Old 02-27-2020, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default any tips on how to install my motors mounts

need to changes out my motor mounts on my 72 formula .seems to be a pain in the ass with the suspension still on any tips

Old 02-27-2020, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
need to changes out my motor mounts on my 72 formula .seems to be a pain in the ass with the suspension still on any tips
You want to change the mounting plates that are bolted to the subframe? Are you changing the engine from Pontiac to something else?

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 02-27-2020, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience is that a swivel socket (usually 9/16, if the bolts are USS, 15MM on metric bolts) on a long 3/8 extension will usually get on the nuts inside of the front crossmember. Usually just using a 3/8 swivel joint with a regular socket attached may not get you enough angle, you should try to have a swivel socket of the correct size, with the universal made into it. Socket pictured below:

If you can't get on the nuts through the lower control arm mounting holes with a swivel and extension. I have used a large step drill to make holes large enough for the swivel socket to fit through. The crossmember is plenty strong enough that a hole on both sides of the crossmember won't have any effect.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-27-2020, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
My experience is that a swivel socket (usually 9/16, if the bolts are USS, 15MM on metric bolts) on a long 3/8 extension will usually get on the nuts inside of the front crossmember. Usually just using a 3/8 swivel joint with a regular socket attached may not get you enough angle, you should try to have a swivel socket of the correct size, with the universal made into it. Socket pictured below:

If you can't get on the nuts through the lower control arm mounting holes with a swivel and extension. I have used a large step drill to make holes large enough for the swivel socket to fit through. The crossmember is plenty strong enough that a hole on both sides of the crossmember won't have any effect.
do you mean thru the side of the cross member

Old 02-27-2020, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tas4me View Post
You want to change the mounting plates that are bolted to the subframe? Are you changing the engine from Pontiac to something else?
no the p.o i think had a chevy in it but i want to put back the original engine , which he kept. the motor mount were altered and i need to go back to the original type

Old 02-27-2020, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
do you mean thru the side of the cross member
Bottom, roughly a 3/4 inch hole will allow the swivel socket to be inserted into the crossmember with a long extension. I had to do this to change the mounts on an 84 cutlass without removing the lower control arms. Changeover from diesel to gas engine.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-28-2020, 12:26 PM

Swivel socket with long extension. If not a "correct" restoration I replace the bolts with locking nuts/bolts which makes installation by myself much easier. Once the nuts are started you don't need tools up inside the frame anymore.