Old 06-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '61/'62 Tempest/LeMans Model car kits

I'm looking for a kit to play with. Was there ever any 61/62 2 door kits out there? I have a '61/'62 Olds F-85 kit that is very close but the front end is different enough to make it less desirable. I tried E-Bay but found nothing. But I've always had difficulty asking the right search words so my search does not mean there are none on it. I was hoping either someone here knows of a manufacturer that would help the search or off hand if anyone had a kit that they would not mind parting with. I would be changing it up quite a bit so I don't want to use a classic kit. Thanks for your help guys.

Mark L

Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

AMT made 62 coupe and convertable kits. They are hard to find and get. You gotta keep looking daily. I bought a few built models and modified them. Also got a conv. and coupe unbuilt still in boxes, but they cost me over $40 each.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or $189.90 today http://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/amt-k-6022.htm

Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So they were made and possibly out there, just very scarce. Maybe I'll just do my work on the F-85 model I have. It is so close there will be very little difference. One idea is to graft on a 3rd Gen front end from the firewall forward, so that would take care of the front grille difference. The rest of the F-85 is so close it really will not make much difference. My other idea is to make an IMSA type body style out of it. With all of the widened body panels etc. If I were to take the concept over to a real car. I could incorporate a later full frame under the Tempest. The bigger frame would work with the wider track of the race car look. Just playing around.
Thank you guys for chiming in.

Mark

Old 06-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have only seen 61's in a 4 door.

I have a 62 coupe that needs work I will sell cheap if you are interested. PM me.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello Gary. You have a PM.

Mark

Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, please don't hate me for this call out but. Guys, Gary is sending me a partial '62 model on his dime. This is why I like the Pontiac community. So many of you guys like Gary and Keith Collier, and so many of you guys here, give so much of your time, stuff, and knowledge it's unbelievable.
A big warm thank you Gary for your generosity. It makes me proud to be a part of the Pontiac crowd.

Mark L

Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM

I bought an assembled unpainted kit from ebay. I dismantled it and painted. The front grill was missing and the chrome on bumpers was junk. I got reproduction grill and bumpers from a company called Modelhaus. The wide whitewall tires came from a local hobby shop. I painted the black on grill and wheel covers with a brush and then used a Q-tip with a little paint thinner to remove paint from high areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempest model 030.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	367958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempest model 049.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	367959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempest model 054.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	367960  

Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work! & photos

Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks Carl! I built this model to replace the dealer promo that I display at shows. The hood doesn't open on the promo. I took the pictures laying on the ground in my backyard.