THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Kidney Stones

I didn't want the shoulder surgery thread to veer to far off course, so I started this thread.
I, too, have kidney stones troubles. The first one, about 15 years ago was the scariest. I peed red, no pain. That is also a major sign of prostate cancer. At the moment, I thought I had less than a year left. Turned out it was a stone. My urologist said there were two types of stone composition. One is a smooth stone, the other is a rough, thistle like stone. Even a small rough stone will tear up the ureter on the way through, with or without pain. I had the rough stone. Large enough to cause bleeding and get stuck, small enough to not to cause pain. General anesthetic so the doc could go in and get it.
I still had another larger stone in a kidney, so I was sent out of town for the lithotripsy procedure. Shock waves to break up the stone. 45 min procedure. Unfortunately the pain killer prior and during the procedure was missed. After 5 minutes I was ready to jump off the table. When I found out about the pain killer I was ready to strangle someone.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 01-16-2020, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could write a book.

I passed my 1st one in my 40's and had NO IDEA what it was. I left the house on a gurney. Before that, I'd only heard of them and nobody in my family had had one. I'm working hard to make up for that. My stones are called oxalate. Basically, anything I like to eat can cause a stone. Green leafy stuff. Peanuts. Chocolate. Iced tea. Beef. I try to keep them beat back with as much citric acid as possible, water and right here I should add that I eat right, but, I don't. I'm not a huge fan of tea, but my favorite snack is Peanut M&M's and if not those, lightly salted peanuts.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW; an un-cited bogus research paper claims that soda and gatorade promotes KS whereas beer mitigates KS.

I dont drink soda nor gatorade, & i drink more beer than i should; no such stones, nor hint of stones.

La Croix will cause my left kidney to hurt after a sorte of canned drinks. That is the only clue i gots. Getting scared of La Criox, but i really like the taste.

---> You notice these things when you have to swing a 16 Lb Bowling ball competitively. A hurt kidney will get your attention real quick. Been taking beer to the Alley to keep my "Average" going but you all know that is a fools erand.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My first stone was in 2015. Pain increased over the course of 4 hours. Thought it was appendicitis Went the the ER, CT scan, kidney stone. They gave me stuff, went home, passed it 2 days later with no issue.

Fast forward 2 years..2017. I need a FAA medical every 2 years so the doc says where's the proof you passed the stone? I have it i say. Not good enuf he says. Take Xray....first stone gone, stone on other kidney. Did lithotripsy (with meds!).

2 weeks later i feel poorly in the abdomen. Go to the urologist. Took CT scan, he says no stone. I went home and the urologist office called and the radiologist says no stone, but I have appendicitis!

Had Appendectomy on evening of Dec 23...Merry Christmas!

Fast forward to 2019...time for the FAA medical...urologist took an X-ray...no stones!

George

Old 01-16-2020, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have kidney stones (THANK GOD!) but my dad did and my nephew does. Dad had so much scar tissue in his ureters that the doc had to feed sharpened stainless steel wire up his urethra, into his bladder and then into each ureter to scrape out all the adhesions. This was done WITHOUT anesthesia under a fluoroscope. Our family doc 's remedy for kidney stones: one draft beer per day. Whenever Dad began to notice his urination beginning to change, the beer came out. My nephew started having problems with kidney stones as a child. Cranberry juice helped some, but after he enlisted in the Corps they began to get worse. His Navy doc told him to start drinking beer regularly. He has been drinking beer regularly ever since with little problems from kidney stones.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm 63 and never had a KS. I do drink a large glass of OJ everyday.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-16-2020, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't have KS either when I was 63.... Sounds like changing to beer is the ticket...need to change my habits.

George

Old 01-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Senior Chief

I had my first one last year. They are supposedly brought on by a lack of sufficient water intake, and ergo more common in summer, according to the doc that checked me out. Mine came on, not surprisingly, after spending the weekend working on a particular white funny car at a particular Pontiac event in Ohio. The "back spasms" I had each night after leaving the track weren't back spasms, it was the stone moving. But the onset the following Monday at precisely 4:34 am made me think I was dying. My wife was terrified, because I asked for all the things I don't particularly do, which is "Take me to the hospital", "will you please drive", and "won't this f******g car go any faster". Well, that last one isn't as uncommon I suppose. Doc said you're on three good drugs now, go home, and when it feels like your right ball is on fire, its coming out". Truer words never spoken. A light nap, followed by
the split second onset of testicular combustion, a piss event unlike any other, followed by a three narcotic 6 hour nap. I woke up a new man. Said man is still having occasional kidney pain now.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, my doc pounds “drink more” into my head every time, but honest to God, to drink enough fluid I personally believe I’d just have to set up my desk by a urinal.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My urologist said the same thing as David said. Most green veggies and nuts have oxalates in it. So does coffee. Drink lots of water. (Then pee lots!) My second one I went into shock. By the time I found a hospital (I was vacationing) I felt ok, but still went in. The next one (last year) the pain was so bad I was puking. I still have stones in my kidneys. Not looking forward to them moving.
I mentioned the KS while seeing my GI doctor and he suggested lemon (citric) water. He didn't say drink beer as alcohol is bad, very bad.
Looks like I am going to start drinking beer again; in addition to the heart healthy wine I drink.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following User Says Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ive had 16 different episodes with kidney stones. brutal they are. I had the first one at 28 years old. the dr. was asking all the do you do this and that questions and he asked if I drank pop which I replied yes mountain dew and probably 3 or 4 a day. he closed his folder and said quit drinking mountain dew and you will probably not have another. well after about 15 years and 15 stones later I quit drinking mountain dew and haven't had another since.

The Following User Says Thank You to muscle_collector For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've broken both shoulder blades, collar bone, ribs, ankle, tib and fib (leg bent backwards at the knee) and a few other injuries but nothing like a KS. I was begging for pain meds.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 01-17-2020, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You'all know im damn angry for Doctors NOT telling us non-doctors how to PREVENT anything. Most of us are "highly-educated folks in other fields", and would rely on those Medicals in-the-know to INFORM us of their studies.

Pretty bad when we have to develop data from soda folks, OJ folks, lemon-water fooolery, and daily beer folks on a hobby website to reveal a CAUSALITY & the PREVENTIONs.

I suspect that meat-eating + soda drinking = the ionic juices that promote a slurry for stone-forming stalag-bolders in the kidney webs.

Random thought; Think i'm blessed for likely having a dual ureter from at least 1 kidney, as it works like a dual exhaust into the bladder. Yet i dunno. Small perecent of us have a double-straw from a kidney-to-bladder; usually the right-side.

Sore type #1; KS stone(s) gotta get out of the Kidney.
Pain type #1; KS gotta pass to the bladder
Pain type #2; KS finds bladder exit and travels the Main ureter
Pain type #3; KS gotta get past our throttle body (probably every man's focused fear)
Pain type #4; KS gotta reach the light at the end of the tunnel (exit the pipe).
Blood pressure goes down upon hearing a clinking noise.

I made this up, but it has to be close to reality.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's hard not to LOL at some of these stories. I've had a several myself. The last one was 12 MM.
But I drink all the water I can, soon as the ice melts in my "Misty Coke". (Canadian Mist )

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 01-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

12mm??????????? that's half-inch!

George

Old 01-17-2020, 01:15 PM

Try having a 10 Lb. baby

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
12mm??????????? that's half-inch. George
To be clear, that's not me. Thatsa somebody else.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
12mm??????????? that's half-inch!

George
Yes it is. Ultrasound dissolved it.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 01-17-2020, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, bigger is not better in all things. They shattered a 10mm one in me and took out a 6mm one while they were at it. I pee'd out the last of the remains one month later at my sons high school baseball game. A nice square chunk.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Try having a 10 Lb. baby
Know that hurts cause my wife nearly broke my hand both times lol.
But men don't dilate before or during the process...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100