Old 03-18-2024, 12:44 PM

Default What's it Worth...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204687124688

Good looking car in pictures. Very radical engine build for street. Aftermarket 18" wheels. After speaking to seller I did a google search and found this car was sold at a Mecum auction within the last six months. Seller stated (2) reasons for selling. One, engine is just to radical for his liking. Second, said he doesn't have adequate storage space.

So, this doesn't line up...it would stand to reason he would have been the buyer at the auction whether it was in person or via phone bid. But, knowing of the hopped up engine build and not having room in his stable for yet another car why then would he have raised his hand in the first place?

Btw, if you copy and paste the VIN google search...and scroll down and find Mecum auto auction you will find a video of the car running at idle. And yes, it's sounds wicked...for sure. Not even sure it would run on pump gas!

You say....

Old 03-23-2024, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a cool car. Not a fan of the 79-81 spoilers. The engine isn't wild at all. They just totally screwed up on the cam selection. Most likely a cam swap would take all the "unhappiness" out of the driveability and a muffler swap would put a big smile on the owners face.

PS..... The 4:10's would need to go.

PS .... PS that is not an Edelbrock Victor intake manifold. It's an Edelbrock Performer and it would be a great mate for the correct camshaft.

Last edited by PAUL K; 03-23-2024 at 10:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PAUL K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 07:07 AM

Hello Paul...so you think there is hope for this T/A. Btw, did you happen to see/hear a vid of this car running @ idle.? Seller added this to his ad. That Lunati cam is designed for bracket racing...why in the world someone build out a 406 like that. It's not even the more sought after 455 cid. What was the give away to spot the intake error? Yes, 4:10 gears swapped to say 3:73. I spoke with the owner which btw is 81 now and apparently has owned other T/A's in years past. He bought the car @ Mecum with the build sheet plainly displayed in the windshield. He had to have known what he was getting into.

To bad the the money spent on that engine wasn't a tad more on the streetable side.

FWIW, the back story is he took back to Mecum was offered 25K and turned it down. Now he is sitting on his hands @ 28K with the car sitting outside with a tarp over it. Go figure!

I never would have had that kind of luxury afforded to me.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Looks like a cool car. Not a fan of the 79-81 spoilers. The engine isn't wild at all. They just totally screwed up on the cam selection. Most likely a cam swap would take all the "unhappiness" out of the driveability and a muffler swap would put a big smile on the owners face.

PS..... The 4:10's would need to go.

PS .... PS that is not an Edelbrock Victor intake manifold. It's an Edelbrock Performer and it would be a great mate for the correct camshaft.
I agree. In a couple years 28k for this car will sound cheap. The 2nd gen TA's in my opinion are some of the cheapest most desirable cars currently available on the market. That's one reason I purchased my 75 4 speed last month.
Great driving cars. Lots of leg room too!

The Following User Says Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 09:21 AM

Skidmark - So, you think 28K is a fair number providing the undercarriage and no hidden sheetmetal issues that are not obvious from pics.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

easy stuff to fix but you sure couldnt build the car for 28k providing it looks as nice in person as it does in the pictures.

i agree on the spoilers look kinda weird. someone thats not a trans am guy would never notice.

engine could be fixed to be streetable in a few hours.

im not a fan of silver but i do like it with the red interior.

i personally dont like the aftermarket big diameter honeycombs. im sure im in the minority on this. one of my best friends put them on his 76 and i just dont like them. he loves them.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:40 PM

Not a fan of the aftermarket honeycombs either. I prefer the factory magnum 500 wheels with trim rings from the era. Not sure what name Pontiac gave them.

What is off regarding the spoilers. Wrong year...mis-aligned...etc.? I missed that cold.

Hard to believe someone hasn't taken it off his hands by now. Could it be the radical cam and choice of diff. gear that's scaring them off? Or, could it be something else.

I have the money he is asking, but with every deal in buying these classics the buyer wants to feel they got a little break @ the table as well.

You say...

Last edited by 14therode; 03-24-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sold

Old 03-24-2024, 02:27 PM

Well...that evens the playing field. Someone...just might get that old girl straightened out. I just didn't want it that bad. :>(

THANKS TO ALL...

The Following User Says Thank You to 14therode For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14therode View Post
Not a fan of the aftermarket honeycombs either. I prefer the factory magnum 500 wheels with trim rings from the era. Not sure what name Pontiac gave them.

What is off regarding the spoilers. Wrong year...mis-aligned...etc.? I missed that cold.

Hard to believe someone hasn't taken it off his hands by now. Could it be the radical cam and choice of diff. gear that's scaring them off? Or, could it be something else.

I have the money he is asking, but with every deal in buying these classics the buyer wants to feel they got a little break @ the table as well.

You say...
the spoilers are the 79-81 design

Old 03-24-2024, 03:45 PM

So the front air dams and ground effects were not period correct to the car.? Is that what you are conveying?

Old 03-24-2024, 05:19 PM

I found a post on here that goes into detail of the differences. I understand now. WOW would have never caught that one. You guys are the BEST!

Old 03-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Senior Chief

A stick and a cool looking Pontiac for mid to upper $20k range? Cheap in the big picture

The Following User Says Thank You to 65madgoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 02:20 AM

Yeah, I let that one get away. I stepped right up to the line 4 days ago even spoke with the seller, but my conscious held me back. And so it goes...

Old 03-25-2024, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With 15” tires getting more rare, the rims are prob what we will have to do.
Engine does sound pretty wicked, my buddy Z has a 4:11. It works
Don’t like the 79 flares or the speakers cut in the council

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 05:17 AM

This particular T/A had (one) to many Day2 features. Again zero pics of undercarriage always suspect.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

More like Day 14,000!

Read a few of its earlier sales listings, screams thrown together.
Disagree with too many of above comments, there are much better places in a 70's vintage Pontiac to put ones hard earned $$$$$.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like the car has been relisted.

That could be good or bad.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:02 AM

Odd turn of events no doubt.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:09 AM

Seller states ebay buyer "Bid" then backed out. Again strange because the car is listed as a "Buy it Now" item.