THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

Default Which hydraulic car jack to buy

Looking for feedback on this.prices are all over the place from 50 to 500.what are you happy with?this is for personal use only to changes rims on second gen cars.thanks

Old 01-02-2020, 09:46 PM
Senior Chief

I’ve had good luck with my Harbor Freight Jacks. 11/2 ton and 3 ton. I’m not a big HF fan but the jacks have served me well.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I love my Harbor Freight Aluminum jack. Light and easy to handle. Just used it tonight on the wife’s Charger which is no light car

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Several years back, I bought an ARCAN 3 1/2-Ton Low-Profile Professional Service Floor Jack — Model# XL35B from Northern Tool for around $150. It is a 3 1/2 ton low profile jack with a 21" lift. I use it on a 2500 4x4 Suburban and various cars. Northern Tool has it on sale for $150 right now, and they sent out $20 off $100 order coupons.

It is overkill for what I need. The odd thing is the 2 ton and the 3 1/2 ton jacks were the same price at the time. It has been very reliable over about five years of ownership.

My jack is stored inside a car trailer or in the back of my Suburban at all times. My son bought the same jack, which rides around in the back of his truck most of the time. It still works fine, hasn't lost any oil.

The only thing I don't like about my jack is the weight. It is heavy. The Northern Tool website lists the weight of the 3 1/2 ton model at 98.8 lbs and the 2 ton at 67.2 lbs.

Northern Tool has ARCAN 3-ton aluminum jacks for $227 and a 2-ton steel jack for $100 (on sale now) with an 18 1/2" lift. The 2-ton is a steal, and at some point I will buy an aluminum jack because the one I currently have is too heavy.

I have always had two jacks on hand so I can lift the front and rear at the same time when rotating tires. Prior to buying the ARCAN, I had a fairly heavy duty NAPA jack that lasted close to thirty years and a variety of lighter jacks that I bought at places like Sams Club. The Sams Club jack has lasted a long time as well. When the NAPA jack died, I bought a Harbor Freight jack, but it only lasted a couple of years. One of my friends is a mechanic, and his shop uses ARCAN.

Last edited by poncho-mike; 01-02-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.amazon.com/Arcan-Profess...8016199&sr=8-2

I have one of these for about 7 years, tough as nails, lifts everything I own. I've never added any oil and of course no drips.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That 3 ton aluminum Arcan looks like a pretty good deal

Old 01-03-2020, 03:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After going through a few cheap jacks I got that yellow "Daytona" from Habor Fright, it's actually a very nice jack, I was quite surprised. The steel one is freakin heavy though ... but very low profile.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Local tire shop had Hein Warner forever.( Me too,still have mine.) When one got worn out $$$ to fix ,owner bought from harbor freight, he hasnt looked back. Just there Monday,150 on 4 jacks. I wouldn't crawl under but they have served him. I have 3, regular-$50.00, low profile,and aluminum in race trailer. It's a throw away tool when leaking.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
After going through a few cheap jacks I got that yellow "Daytona" from Habor Fright, it's actually a very nice jack, I was quite surprised. The steel one is freakin heavy though ... but very low profile.
X2 I have the same jack.

Don

Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
Several years back, I bought an ARCAN 3 1/2-Ton Low-Profile Professional Service Floor Jack — Model# XL35B from Northern Tool for around $150. It is a 3 1/2 ton low profile jack with a 21" lift. I use it on a 2500 4x4 Suburban and various cars. Northern Tool has it on sale for $150 right now, and they sent out $20 off $100 order coupons.

It is overkill for what I need. The odd thing is the 2 ton and the 3 1/2 ton jacks were the same price at the time. It has been very reliable over about five years of ownership.

My jack is stored inside a car trailer or in the back of my Suburban at all times. My son bought the same jack, which rides around in the back of his truck most of the time. It still works fine, hasn't lost any oil.

The only thing I don't like about my jack is the weight. It is heavy. The Northern Tool website lists the weight of the 3 1/2 ton model at 98.8 lbs and the 2 ton at 67.2 lbs.

Northern Tool has ARCAN 3-ton aluminum jacks for $227 and a 2-ton steel jack for $100 (on sale now) with an 18 1/2" lift. The 2-ton is a steal, and at some point I will buy an aluminum jack because the one I currently have is too heavy.

I have always had two jacks on hand so I can lift the front and rear at the same time when rotating tires. Prior to buying the ARCAN, I had a fairly heavy duty NAPA jack that lasted close to thirty years and a variety of lighter jacks that I bought at places like Sams Club. The Sams Club jack has lasted a long time as well. When the NAPA jack died, I bought a Harbor Freight jack, but it only lasted a couple of years. One of my friends is a mechanic, and his shop uses ARCAN.
I have the same Arcan, probably 8 yrs now. I love the low profile, lifts anything but agree it’s pretty heavy. I think I got at Costco, not sure it was a gift from the family

Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just purchased the ARCAN ALJ3T for $280 tax and shipping included. It has rave reviews, so I shoukld be impressed by it. Will report back.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Arcan-Profess...8016199&sr=8-2

I have one of these for about 7 years, tough as nails, lifts everything I own. I've never added any oil and of course no drips.
Thanks for the link and recommendation. I just ordered one. The price changed from $133 & $8 for shipping to $141 with free shipping... I'm glad because I hate paying for shipping.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Thanks for the link and recommendation. I just ordered one. The price changed from $133 & $8 for shipping to $141 with free shipping... I'm glad because I hate paying for shipping.
You're quite welcome Paul, always like to pass along something that actually works well nowadays. I'm so glad you were able to get the free shipping instead of paying for it....................LMAO

The part that really sucks is I bought that jack 7 years ago at Costco, and only paid like $95 for it........ free shipping too, since I got to throw it in my car, and I had to drive home anyway..............LOL

So just for grins I looked up the Arcan jack on Costco's site, they still sell them for, Wait for it!!! $119.99, and they're still offering free shipping if you pick it up..........

https://www.costco.com/3-ton-profess...100222458.html

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have two Harbor Freight 3 ton low profile jacks. They've been great so far, and they get used often. One of them is about 5 years old now, and still operates like new.

They're pretty heavy, but as long as you're not picking them up daily it won't be a problem.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a few years on NAPA 3 ton. I like a lot. I paid more it seems, on sale on line at 200. I like the blue & yeller visibility.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NLE7916420

Old 01-03-2020, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like any tool, if you use it a lot, buy the best you can for the intended need.

Have had mixed results w HF floor jacks. recently picked up a cheap alum HF 1 1/2 ton alum floorjack to put in my truck. Took a few 2x10 cutoff boards & treated them with a router to provide a base & a stack board when needing to use the jack on soft ground. Time will tell how the 30lb alum jack holds up, I plan on babying it.

Bought a low profile (silver) 2 1/2 ton floorjack from HF nearly 3 years ago. Little over 2 years later right after it went out of 2 yr extra cost warranty, one of the two short machined steel dowel type piece bent. These go from the hydraulic cylinder to the handle yoke, just one of the small "plungers" bent. How the small piece bent, can't figure that out, nothing appeared loose as far as the frame & assembly of the jack. Went to HF, as ALL of their jack line is constantly changing, good luck finding a replacement part

The 2 ton low profile HF floor jack was used regularly, but got nowhere near the abuse of my over 35 year old regular profile 2 ton Allied floor jacks (fairly common orange ones w big white removable saddle). Have had to put seal kits & new casters on the old Allieds a few times, but for early Taiwaan 2 ton floor jacks, they have taken a beating. About 15 years ago picked up an older Walker big floor jack, have had to have seals put in it, but for a heavy jack that stays in the shop, hard to beat.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 01-03-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 3 ton low profile Harbor Freight jack that I've had for around a decade. It's beat up, a bit rusty and when I pump the handle, it lifts things. Other than loctiting 2 bolts on it, I've never had to do anything but use it.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got a Dayton branded jack from Grainger that has been trouble free for probably 15 years.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Senior Chief

I have 2 Harbor Freight 1.5 ton aluminum,1 -2 ton aluminum, and 1 steel 2.5 ton happy with all.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:41 PM
Senior Chief

I've got two "long frame" jacks. One made in Japan, sold by sears, roughly 1980 vintage. Started leaking about 5 years ago. Rebuild kits are available, i bought one. About $115 if you get everything. Extremely good jack. It was my dads. Its a spring project to redo it.

20 years ago, I bought a long frame jack from Northern. One of my worst ideas ever. Besides overpaying for shipping, it was a POS. leaked down slowly but constantly. They left out a check ball. And it started hemorrhaging fluid one week out of an amazingly short warranty. I called them and they basically told me to pound sand. I'm gonna take it apart if I can, and see if theres any fixing it. Two of the smaller jacks I have are from farm auctions, and took virtually nothing to fix.

I'll check out HF next time I need one, which I hope is never.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan