Old 10-03-2010, 09:30 AM

Default 62 instrument cluster housing

Mine is a little warped from what i assume is heat damage from over all these years sitting in the sun. I am curious if it would be possible to heat the plastic up a bit with a small propane torch, like a plumber would use to solder pipes together, and reshape the housing back to its previous glory, or will the additional heat destroy the plastic?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plastic is so old & thin. Leave well enough alone. You will only make it worse!!

Both of the cluster housings on my 61's are aluminum. I think it was about mid year 62 when they switched to plastic.

POCI.org
Old 10-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default may not be warped

I thought similiar thoughts when I first had my '62. The warp look may be part of the design. Little dip on right upper, and smaller dip on left, high in center? Not matching the window trim of the windshield? These housings have a tendency to disintegrate into little splinters before warping. Yours may be warped as you know your car better than the rest of us, but doubt it is warped.

I haven't had luck repairing these plastic housings and haven't tried since I learned the '61's have metal housings, which is how I realized the plastic one I had wasn't warped. Only difference on '61 is the two spears on top portion are not there. I have noticed that some '62 wagon's have correct metal housings as well. I now have three metal cluster housings and all share the same form.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 PM

So quit hording all those and give me a price you would be looking to get for one of the three and i will even give you my warped plastic one.

I hear you keith. Thats why i asked before warming up the torch.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default I'll dig

Well, being that all but two of my 4 Tempests are from Arizona, I need the three metal ones for my drivers. I'll see if I have a spare the next time I dig in storage.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway