Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-20-2019, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Chattering clutch

Hello as you all know from my previous post that my 1967 GTO has been suffering from clutch chatter for over a year now. Everything that could be changed has been changed more than once. This included new flywheel, complete clutch kit, new trans mounts new cross member etc etc. you get the picture. Recently the engine was rebuilt and one again all new clutch related items replaced. At times it seems like the problem has been solved only to start chattering a few days later. I am now thinking that maybe oil may be the problem. There is an oil leak, yes even after the engine rebuilt,. The oil seems to come down on the drivers side and gets on the underside of the starter and then shows up on the exhaust pipe under the starter and even drips off of the lower transmission case. I can not seem to fine the source of this leak. I have changed the valve cover gasket twice and am sure it is not leaking. When the car in on the hoist I can see the oil under the car but can not see where it is coming from. Please don't suggest taking it back to where the engine was rebuilt because it has spent 4 months there trying to get the chatter to stop and they are really tired of my car. They do not want to see it again. They say they have done all they can so they have given up. So does anyone out there have an idea where oil may be leaking from? Also is it possible that this oil could some how finds it's way onto the clutch? The fork boot is new and it does not look like the rear main seal is leaking. By this I mean that you can not see any oil marking running down the rear of the oil pan. I am really stumped with this problem.

Thanks for any and all help
alan

Old 08-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a plug near the distrib. base which is an oil galley plug. It can be removed and used to plumb an oil pressure gauge into. It is possible the plug may be slightly loose or not seated enough if it was ever removed for engine rebuilding or used for an oil gauge.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAQuest For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I doubt the oil is getting into the bellhousing, if it is, the inside of the bell will have oil slung around 360*. Oil soaked clutch lining doesn't clean itself.

Does the clutch slip under full throttle heavy load??
.. like pulling a steep hill in a too high a gear?

Old 08-20-2019, 12:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike
Default chatter

Make sure it's not coming from the front of the transmission. Use some dye?

Old 08-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITYFIREBIRD View Post
I doubt the oil is getting into the bellhousing, if it is, the inside of the bell will have oil slung around 360*. Oil soaked clutch lining doesn't clean itself.

Does the clutch slip under full throttle heavy load??
.. like pulling a steep hill in a too high a gear?
No it only happens the worst when letting out the clutch in reverse and it also happens when doing the same in 1st gear. Sometimes you can feel it a little when you let out the clutch going into 2nd gear. It seems that the clinking/chatter noise is loudest when you are pushing in the clutch after going in reverse or forward. I mean you can let out the clutch slow enough to get the car moving backwards but when you push in the clutch to like stop that is when you really get the clinking/chattering noise. I mean it is really loud. It is embarrassing at a car show when you are trying to park the car, it is that loud.

thanks again
alan

Old 08-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 421mike View Post
Make sure it's not coming from the front of the transmission. Use some dye?
The oil is not coming from the front of the trans because it is on the bottom of the starter also. It is not the valve cover gasket. It can also be seen on the exhaust pipe under the starter when it drips, runs and burns off.
thanks
alan

Old 08-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmay0 View Post
No it only happens the worst when letting out the clutch in reverse and it also happens when doing the same in 1st gear. Sometimes you can feel it a little when you let out the clutch going into 2nd gear. It seems that the clinking/chatter noise is loudest when you are pushing in the clutch after going in reverse or forward. I mean you can let out the clutch slow enough to get the car moving backwards but when you push in the clutch to like stop that is when you really get the clinking/chattering noise. I mean it is really loud. It is embarrassing at a car show when you are trying to park the car, it is that loud.

thanks again
alan
alan,
Make sure your driveshaft is in the trans far enough. If it's not in the bushing far enough it can make some chatter.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQuest View Post
There is a plug near the distrib. base which is an oil galley plug. It can be removed and used to plumb an oil pressure gauge into. It is possible the plug may be slightly loose or not seated enough if it was ever removed for engine rebuilding or used for an oil gauge.
I am aware of this plug because I have an oil line connected to it for my under dash oil pressure gauge. It is not the source of the leak.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Valley pan leak, at the corners most likely. Or possibly valve covers. Maybe the distributor gasket. Those are the most common places leaks occur.

Should have kept going on the other thread, so we are aware of what's already been tried/checked, and not have to ask again.

Rear suspension in order?
Good shocks? (not old, or cheap units).
Trans and engine mounts?
Crossmember correctly installed?
Differential gears in good order?
Body bushings?
Trans slip yoke proper clearance/driveshaft length correct?
Header/exhaust too close to body, frame, or etc?
Flywheel properly checked, runout, surface finish, installed clean?
Pilot bearing/bushing correctly installed, not damaged?
Bellhousing alignment?
Trans alignment?
Trans hitting floorboard/tunnel? Witness marks?
Trans in good condition, bearings, mainshaft, etc?
Clutch linkage good, not worn, operates smoothly?

Explain the chatter, does it should like something banging, do you feel it in the pedal, you say it's only in reverse? Usually, if it's in reverse, it's a trans or engine mount, or worn rear suspension bushings.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be