Old 08-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I took a little ride out to the Cleveland area and picked up some more goodies for my '67 GP convertible project. As I was chewing the fat with the gent I bought the parts from he mentioned he had a set of long fin 8-lugs for the later model full size Pontiacs. After looking over the set and checking to see that there was still some linings left I bought them for a very fair price. Now I need to figure a few things out.

1) Where is the best place to get a set of center caps and trim rings. Nice used units would be good. Are the rings specific to the 8 lug wheels or are they the same as the 14" Rally rings.

2) How are these supposed to be finished? What finishes/colors are used on the hubs, fins, and rims?

Thanks in advance,
-harry

1967 Grand Prix Convertible Project

Old 08-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I took a little ride out to the Cleveland area and picked up some more goodies for my '67 GP convertible project. As I was chewing the fat with the gent I bought the parts from he mentioned he had a set of long fin 8-lugs for the later model full size Pontiacs. After looking over the set and checking to see that there was still some linings left I bought them for a very fair price. Now I need to figure a few things out.

1) Where is the best place to get a set of center caps and trim rings. Nice used units would be good. Are the rings specific to the 8 lug wheels or are they the same as the 14" Rally rings.

2) How are these supposed to be finished? What finishes/colors are used on the hubs, fins, and rims?

Thanks in advance,
-harry

1967 Grand Prix Convertible Project

Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Coach,
Don't know if you still need help here, but I'll check in with some opinions.
1) The 8-lig trim rings were specific to that wheel. Repop trim rings were available for awhile. Don't know the application or the current availability. Check PY to see what they might still carry. Center caps are strictly a used-market item. Ebay, Smoke Signals, Hemmings, or swap meets.
2) I restored a '67 GP convert several years ago and during the process restored a set of 8-lugs. I bead blasted the hubs, painted the entire center section face a high temp black. Then, with a hand drill, I polished the flats of the fins with a 6" diameter 120 grit stick-it paper on a sanding pad. The rims were refinished in black.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:40 AM

65-68 8-lug center caps are now reproduced along with the trim rings and lug nuts

Old 03-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've seen the trim rings, do you know who is distributing the center caps? I recently picked up a set that I was going to straighten and polish, but it might be more cost effective to replace them.

Thanks,
-harry