a local neigborhood.
They've been sitting since 1982 all covered up. The left is a 69 vette and the right is an early 70's T/A, Lucerne Blue. This is as close as I could get to the cars.

I went up to the door with my 8yr old daughter and knocked. A woman about 70yrs old answered and I asked about the cars and if they might be for sale.
She said her husband wasn't home, but that he will never sell them and is going to fix them up some day.

She went on to say that their son died in 1982 and they parked his cars and covered them up.

You can see in the picture the covers have moss growing on them...no telling what they look like underneath. I'll probably stop buy again in the spring if it looks like the husband is home.

Very sad for the parents....and the cars.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7255.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	79701  

Old 01-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador-IV
They've been sitting since 1982 all covered up. The left is a 69 vette and the right is an early 70's T/A, Lucerne Blue. This is as close as I could get to the cars.

I went up to the door with my 8yr old daughter and knocked. A woman about 70yrs old answered and I asked about the cars and if they might be for sale.
She said her husband wasn't home, but that he will never sell them and is going to fix them up some day.

She went on to say that their son died in 1982 and they parked his cars and covered them up.

You can see in the picture the covers have moss growing on them...no telling what they look like underneath. I'll probably stop buy again in the spring if it looks like the husband is home.

could be gold in them there covers

1 69 gto 4 speed
1 69 gto judge
1 75 ta
1 79 formula
1 80 formula
1 81 ta
1 89 formula
1 96 ta
1 66 mustang
1 84 mustang
1 89 25th anniv mustang convert
kaysersuzuki@yahoo.com
Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador-IV

When people say that all the great cars are gone, this is a prime example that they are probibly sill many undiscovered treasurers out there. Many of theme are here in this thread. Ya just need to look a little harder.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to superdawg

This is not a pontiac, but still a decent find.

A friend of mine was able to close the deal on this one and took it home. I thought he was crazy for paying 9 grand for it, but he began the restoration and then sold it in pieces and I guess he made a profit. This was about two years ago and the car had sat in the same place since 1975. It's a 64 vette, and had a bigblock hood on it, but it was not a bigblock car. I believe it was found near Nevada Missouri.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdawg
It's a 64 vette, and had a bigblock hood on it, but it was not a bigblock car. I believe it was found near Nevada Missouri.
I drive through Nevada once or twice a summer, and I've always noticed there are a lot of old cars and trucks sitting out in fields and back yards in that part of the country...guess I should look a little closer next time.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 AM

There is an exhaust shop in Woodstock that has a 1969 convertable GTO ram air IV 4 speed sitting behind it for years. I talked to the owner of the car, which is not the owner of the shop, but he is friends with the shop owner, and he lets the guy let it sit back there. It has no rear end under it, and it is just sitting on dirt. It is rusted to hell and back, and would probably crumble to pieces if somebody were to try and move it. It still has the original motor and tranny though, and when I asked if he would like to just sell the drivetrain, he looked at me like I was nuts. He asked me if I knew what it was that he had, and how much it would be worth if he "fixed her up". He said it was going to be one of those projects that takes some time to get the parts for, and the money to do right. That has been 6 years ago, and the car is still there, just in worse shape if thats possible.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 Charger Daytona

This car should have been in a barn. It would have fared alot better than sitting in the open field with a tarp over it for 22 years!

This 69 Charger Daytona is a factory red 440 auto. A frame off restoration is in the works. Not my car, and not for sale.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	daytona.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	80380   Click image for larger version

Name:	daytona2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	80381   Click image for larger version

Name:	daytona3.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	80382   Click image for larger version

Name:	daytona69a.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	80383   Click image for larger version

Name:	daytona69b.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	80384  

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to superdawg

Here's a 75 T/A I found while driving around at noon today! I don't know if I will try to contact the owner or not. It looks to be pretty far gone. It is a 400 automatic car. Front bumper is completely trashed and you can see how bad the rust is. It's the same on both sides. It has not been tagged since 1996.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BARON, Why don't you try to get the engine and trany... out of the car, buddy will still be able to look at the car ? Just a thought.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

he won't even think about the idea of getting rid of any of it

it's a shame
i'll try once a year or so, for the heck of it

i might go back in a few months and offer to put a tarp over it
#'s matching WS motor car....*sigh*

and i have a feeling that even if he did decide to sell it, he'd want a fortune
some people were supposedly offerring him a lot of $ 10 years or so ago, when there weren't holes in the body ...he'd probably think it was still worth that

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 02-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

how about a "dealer" find. This car has been at the local Olds dealer since I was a kid. Its a 442 W30, still on the original showroom floor, now turned into a storage. Next to it is a original 86 or 87 Olds 442.

Last edited by 455_regal; 02-11-2007 at 05:34 PM.