THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up I just got a Primeweld 60 amp plasma cutter

I just got a 60 amp Primeweld plasma cutter this afternoon from Amazon, can't believe I waited so long to purchase one. I have wanted one since I saw one in action close to 40 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/PRIMEWELD-Non...s%2C188&sr=8-4

It's so much better than using a oxy-acetylene torch. Tried it out on 1/4 inch rusty frame section, and it cut just fine even with all the scale on the metal. I then cut up an old license plate so from heavy frame to sheet metal it does great.

It also has a connection to use the torch on a plasma water table to cut parts from plate using a lap top to guide the torch, probably not going to use that feature, but who knows...............

I have some frame modifications to do to my IH wrecker and am looking forward to use it to do the necessary fab work to relocate the panhard linkage from behind the rear axle to in front of it so the wheel lift has enough clearance to operate.

So far I really like the new toy. ................LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-02-2020, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Plasma cutter

I bought one a few years ago, it is a neat tool to have!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weldingcart 003.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	528055   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldingcart 004.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	528056  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That’s a sweet machine Brad! Had my eye on same unit. Primeweld has some nice multiprocess welders and their Tig 225 (really all the equipment they sell) has great reviews in the welding forums I frequent. If I recall they’re out of New Jersey and they stand behind the products. Great choice and congrats.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
That’s a sweet machine! Had my eye on same unit. Primeweld has some nice multiprocess welders and their Tig 225 (really all the equipment they sell) has great reviews in the welding forums I frequent. If I recall they’re out of New Jersey and they stand behind the products. Great choice and congrats.
I did a lot of research before plunking down the money and found that just as you said, the company has a good reputation for good products, and standing behind the product. They also have a 24/7 helpline for customers. Even though it's made off shore it has a 3 year warranty with it, not common for most china made welding and cutting machines. They are located in Cherry Hill NJ.

I actually purchased a 45 Amp Titanium torch from HF last week, but I never opened it. Upon doing more research the Primeweld machine had a 3 year warranty/ compared to 90 days for Titanium, was $100 less and 15 amps more power. Returned the HF and purchased this unit from Amazon.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-02-2020, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Relative nearby plasma-cuts for his day-job.

What do those units Posted cost?

Old 01-02-2020, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark, my link is to Amazon, price is in the ad.

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 03:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a Miller plasma cutter about ten years ago. I don't use it very often, but when I do it's a lifesaver. Occasionally I'll get a job that requires cutting hundreds of feet of 16ga steel .... easily done in an afternoon.

They do however leave a nasty hard edge of iron-oxide which can be a pain to grind off if the sections have to be welded ... but then a torch leaves the same thing and is much more of a pain to use.

I've found they are not as useful as I thought it would be ... however when they are useful, they are VERY useful.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dry air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I just got a 60 amp Primeweld plasma cutter this afternoon from Amazon, can't believe I waited so long to purchase one. I have wanted one since I saw one in action close to 40 years ago.

It's so much better than using a oxy-acetylene torch. Tried it out on 1/4 inch rusty frame section, and it cut just fine even with all the scale on the metal. I then cut up an old license plate so from heavy frame to sheet metal it does great.

It also has a connection to use the torch on a plasma water table to cut parts from plate using a lap top to guide the torch, probably not going to use that feature, but who knows...............

I have some frame modifications to do to my IH wrecker and am looking forward to use it to do the necessary fab work to relocate the panhard linkage from behind the rear axle to in front of it so the wheel lift has enough clearance to operate.

So far I really like the new toy. ................LOL
If you look at my first pic you'll notice a desiccant filter. You'll want to make sure the air going to it is as dry as possible. I bought my Plasma cutter off CL and it came with it.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
If you look at my first pic you'll notice a desiccant filter. You'll want to make sure the air going to it is as dry as possible. I bought my Plasma cutter off CL and it came with it.
i'll be using the Motor Guard compressed air filter on the unit, takes out water as well as oil.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-03-2020, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I bought a Miller plasma cutter about ten years ago. I don't use it very often, but when I do it's a lifesaver. Occasionally I'll get a job that requires cutting hundreds of feet of 16ga steel .... easily done in an afternoon.

They do however leave a nasty hard edge of iron-oxide which can be a pain to grind off if the sections have to be welded ... but then a torch leaves the same thing and is much more of a pain to use.

I've found they are not as useful as I thought it would be ... however when they are useful, they are VERY useful.
100% agree. Near 20 years ago, helped my brother pick out a nice HyperTherm plasma cutter. He's used it a couple dozen times, I've used it several times, usually on car frames, occasionally on structural steel (non automotive). For high-end automotive sheetmetal, have other weapons at hand that work better.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I thought it would be good for careful dissection of panels for patches, but the oxide edge requires too much attention and to be honest it's too easy to make a quick error on thin panel with a plasma torch ... so I find a cut-off wheel to be better.

I think the bread and butter work for a plasma torch is cutting 16ga through 1/8" sheet for large projects. 16ga starts to become a pain with an electric shear and 1/8" is in that limbo between tool cutting or flame cutting ... perfect for plasma.

I've used mine mostly for fabrication of larger projects like blasting cabinets, large metal doors, hoppers, shields/guards etc. Originally the idea of lopping off chunks of 1/4 plate seemed attractive ... till I realized how rarely I do that, and when I do I need nice perfectly straight, clean edges because most likely it's going into some kind of welded structure .... band saw ends up doing that kind of work.

But, worthwhile tool to have. Unless you have a production shop .... better to get an off brand, or a used name brand rather than dropping the coin for a new one .... like I did