Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-31-2023, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65 with ram air - almost hydro locked after rain storm

Have never heard anyone speak of my experience, but I would guess, I'm not the first.
While at Springfield last month at GTOAA, the huge storm blew thru and hurt a lot of beautiful cars. After the storm, I walked out to see if and what damage the 65 had. Walked around several times seeing nothing but water. GREAT Others near me were not so lucky. Then a thought. Wonder how much water it would take thru the hood scoop to hydra-lock an engine? HUM? I hooked the battery up and climbed in. Cautiously, I bumped the starter quickly. Engine rotated a small amount. OK then again. OK The third time, no movement. Tried a little longer. No movement HECK.
I went looking for tools: spark plug socket, extension, ratchet. Lucky for me, the gentleman next to me came better prepared than I. Pulled the wires and removed the dr. side plugs. All good. Pulled wires and began removing the pass. side plugs. Number 2 cyl. started draining as soon as the plug was loose. Number 4 cyl. was full up the the plug threads. Number 6 and 8 were dry. I told a friend to stand close and watch to see what happens when I try to crank it again. No, not really. It spun like a top. A lot of water was expelled. I put all the plugs back in. Started it up and ran like a top. Normal, like nothing ever happened. Can't imagine what could have happened IF it had fired a couple time before locking up.
Just thought I would pass this along. For me, strange, interesting. Guess you just never know about our old cars, our hobby.

Mr. moderator, if you want to move to a more appropriate place, go right ahead.

"Bill"!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bill ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 10:47 PM

Good catch Mr Bill… glad it worked out good… hate some folks had serious damages there though

Old 07-31-2023, 11:05 PM

Did Hagerty attend the convention?

Old 08-01-2023, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With all of these types of storms we have had here like you described the wind had the rain going sideways at a very very shallow angle.

You just happened to be parked facing the right way for your scoop to act as a sewer drain.

On all of my TA’s that I have owned I have had the shaker/ scoop open and had driven it thru many a heavy rain fall without issue.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-01-2023, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago coming home from Norwalk in a rain storm. My friend Gary was driving his 68 RA GTO. I had my SD. We pulled over ckd air cleaner and used towels to plug the scoops on his.Then rain quit. Glad you caught it.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ugh! My 72 GT6 Triumph. Driving home from work after a rainstorm, over the railroad tracks and down into a huge puddle I didn't see & that was it. Water down the carbs and into the cylinders at about 2K rpm. What a mess. Got a good used 71 engine and insurance picked up most of the bill thank God.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 08-01-2023, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the public service announcement reminding everyone with a Ram Air pan to ensure that there are a pair of 1/4" drain holes in the pan around the filter element.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hgerhardt For This Useful Post: