Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only danger I see on the road is the other drivers. I have radial tires on both my 62 Lemans coupes and they both ride great and stop fine with their 4 wheel drum brakes.

I did see some guy was selling a rear sway bar for the 61-3 Tempest on eBay, has anyone tried it?

I too notice a stunning difference when I jump into my 96 Suburban, everyone stays outta my way

Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 PM

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...04161942.jpg/][/URL] Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[[/IMG]

here it is the a few weeks ago. when i bought it.
it is in the previous owners' work shop and i have to make the brakes and steering work to get it out.

here it is now

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

i believe it is a original 68k mile car. it has been in this work shop for 20 years.
the 326 is a freshly rebuilt.
once out of the work shop it is going directly to paint.
so all of the orange parts can be repainted the original blue.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 AM

the interior is dusty (saw dust) but intact. the carpets are faded and the driverside door panel is shot. everything else is in good condition.
the wiring in the picture is actually the engine harness.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 09-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most cars are designed to understeer at their limit.
The Tempest oversteers.

Understeer is easier to correct because you just lift off the gas and the front end comes back into line.

If you lift off the gas in an oversteering Tempest, the rear end will usually keep coming around.

Sometimes you cannot keep your foot in it due to traffic or the road ahead. And therein lies the problem.

If you want to experience the handling characteristics of these cars. Drive one fast through some turns in the rain. The slicker surface will make these characteristics appear sooner, at lower speeds.

Also, have a friend follow you and video record the front and rear axle of your car as you are doing this. That will make you a believer!

Old 09-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My required reading list "sticky" at the top of the 61-63 forum,,, Check out the last book, the Pontiac performance handbook. It has a very large Tempest suspension section with lots of pictures showing the handling issues associated with each model & what can be done to to help with the oversteer/ reverse camber problems.

POCI.org
Old 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM

Drove my '63 for over ten years as a daily driver. Only lost it twice. Just 4 words to remember: "off ramps" and "wet roads".

Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Can the Tempests be wailed through the turns with the outer axle tucked fully under, the way I used to drive an early (swing-axle) Corvair in Europe?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not really Jack. With the weight of the car, once its out of shape, its pretty hard to controll.

POCI.org
Old 09-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack,I think the tempest have a higher CG than the Corvairs and everyone knows they roll over in the driveway!LOL,Tom