THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default HELMET

Hello all ,have a question to the welders out there.
I’m in need of a decent auto darkening helmet . Not looking to spend a fortune but I don’t like to cheap out on stuff either.
Any recommendations?, experiences.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Lincoln, and it seems to work fine. It recharges with a solar cell.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-07-2020, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For MIG or TIG? Read up on helmets, as TIG approved helmets are a different breed. Don't use a MIG only helmet for TIG welding.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/Antra-AH6-260...%2C175&sr=8-16 for a couple years now. I had a HF before I bought the Antra, and the Antra was a much better purchase dollar for dollar.

I use mine for MIG and stick welding, nice thing is the shade is adjustable for either process. The lightest adjustment can also be used for oxy/acetylene welding, or cutting. It also has a non darkening setting for grinding.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-07-2020, 04:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a Speed Glas that I got free when the company shut down. They are not cheap though. Hit your local swap meets. I bought another Speed Glas for $75. and it was nearly new.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:38 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the replies. I have a multi process Miller . It is capable of Mig / Tig / Stick.
My issue is when I’m trying to tig. The Lincoln just doesn’t have the quick response and a little to light to see a puddle.
Mig isn’t a real issue can get by but the helmet is not performing.
Just doing some research...the speed glass has great reviews.
Looking around and prices range from 50—500. I’m not doing this everyday but I try to buy quality. Going to hit some local shops today see what’s out there..

Last edited by Torquewar; 01-07-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 AM
Senior Chief

We picked up a Miller Infinity at PRI with a show discount, for my son who is attending the career center for welding. He works after school as a welder at a manufacturing facility. The helmet makes one hell of a difference. He showed me the significant difference in his weld quality when he changed helmets. (His welds went from good to amazing)

The correct tool for the job, absolutely. The helmet is expensive. But since he's making a career of it, I saw it as a good investment in his future. A hobbyist definitely has a different set of requirements.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 01-07-2020, 12:38 PM
Senior Chief

Great your son is taking a job path in welding , over the years met some really talented individuals..
I will inquire about the unit you mentioned.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Believe it or not, I have not had any issues with my HF Auto Darkening helmet other than one of the plastic pivot pieces broke. It is the one with the red tribal designs on it & I have had it for at least 5 years. It has both darkness & timer adjustments.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 01-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a Jackson that I like. It was like $120 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 01-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using a Lincoln for 30 years now, usually update every ten years or so. Right now using the Viking 3350 .. about $250 (Amazon), will do everything you need. Replacement parts readily available.

Fine for MIG, TIG, Gas, Stick, HF TIG etc. auto-on/off so you never have to worry about turning it off.

My wife even has one.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:32 PM
Senior Chief

Well it was a day of stops at local weld supply shops. Learned lots and one shop let me take a unit home.
Used a Lincoln with the big view lens. Fantastic pice and it will activate Down to 5 amp start up. Great for tig .
Miller has there Elite series which is equal.
The 3m Speed glass is really pricey but funny how all 3 shops who sell them didn’t really push them. The ESAB is nice but warranty can be a chore when needed.
The price point on all the better units are 350 plus.
So will do some more research but in the end u get what you pay for.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time I buy a new helmet I'm excited ... but within a week it's just another tool. Which means you just want to pick it up and have it work.

I'd say the glass is important, but probably more important is how quick it goes on your head, how well it fits, how easy it goes up, stays up, goes down. How well the tension adjustment for the up/down work, how easy it is to get the glass unit out for cleaning, changing protective shield, batteries etc.

Since I have a general fab shop ... often I just need to grab the helmet and make a few quick welds, then grab it again etc. So how easy it is to put on and use is a factor.

Like most my usual focus is the technology of the glass, and how cool it is to look through a perfect new window with bells and whistles ... but it always ends up .. how fast can I throw it on my head, how well does it go up and down, and how well it fits and stays put.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:54 AM

I bought this one a couple of years ago.
https://store.cyberweld.com/jababh3audaw.html
I've been happy with it. I like that the tint isn't green like all other welding helmets. Also no battery to worry about going dead. The price has gone up considerably since I bought mine.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 30+ year old Jackson finally died so I pick up one of these https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5W...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and love it!

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 01-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought one of these, but haven't used it yet- it looks promising, from a being-able-to-actually-see point of view. LOL

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-la...show_reviews=1

Old 01-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been thinking about one of the Jackson helmets myself, would like to try out the different color.

My Lincoln has battery and solar ... something to keep in mind. If you do close quarters welding I've had situations on some solar only helmets where the panel is shadowed from the welding by an obstruction and the helmet doesn't function right, that's why I like having a battery too. Also the sensor needs to be as close to the edge of the viewing glass as possible to keep it from getting shadowed.

Some helmets use the solar panels as sensors, some have IR sensors, some have both. My Lincoln has IR sensors ... which work well, but sometimes can be a pain as they can be triggered by large weld puddles when there isn't actually an arc, it's also triggered by light intensity.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
We picked up a Miller Infinity at PRI with a show discount, for my son who is attending the career center for welding. He works after school as a welder at a manufacturing facility. The helmet makes one hell of a difference. He showed me the significant difference in his weld quality when he changed helmets. (His welds went from good to amazing)

The correct tool for the job, absolutely. The helmet is expensive. But since he's making a career of it, I saw it as a good investment in his future. A hobbyist definitely has a different set of requirements.
Bumping this thread back to the top with a couple of comments:

Mr. Anonymous' son worked on our funny car team. Hard worker with a great skilled trade.......the world is at his feet.

I have an auto darkening helmet that I got at Rural King. It's a cheapy but does a very adequate job for my "once a year, patch a broken piece of crap back together with a Lincoln buzz box" jobs.

FWIW,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 12-26-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an older Hobart hood #7704445 Never really liked it. Works fine for heavy stuff, but sheet metal Tig welding you can just make out the work you are welding on even at the lightest setting. Can see the puddle fine, but where I am taking it, not so much. Seems like it might have gotten worse over the years, or its my vision. Maybe both. I also need cheaters now when I weld, so that probably doesn't help. This thread reminds me I need to order something new.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-26-2021, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As an absolute novice...... Just bought my first MIG welder as a Christmas present to myself. I estimate I may use 1 2 lb spool of wire through it a year. So not using it on a daily basis, probably more like 1 time every 2 weeks to stick rusty crap together on my customer's cars. I bought a HF auto darkening helmet that was on a Christmas sale for $40.00. It's cheap material and very light weight. But it has adjustments for a nice fit to my head and it seems to work just as advertised. Darkens quickly, and the amount of darkening is adjustable. Seems to be good for the occasional user like me.